Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What are these bugs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 27 2006 - 08:48 AM

When I walk outside onto the patio during the warm weather months, I can usually look down and see these yellowish bugs on my arms and on my clothes. They are tiny. One landed on my paper, and it was about the size of a period. And, I think they bite. What are they? Chiggers? I tried doing an image search on chiggers, but everything came up blown up like in a microscope. If they're chiggers or something else, is there something that could be put down on the grass to get rid of them?

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 12:04 PM

Chiggers

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 12:37 PM

If they're non-flying insects try some Ortho Home Defense Max to create a barrier around your house and patio. I was pretty skeptical that this stuff would work but the piles of dead ants that I find next to my patio show that it's still working two months after I sprayed. Of course if you have aerial pests then you're out of luck.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 01:01 PM

chiggers are red

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 27 2006 - 01:30 PM

Quote:
chiggers are red

...Violets are blue...

Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 27 2006 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, the larvae do not burrow deep into the skin and live there, and neither do coverings such as fingernail polish kill the chigger per se. Rather, the larvae pierce the skin, and inject powerful enzymes that digest flesh which becomes liquified and are consumed by the larvae.

Oh, nice. Little zombie mites flying around eating my flesh. Posted Image

Quote:
chiggers are red

These things look quite like the picture at that wiki link.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
Oh, nice. Little zombie mites flying around eating my flesh. Posted Image

These things look quite like the picture at that wiki link.
well maybe you have yellow chiggers

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 01:11 AM

Chiggers are pretty small and you normally don't notice them until they start to itch. What you describe is different than my experience with chiggers.

Good Wiki info. I always thought they burrowed into the skin. We used to put amonioa on the wound with a q-tip because we thought it killed the chigger. They itch like hell too. I used to get them on my legs at the lake. They love tall grass. For the most part, keeping the lot mowed keeps them away.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 01:27 AM

Here's another bug question. I sometimes come across a rather ugly, centipede-like bug in the house. It's brownish with multiple legs so fine that it gives it a hairy appearance. They also grow up to 2 inches in length and when alarmed, they take off like a bat out of hell. When I kill these creepy looking things, their legs come off and twitch. Ugh!

Also, what would be a good bug spray for these ugly pests?
Recently watched- Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,655 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted April 28 2006 - 01:39 AM

House Centipede?:

http://www.ipm.iasta...in/housece.html

http://www.uark.edu/....centipede.html

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 28 2006 - 04:36 AM

Quote:
well maybe you have yellow chiggers

If what Jeff's saying is accurate, you're probably right that the color rules them out. These things sure don't seem as disgusting as how chiggers are described. They are more an annoyance. You look down, there are about five of them on your arms and shirt, you flick them off, and that's it. I haven't had any bug bites or anything from them. I guess I need to try to get a picture with a digital camera.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,979 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 07:53 AM

I would say gnats (especially if you're in the South), but gnats aren't yellow.

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H
House Centipede

Yep....that's them. Had no idea that they were actually beneficial to the house by preying on the other pests. Still, not going to stop me from killing them on sight.
Recently watched- Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   JoeyR

JoeyR

Second Unit

• 422 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 10:04 AM

Chiggers(red bugs down here) dont fly, if you are going into an area that you believe has redbugs(hiking, hunting in the woods) pull your socks over your pants leg and rub a light coat of vaseline above your ankle area and at the top of the sock and the vaseline will keep them from climbing on you and trap them.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted May 02 2006 - 10:36 AM

These guys fly. Maybe they're fleas.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:25 AM

Leafhoppers?

That was the first thing I thought of... except for the biting part. Perhaps you have some form of "Africanized leafhopper" from South America. Posted Image

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 07:04 AM

I have a gnat problem myself. I used apple cider vinegar to kill them, but they keep coming back. Will Home Depot or Lowes have a good solution for them?

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 07:47 AM

Quote:
I sometimes come across a rather ugly, centipede-like bug in the house.
Are you sure this is something you want to tell everyone? Posted Image

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted January 25 2007 - 04:49 PM

Death to all house Centapedes! I can't stand the sight of these hairy little bastards, and man can they RUN!

Too bad they're not fast enough to outrun my can of Raid which kills them in a matter of seconds. Posted Image For some wierd reason they're legs fall off after they die. And don't even get me started on Waterbugs. Posted Image Just typing the word gives me the willies! Posted ImagePosted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Neal_C

Neal_C

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted January 25 2007 - 06:03 PM

I'll second the recommendation for Ortho Home Defense Max. Works very well, both indoor and outdoor.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow