Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

New Kubrick SE's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
396 replies to this topic

#21 of 397 OFFLINE   Christopher Lee

Christopher Lee

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 04:43 AM

Jack,

I believe that the Warner chat transcript answers yes on your EWS question; good news!

CLD

#22 of 397 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 06:31 AM

Finally bought THE SHINING about one day before the chat with Warner. UGH. I'll probably double dip depending on the content of the Special Edition release.

#23 of 397 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted March 02 2006 - 12:32 PM

I'm holding on to the 2001 remaster of The Shining in 4:3. I just love the way it looks in a square-ish frame. And yet...I also cannot wait to see it in hi-def, in its new 1.78:1 framing, hopefully soon. The new DVD SE and future HD-DVD better retain Vivan's great documentary and audio commentary (she sounds like someone I'd like to hang with!), along with the remastering of Wendy Carlos' music during the docu's closing moments.

P.S. fans of The Shining (and Clockwork Orange) would probably want to check these discs out...

Rediscovering Lost Scores, Vol. 1;
Rediscovering Lost Scores, Vol. 2.

...they contain the bulk of Carlos' unused score for The Shining, and one can hear all the bits and pieces that were used in the final soundtrack, as designed and edited by the great Gordon Stainforth.

Cheers,

#24 of 397 OFFLINE   Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit

• 398 posts

Posted March 02 2006 - 04:49 PM

for those with hdtv's and skin err cinemax, full metal jacket airs this sat at 8pm et.
Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of...

#25 of 397 ONLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted August 14 2006 - 12:27 PM

Are there any new developments regarding these sets? September 5 is fast approaching. Have they been delayed?

On a side note, the Bay Theatre in Seal Beach, CA, is showing 2001 this week (yesterday, tonight, and Wednesday, I believe). It's probably a 35mm print, rather than 70mm, but still, it's 2001 on the big screen. Here's the Bay Theatre's website if anyone's interested: http://www.baytheatre.com.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#26 of 397 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted August 14 2006 - 01:23 PM

DavidDVD says a few Kubrick SEs may hit the UK on November 6th. I suspect we'll be getting something around that time...

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/spy.html
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#27 of 397 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Briggs
But I do hope we get an edition of Eyes Wide Shut without the digital "censorship" of activities in the mansion.
Jack, I suspect you know this already, but there is an uncensored, official WB release of "EWS" from Hong Kong (or Korea?). At any rate, it's R3-coded, NTSC, Academy ratio, and with all the digital "blockers" removed.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#28 of 397 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,268 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 04:11 AM

But I bet the music is still censored; I don't think Warner has released the original theatrical version of that anywhere in the world.

#29 of 397 OFFLINE   Adam Santangelo

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 06:58 AM

If I'm not mistaken, there was also a reflection of a cameraperson in a bathroom mirror that was removed for home video. I guess a lot of people want (or should want) to see that reinstated.

EDIT: Sorry, just glanced at IMDB. According to them, it was a boom operator reflected in a shower stall post that was removed.

#30 of 397 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
But I bet the music is still censored; I don't think Warner has released the original theatrical version of that anywhere in the world.
It's funny you mention that as I nearly addressed it in my last post. Dvdcompare.net has the following to say about the R3 release I referred to above (it is Korean, not HK): "UNCONFIRMED: This release is rumoured to contain the reciting of the Bhagavad Gita during the orgy sequence, and is supposed to be Kubrick's ultimate cut of the film."

I didn't realize that when I first purchased/watched it, and cannot here confirm. Since buying the R3, I've sold off my Kubrick Collection with the US R1 "EWS" release, and so can't do a direct A:B. If anyone can tell me what to listen for, I'd be glad to check it out to confirm this rumor or put it to rest.
"Only one is a wanderer;

#31 of 397 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,081 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 15 2006 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins
I'm not sure if I have the exact quote, but I believe it was:

"Stanley hated 1.85. He liked height."

It was a general comment but not related directly to EWS.
I don't think he ever said "Stanley hated 1.85." I am positive he did say he "liked height". Posted Image

BTW, I just saw "The Shining" on HD Net Movies last Saturday, and it looked great via my 720p projector. Future Kubrick HD airings are:

2001:ASO

11:30 AM ET - Wed, Aug 16th
8:00 PM ET - Mon, Aug 21st
12:30 AM ET - Tue, Aug 22nd
9:45 AM ET - Tue, Aug 22nd
8:15 AM ET - Sat, Aug 26th
5:30 PM ET - Thu, Aug 31st

Barry Lyndon

7:20 AM ET - Thu, Sep 14th

A Clockwork Orange

4:05 AM ET - Sat, Aug 19th
10:00 PM ET - Thu, Aug 24th
2:20 AM ET - Fri, Aug 25th
4:00 AM ET - Mon, Sep 4th

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#32 of 397 OFFLINE   Adam Santangelo

Adam Santangelo

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Malloy
If anyone can tell me what to listen for, I'd be glad to check it out to confirm this rumor or put it to rest.

IMDB says this:

The Region 3 release (Hong Kong) is uncut, but does NOT contains the passages from the Bhagavad Gita recited during the orgy scene. The verses, "paritranaya sadhunam, vinasaya ca duskritam, dharma-samstapanarthaya, sambhavami yuge yuge", are heard on the soundtrack (track 9), but not any DVD or video releases.

I guess that tells you what to listen for, if you want to confirm for yourself.

#33 of 397 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thanks, Adam!

I can probably pick out those words (Hindi has those nice, big round vowels), but I wonder if anyone can help out on the music? Has the Bhagavad Ghita here been set to Western music, either a 12-tone scale or the (5?) tone scale typically used for Gregorian chant music (sorta like the chant parts in the soundtrack that appeared on the theatrical release)? Or does it sound more like micro-tonal Indian music?
"Only one is a wanderer;

#34 of 397 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted August 15 2006 - 09:22 AM

DavisDVD announced that Spartacus is coming to HD-DVD in October, but it seems to be trailer-only.

#35 of 397 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 02:58 PM

Quote:
Interesting... no new Barry Lyndon? ;( Oh well...

Too bad. That's really all I was excited about....

#36 of 397 OFFLINE   Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor

• 995 posts

Posted August 15 2006 - 09:33 PM

Quote:
I don't think he ever said "Stanley hated 1.85." I am positive he did say he "liked height".

Did Kubrick want to shoot 2001 with 1.85:1 in mind?

Is there going to be a new boxset? Surely there must have plans for one?

#37 of 397 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,081 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmesh C
Did Kubrick want to shoot 2001 with 1.85:1 in mind?
No. He would not have used 65mm film if he did.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#38 of 397 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 12:54 AM

I didnt even know there was a WB chat. Is there a transcript available,I didnt see anything.

#39 of 397 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,220 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 01:28 AM

From IMDB:

Originally, Stanley Kubrick had planned to shoot 2001 in the aspect ratio of 1.85:1. After consultant 'Robert Gaffney' convinced the director that Super Panavision (aspect ratio 2.2:1) was a more visceral experience, Kubrick agreed and got MGM to pay for the photographic process. Since shooting a 70mm space film with monaural sound was frowned upon, Kubrick decided to mix the soundtrack in stereo sound.

FWIW
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#40 of 397 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted August 16 2006 - 09:57 AM

MGM were looking for another project for release in Cinerama after the sucess of How the west was won, so there is no way they would have backed 2001 in 35mm mono at an aspect ratio of 1.85 :1.
When they originally annouced Napoleon it was also to be shot in 70mm.Later when Kubrick was trying to salvage that project in the 1970's, he wanted to film it in "full frame"35mm so it would blow up better to 70mm .

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow