Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Conan the Barbarian - A New Take ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 03:05 AM

Instead of "King Conan", it looks like we're going to be getting an entirely NEW take on "Conan the Barbarian". I was actually really hoping that Arnold would've come back one last time after being the Governor.

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=15005

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 03:37 AM

As a BIG fan of the original Howard stories I find that article to be hopeful.

But theyve been talking about another Conan movie forever.

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 04:08 AM

Me, too. The original film has some nice scenes (and a GREAT score) but it's got less to do with Conan than Burton's Batman movies had to do with Batman. I'm sure some will whine about more remakes but this is material that really deserves a fresh start.

Boaz Yakin's an interesting choice. It's been awhile since I last saw but I seem to remember thinking Fresh was pretty good...

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 05:03 AM

Whatever the original got wrong about the character, it was very right when it came to telling a fantasy story. It took the story and characters seriously (definitely not the trend in the early 80s), didn't shy away from swords actually causing wounds that bleed, had one the best scores ever, and so on.

I've never read the books, so I'm not hardcore about exactly how the character is portrayed. The movie should be R-rated, Conan should not be "cleaned" to be altruistic and more of a conventional hero, and the story should take itself and the characters seriously.

Here's hoping Warners has learned something from the success of LotR and its own Batman Begins: hire the right people, aim for accessible but quality storytelling, and get out of the way.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 05:26 AM

Quote:
It took the story and characters seriously (definitely not the trend in the early 80s), didn't shy away from swords actually causing wounds that bleed, had one the best scores ever, and so on.
Yep. The travesty that followed it fell down on all those points (made the character clownish, cleaned up the violence for the kiddie market, inferior score, etc.).

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 09:10 AM

For those interested, heres a great place to start without having to go to ebay and getting the books one at a time and without L Sprague De Camp and Lin Carters additions (though I am grateful for the work they did)...
http://www.amazon.co....lance&n=283155

And also theres this, a essay Howard wrote to describe the history and world that Conan lived in. its a really great read. Enjoy!

http://www.cswnet.co....1/cn01005.html

And a detailed map based on Howards to cross reference if you want to while reading...
http://hyboria.xoth....gon_hyboria.jpg

A few of the books have this map overlapped on todays atlas of that area which is interesting to see what sank and whats areas of land are still there today.

Also a bit more Conan info from Howard responding to a letter that was sent to him....
http://www.cswnet.co....1/cn01004.html

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M
I've never read the books, so I'm not hardcore about exactly how the character is portrayed. The movie should be R-rated, Conan should not be "cleaned" to be altruistic and more of a conventional hero, and the story should take itself and the characters seriously.

If nothing else, the people in charge of the character these days have been saying the right things. This new movie is just one part of a general "back to roots" campaign that's being spread among various media.

The real hard part is probably going to be casting as there will likely be a lot of pressure to go for a wrestler/bodybuilder type, like Arnold, instead of focusing on the character as written. Conan is very strong but he's also equally quick and nimble and as much I like Arnold, no one ever accused him of being light on his feet or a credible swordsman Posted Image

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Yep. The travesty that followed it fell down on all those points (made the character clownish, cleaned up the violence for the kiddie market, inferior score, etc.).

one of the rare (only?) times I'm more a fan of the lighter, dumbed down sequel than I am of the reverent, serious first film.
Reason being Destroyer was much more in the vein of the comics which I was ( and still am ) a big fan of. IIRC Roy Thomas was involved in the story and that would explain that. Big (rubber) lizard monsters, fetching virgin princesses, the quest structure. I still dig it. I hope it comes out on HD DVD someday (the original should be a relatively early release).

that said, It's well past time for another stab at this character on the big screen.
I'm just surprised they haven't done anything with him already.

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 09:40 AM

Yea but Howard also talked about, many time, his freakish strength. He was able to break the neck of a supernatural creature, who couldnt break his, and his stories of full of feats which could only be done by someone of abnormal strength. In that same story he bragged about breaking the neck of a bull as a teen.

Whoever they get has to be physically imposing. Someone looking like Russell Crowe from Gladiator isnt enough(thats how I think superman should look). He should be larger.
Howard even said he was deceptively fast for his size.

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,536 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 09:55 AM

Also, all the familiar artwork I've ever seen for the character shows him with bulging muscles, very much in the vein of a bodybuilder. Any "ordinary" build just wouldn't look right.

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 10:03 AM

I vaugly remember a recent syndicated tv series attempt from a few years back and I thought the lead at least looked the part- He reminded me of the big guy from Gladiator who was originally training the new slaves- he is also in the arena for the "Battle of Carthage' sequence.
he might even be the same guy.

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 10:06 AM

I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be built, just that grabbing any old oaf with big muscles won't cut it (IMO, the Rock, while not the guy I'd choose for Conan, does have the right combination of strength and agility). Personally, I'd rather they just get a guy who can actually act and then lock him up for six months with the cruelest physical trainer they can find Posted Image

And that guy in the tv show was the guy from Gladiator: Ralf Moeller. He got the part because he's buddies with Arnold.

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 15 2006 - 11:22 AM

"He reminded me of the big guy from Gladiator who was originally training the new slaves"

It was him.

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted June 16 2006 - 05:11 PM

Arnold will always be Conan the way Christopher Reeve will be Superman.

Conan needs to be big. He has mighty thews and gigantic girth. Long black square cut hair, bronze skin and smoldering blue eyes.

This is Conan.

Posted Image

The Rock I could see pulling him off if the one liners are cut down.

And the new movie must have: "I'll fill your belly with a foot of cold steel, dog!"

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 17 2006 - 11:37 AM

Shawn, Ive got a really rare statue of that painting(which along with Destroyer is also on my wall). Its a Clayburn artist proof, unpainted. There are only 15 of these in the world. Heres a pic.....

Posted Image

To me Frazettas Conan is perfect.

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Arnold will always be Conan the way Christopher Reeve will be Superman.

Nah, for me Arnold is like Michael Keaton's Batman: Good enough for most people but totally off to me. Slurred speech, whiny, stupid, a docile slave, no fury, no quickness or agility, terrible swordsmanship, no black hair, too Norse/Germanic...nothing remotely Celtic about the guy (hello? Conan is an Irish name, after all)...yeaugh, he's just WRONG. He's got literally nothing to offer the character but big muscles Posted Image

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
Shawn, Ive got a really rare statue of that painting(which along with Destroyer is also on my wall). Its a Clayburn artist proof, unpainted. There are only 15 of these in the world. Heres a pic.....

What's the painting behind it?

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sheets
He's got literally nothing to offer the character but big muscles Posted Image

Would THRUD the Barbarian have been a more appropriate role?

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
What's the painting behind it?

Conan The Buccaner by FF.

If anyone live in near Pa, I highly recommend a Saturday trip to the Frazetta museum. I hit it a few years back with a co-worker and his wife, and since we were the only people in sight for most of the afternoon, Ellie herself gave a guided tour. I was never all that impressed with Frazettas paintings before, based on the stylistic tendencies (though I have always loved his pen/brush and ink work), but seeing the paintings up close I finally 'got it'.
Just mind blowing stuff.

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted June 18 2006 - 03:50 PM

interesting discussion.

other than his look, do you think "the world" of Conan can survive today's ultra-PC/conversative environment? i mean, i'm all for the gratuitous naked ladies, no-nonsense whoop ass violence, swordplay and all those things that inhabits Conan's world, but what of the feminists, conversatives, etc.?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow