Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Enemy of the State (Extended Unrated) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   AlexNoir

AlexNoir

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 06:06 AM

I've always thought this movie was underrated...granted, it's the absolute worst offender of the "enhance!" satellite camera trickery and such, but it has a clever plot, excellent chase sequences, and strong lead acting from three talented thespians (yes, I like Will Smith...so sue me!).
"Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Tell me, would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money...or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to...

#22 of 26 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted May 30 2006 - 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
Had to go plan to take over the world with Dr. Evil...

Actually, I think he had a prior engagment to help out Mark Whalberg with The Italian Job.

Posted Image

I love this movie, can't wait to pick this up. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,813 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted June 01 2006 - 10:24 AM

Another new bit is Hackman bugging Reynolds' house (swapping out the phone receiver). A little unrealistic IMO: that senior of a guy in the intelligence community would probably have his house staff follow a protocol regarding who gets admitted into the house and how.

Jack Black kinda got mildly screwed: several little character bits he delivered weren't in the theatrical (i.e., the "squeeze me" comment to Hicks and the "deep dish bush" comment about the nanny--LOL.)

I didn't like the addition of Hackman saying something to the effect of 'now you know how Pintero felt' after Will expresses misgivings about being able to watch Rep. Albert getting serviced by his aide Christa. Pintero was a convicted felon who probably was made aware--or ought to know--that he'd be surveiled by the feds to insure he was in compliance with the terms of his parole. One of his crew even acknowledges the FBI surveillance across the street earlier in the film.

Bizarre and trippy that Reynolds' (Jon Voight's character) birthdate is September 11.

#24 of 26 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,738 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 11:41 AM

According to IMDB:
Quote:
Thomas Reynolds' birth date is given as 9-11-40. On 11 September 1940, Bell Labs researcher, George Stibitz, demonstrated the first remote operation (i.e. over a phone line) of a computer machine.
On to the film/DVD. Wow, I know I saw this once before, probably around 1999-2000, but how did I miss the fact that EVERYBODY is in this film? Okay, not all A-listers, but as the opening credits were revealing names, I felt like I was watching a B-list version of Oceans 11 (Hackman and Smith obviously are A-listers).

Anyway, I really enjoyed the film more this time around and I think being post-9/11 and with the current state of things in the country, it plays out as plausible whereas before you viewed it as highly hypothetical.

Only one thing really bugs me. I know they stretch the truth of what technology can/can't do for films, and I don't mind suspending disbelief, but they have to distort things uniformly. I hated this:
They can make a lingerie store security camera, which probably costs $100 and was installed by some dude being paid $9 an hour, totally rotate and create image where none could be captured (Will Smith's back and package which was not visible to the camera), but somehow a multimillion dollar satellite could not make an image come out of nowhere to see Gene Hackman's face when he's on top of the building with Will Smith.

I can dig the super space satellite not being able to see Hackman's face because "he's real smart, he never looks up" but how can a cheapy frickin store security camera--which in real life gets such crappy picture that you can't even tell the face of someone holding up a convenience store!--get crystal clear 3D images of things it can't even see!?!?!?
Okay rant over Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted June 03 2006 - 10:57 PM

Watched this last night ---- did anyone notice there are a few shots in the film that jitter slightly? Most notably early in the movie.....around the 2:00-3:00 mark, for example.

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,576 posts

Posted June 04 2006 - 07:37 PM

I kind of stopped my massive DVD buying now that there is HD/Blue-Ray, but after reading this I had to go out and buy it.

I haven't seen it in awhile, and I loved it, especially the longer version.

Looked great on my Samsung DLP TV, I didn't notice any jitters a t the begining, yet I wasn't looking for them

all-banner.jpg

Forum Nav Content I Follow