Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD Player brands most compatible with recordable formats (+RW, +R DL, -RW, +R)?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 04:38 AM

Hi, Which brands of standalone players have the best compatibility with DVD recordable formats (+r, +rw, -rw, DVD-Rom). My Pan. CP72 manual says it won't play DVD-Rom, but I checked a few of my commercial DVDs and they all have a booktype of DVD-Rom so I don't get why it says it won't play them. Thanks, BGC

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 11:50 AM

DVD-Rom = computer disc and/or video game and thats why the Panny won't play it. BTW I don't think any player is necessarily BEST. They all play regular DVDs even then some play with less errors than others.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 12:55 PM

That may be what they mean, but changing the booktype setting to DVD-Rom is supposed to make +r/rw media more compatible. Also, the commercial pressed discs that movies come on show up in the disc info tool as DVD-Rom. BGC

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 01:24 PM

"the commercial pressed discs that movies come on show up in the disc info tool as DVD-Rom." You stated your Panny's specs read it will not play any DVD Rom. Then if thats the case it would not play any commercial DVDs according to your disc info tool. In any case I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 11:31 AM

I'm not sure why they show up that way, but they do. I suppose I need one that will play the RW discs + and -. I'll have to do a test to see if the one I have will read a +R with booktype changed. BGC

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 12:48 PM

Most any new DVD player will play all of the formats you mentioned with the exception of DVD Roms.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 12:48 AM

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers has extensive lists of player compatibility.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   BrianGC

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 05:54 AM

Well, I burned a +R DL disc and set the booktype to DVD-Rom and it seems to play properly in the Pan CP72. I don't understand why commercially pressed discs show up as DVD-Rom or if there is an actual DVD-Rom disc that is physically different. Anyway, the discussion of will they or won't they play DVD-Rom is getting circular. My best bet is to get one that explicitly states it will play +r/rw and -r/rw. BGC