What's new
World Wide Stereo

Crossover For Thiel SS2 and Casablanca III (1 Viewer)

anel-vr

Auditioning
I have recently purchased an CASA III with extreme DACs and Standard Dacs. My speaker in the front are 2.4 and SCS3 for center and powerplane inwall for rear. I am doing 5.1 system. I am thinking about adding the Thiel SS2 sub to the system. I was told by the dealers and Thiel that I should also get the Passive crossover for $500 more. I am confused because I thought that The CASA III preamp has superior x-over. Is this a marketing gimmick or do I need to buy another external crossover. Does anyone know about this/. Thiel and Theta users help?

728x90

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If there’s a crossover in the pre-pro, use it. Passive crossovers rob power; I can’t imagine why they’d recommend one for a sub.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
They may be advising for 2-channel playback only so that the sub integrates with the speakers. That does not necessarily mean that in your room there may be drastically different results. It may not make much difference at all in the context of a HT system.

anel-vr

Auditioning
Hi Phil and Wayne,
Thanks for your input. My understanding about this crossover is that it is preprogrammed by the thiel company for the speakers that are in the system. Furthermore, it is supposed to integrate smoothly the sub b and Rt, Lft , cent and rears. I am not sure if I want to spend more for this crossover. I am in the process of finishing this project. I will test the Casa cent crossover first. I hope to hear from you guys. Thanks you once again.

Thanks for input Phil.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

Fortunately, I don't have those problems. I use Thiel 7.2s for the left and right and an MCSI center. I have a Rel Storm IIIs on each 7.2 (crossed over at 22HZ for music). Rels have 2 inputs with their own volume controls (I think much like the super expensive Thiel sub integrator) and a crossover for the high (speaker) level input. I also have a Rel Q150 on the center channel (which just uses the high level input) for multi-channel music. My friend has 2.4s and the S3 center and a Rel Strata III sub. I forgot which Thiel sub I helped with (it was heavy and I lifted into his car and into his house and again when he returned it after the weekend - he has a bad back) but I think it was the II along with the crossover. I was there for a bit when we compared it vs. the Strata III for mainly music and in his room on 97% of mat'l I could not even hear differences. I can't imagine there would be differences one could hear with 5.1 channels going.

anel-vr

Auditioning
To all,
My issues are resolved. My system is up and running. I am really happy with it. I am curious about Casa III - HDMI upgrade? Anyone has information? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks