What's new

The All-New and Improved Criterion! (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Also, these bunch are listed as Coming Soon, all for August:

The Bakery Girl of Monceau
Suzanne's Career
La Collectionneuse
My Night at Maud's
Claire's Knee
Love in the Afternoon
Six Moral Tales (collecting all of the above)
Kicking and Screaming
Seduced and Abandoned

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.

That Rohmer set with those extras (I've never seen the shorts listed and never thought I'd be able to) sounds amazing.

And then you have KICKING AND SCREAMING. Another one I've been waiting for. One of my favorite films of the 90's.

THANK YOU CRITERION!!!!!!

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
The headline on The Digital Bits that said "Criterion unveils its new look and Hearts of Darkness" made it sound like Criterion was releasing Hearts of Darkness. But it was two seperate stories. Oh well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So correct me if I'm wrong but the geneology is like this.

1984-1993: Criterion Gatefold

1993-1999: Eye-C

1999-2006: White line

2006-: Tilted-C

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I gotta say, I'm obviously still not used to the absence of the line and I'm not sure what I think of the new "file" style, but the SMT boxset looks fucking AMAZING.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
My only real gripe with the new look is that by putting the tilted-C logo in the exact same spot on all covers, they end up covering some artwork with it (look at the Six Moral Tales box cover for an example).

I'd almost rather they kept that logo off the front covers - making do with the "file tabs" at the left edge - and just used it at the top of the spine instead...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It'll take some getting used to. Taking a look at the "Seduced and Abandoned" cover, it looked too comic-booky, but that may be due to the cover being drawn by Mike Allred. So I guess "literary" fits it better. In that case, it's not too bad, but as mentioned, it does obstuct the guy's face on the box cover of "Six Moral Tales".

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Awesome!!

Too bad they can't redesign their price struture too...

Than I'd be able to afford every single one of these.

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator
I do like the new redesign.
But I wish they'd release something I'm interested in...for example Alan Rudolph's stunning "Welcome to L.A", "Remember my Name", "Made in Heaven" and "Trouble in Mind".

All American independant classics in my mind.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well I guess I'm the party pooper here as I don't dig the new tilted "C" look very much......in time it might grow on me I suppose but for the time being...feh.

What do the spines look like?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Looking at them again, I have to say these are beautiful covers. I'm not one to even care about that sort of thing, yet the Rohmer covers look amazing. Like book covers. I especially like how they aren't using the old LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON cover which totally gave the wrong impression of the film.

And the quotes on the KICKING AND SCREAMING cover, love them.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
isn't 7 samurai supposed to be re-released w/newer HD transfer? i have the first copy of the DVD (which is pretty good already).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Not a fan of the new design...the cover of the Rohmer box set looks like the elements were just thrown on without any rhyme or reason....and having the titlted C obscuring the man's face on the upper left corner makes it look very amateurish.

That being said, I'll still buy their stuff, cover design is a minor issue in the scheme of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks