Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Ten Little Indians (1965, George Pollock) from Warner on March 14

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image

Listed HERE at Amazon.com.

CD Universe lists the following:

Quote:
Widescreen - 1.85
Audio: Mono 1.0 English

Additional Release Material:
Theatrical Trailer
Featurette: Vintage Featurette Whodunit
Text/Photo Gallery:
Trailer Gallery

I have seen the 1945 version, And Then There Were None, directed by René Clair and I love that film, but the 1965 version that was relocated to an Austrian ski resort and was shot on locaton in Tirol, Austria has been unavailable on video for quite some time and it has intrigued me for quite some time. It was actually a bit of a surprise to come across this. Why didn't Warner announce this at the same time as the "Films of Faith" collection (Nuns Story, etc) last week? Great news, though.

IMDb states the following:

Quote:
The film was originally released with a "Who-dun-it Break" gimmick. Right before Ann is seen firing the gun at Hugh, the action pauses and an off screen voice tells the audience that the film will pause for one minute to give them a chance to solve the crime. The previous murders are shown under a large clock ticking the minute away. After the narrator tells the audience they can figure the mystery out if they have "paid close attention" (which is a crock since nothing shown gives real clues to the ending)he finishes by intoning "DO NOT BE SURPRISED BY WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE!!" At that point the action resumes. Current video and TV prints do not contain this fun "murder minute", but older TV prints (at least the one I saw about fifteen years ago) are still in circulation that do.

I wonder which version we'll be getting? If Warner used prime elements, then it might include the gimmick version. Seamless branching would be appropriate here.

So... is this a good movie?

#2 of 11 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,580 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 01:04 PM

I believe that this used to show up on television back in the '70s. My memories of the film are vague at best, but I do recall enjoying it at the time. Not sure if that is really a recommendation, but its probably worth a look. I'll pick it up if the price is reasonable.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#3 of 11 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 01:23 PM

Thanks, Walter.

I wonder if we will see other releases that day from Warner; Ten Little Indians just seems to be sitting on its own that day as a catalogue title - and a fairly obscure one at that. Not Warner's usual method of releasing catalogue titles.

#4 of 11 Vincent-P

Vincent-P

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 02:20 PM

I thought "Ten Little Indians" was supposed to be released the same day as the Miss Marple Collection.

#5 of 11 Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted December 25 2005 - 03:06 PM

You're right, Vincent, it is. Ron actually posted the official press release here: Miss Marple

Of course, Ten Little Indians is not a Miss Marple story. Ron's thread didn't show up on my search, unfortunately. Maybe Miss Marple doesn't mean a great deal to people, I don't know, but Ten Little Indians has been a n elusive film over the years. I actually discovered that there were German and Australian releases earlier this year, but their transfer are said to be not that great. Let's hope that Warner deliver a superior disc.

#6 of 11 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 06:28 AM

I'll probably pick this up on a bling purchase... I'm a sucker for nicely designed covers. Posted Image

#7 of 11 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 07:08 AM

There is a version where the main players, at the start, arrive by helicopter. I believe that it is basically a retelling of Christie's original story. What was the title of that one? Or is it this one? At the time, I remember thinking that it was a pretty good movie.

Quote:
After the narrator tells the audience they can figure the mystery out if they have "paid close attention" (which is a crock since nothing shown gives real clues to the ending)

They borrowed Christie's technique, but added a narrator. Christie always created the illusion that her mysteries could be solved; however, the reader could never solve the mystery because Christie always had a piece of evidence that was discovered by the protagonist off of "the stage". At least, I could never solve them. Maybe other readers had better luck.

I liked to read her Hercule Poirot stories but the "off stage" gimmick used to piss me off, because I always regarded it as cheating the reader.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#8 of 11 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted December 26 2005 - 10:02 AM

I think the helicopter one is the 1974 version with Oliver Reed and Richard Attenbrough, as that too, played on TV throughout the 70's.

#9 of 11 James Phillips

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 03:36 AM

So... is this a good movie?

Yes. It's good fun. Posted Image

#10 of 11 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 03:37 AM

The helicopter arrival is indeed in the 1974 version (and it's HORRIBLE!)

By the way, I wrote that little blurb quoted from imdb. I hope they include the murder minute because it was a lot of fun and I was disappointed when it didn't show up when the movie made the cable rounds a few years ago.

#11 of 11 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted December 27 2005 - 03:43 AM

I also remember seeing the "Murder Minute" on a TV print in the early 80's. It was a fun film. In fact, I was just thinking of the film a couple weeks ago, after reading about it in Maltin. Wondering whatever happened to it as I hadn't seen it since.

I'll be getting the DVD.

Forum Nav Content I Follow