What's new

IT'S YOUR MOVE with Jason Bateman - any chance of DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
This was a severely underrated, sneaky, and very funny sitcom from the creators of MARRIED WITH CHILDREN that had the same subversive sensibility years before they created the latter program. The give and take between David Garrison and Jason Bateman was terrific, both characters equally evil in their own way. And who can forget the infamous "Dregs of Society" episode; it even has a section on the Fake Bandepedia.

The show only ran 1.5 seasons on NBC, so Sony could easily do the entire run in one package, and AFAIK there are no major music clearances to take care of. Who's with me?

"Norm...you're gonna laugh."

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, yeah. I'm definitely with you. This show was pure genius and Jason Bateman and David Garrison were perfectly cast as Matthew Burton and Norman Lamb. With their continuous efforts to outmaneuver each other, one never knew who would come out on top until the very end of each episode.
If the popularity of Arrested Development doesn't get them to release this, I guess nothing will. Just a hunch, but I bet Bateman would love to do a commentary or two if It's Your Move was to be resurrected on DVD.
A couple small corrections to your post: the series lasted less than a year (18 episodes) and the infamous two-parter was "The Dregs of Humanity" not "...Society."
Who can forget Eli mishearing Matt's sister Julie's derogatory chants as "Eli. Eli. He's my man. If I can't have him, no one can!"

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
My use of "infamous" was referring more to the content of the episode. Matt went well beyond his usual schemes in that episode and got in deep. The fake band he created seems to give the episode a notoriety that non of the other episodes have. For some reason, a lot of people remember that band more than they do the series itself. I've encountered several people who didn't even remember a series titled It's Your Move. But as soon as I started describing "The Dregs of Humanity" to them, I suddenly got an "Oh, yeah! I remember seeing that!"
NBC did air both parts of "Dregs," but you're not the first to say they never saw the second half. "Dregs" was the last episode to air on Wednesday before the series was moved to Saturday. After the move, my local NBC station began to pre-empt the show whenever they felt like it. I noticed other area NBC stations listed in TV GUIDE were doing the same. After the 18th episode was aired, the series went into repeats for three weeks. At that point, I don't think I ever got to see it again because the pre-emptions became so numerous. I'm therefore guessing that part two of "Dregs" never aired in a lot of markets due to a local pre-emption.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
This show sounds very familar to me... I think it was screened breifly in the UK... there was one episode I seem to recall, when a friend of Batemans character was playing football and if I am right, he was a kid who was kinda picked on... and he was in goal, and as striker hit the ball at him, the show freezed framed and made some ironic quip like, 'Do you really think we're going to let him save the ball' and the kid did, and everyone loved him.

Am I blowing smoke out my ass over this, or am I right?

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I remember watching this show when I was a kid although I don't remember any particular episode. But I do remember Caren Kaye. Oh boy do I remember her! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the photo James. David Garrison!!!! I forgot about him in that series. Now I see the Married with Children connection ;)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
If I recall, after the 13th episode they had the mother find out about her scheming son and the original premise was dropped and the show just limped pointlessly through its last few episodes. Nevertheless, the mother and sister were hot and David Garrison was great (here and in MwC) - a gifted comic actor.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
You are right. That is indeed It's Your Move. Mark's link is right on the money. The scene you described is the very end of episode 15, "Eli's Song."
Thanks James. You know, it was only a vague memory from about 20 years ago - and I remember really loving this show when it was on in the UK. It just disappeard in the UK.

I tell ya, I too would all over a DVD release of this!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see it on DVD too. I watched it during its NBC run, then reruns aired on USA as well.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I used to watch It's your move when they first showed it in the uk(possibly the only time they showed it actually)when i was a boy and would buy it in a second if it was released on dvd.

John*P

Second Unit
I've already posted a few times about this show on these boards...I've never actually seen the show, but it is pretty much universally praised by everyone who remembers it. After reading about the series on some online sites, I know I would definitely like this show. The premise sounds interesting, and I have a renewed interest in Jason Bateman thanks to Arrested Development. If "It's Your Move: The Complete Series" were released on DVD, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Please, Sony? :D

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I remember the show as well since I saw nearly every show that aired during the 80's. However, if the renewed popularity of Jason Bateman is going to bring any of his previous series to DVD I would bet on it being Valerie / The Hogan Family since it has a lot more than just Jason going for it. Therefore a potentially bigger audience including Valerie Harper fans.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
but it is pretty much universally praised by everyone who remembers it.
Well, in fairness, we were all a lot younger when it came out. Most critics and audiences didn't like it. It was cancelled early on.

So, the people who liked the show would definitely buy it, but I don't know if it would work for new audiences.

It wasn't a GREAT sitcom, by any means. It is more a nostalgia viewing, than an appreciation of quality.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'd love to see It's Your Move on DVD. I still have a VHS tape that has the "Dregs of Humanity" episodes on it from a repeat airing from sometime back during the original run of the show. I really should dig that out and see if it still looks okay after all these years.

One of my friends back then was dubbed "Eli" because of his resemblance to the character on this show. To this day people will call him Eli from time to time. Sorry man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks