Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Michael Mann's MIAMI VICE (merged)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

#1 of 406 OFFLINE   Nathan V

Nathan V

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 04:47 AM

http://www.miamivice.com/main.html

Holy Sh*t.

This is what Bad Boys II wanted to be.

Enjoy.

Regards,
Nathan

EDIT: Same Teaser available in astronomically better quality, courtesy of apple:

http://www.apple.com...rsal/miamivice/
The Tree of Life / Brad Pitt / Sean Penn / Directed by Terrence Malick / 2010

#2 of 406 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 04:58 AM

I'm a little Jamie Foxxed out after last year, but I have to admit, this is a good-looking teaser. If it winds up half as good as Collateral, I'll be happy.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#3 of 406 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 05:34 AM

I couldn't get it to load completely...I get the first 10 seconds. Hopefully, it will be pretty good. When is it coming out? And does anyone know if any of the original cast will be making cameos?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#4 of 406 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 12 2005 - 05:45 AM

I was 100% uninterested and ambivalent to this, though I did like the show when I was a tweener kid in the 80's. Michael Mann and the look have sold me. Mann has a way of capturing the essence of a location with some choice shots.

Definitely on my 2006 list now,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 406 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 06:03 AM

Quote:
Mann has a way of capturing the essence of a location with some choice shots.

I agree completely. Whether it be the frontier or L.A., Mann knows how to nail the setting. I always thought the real star of Collateral was L.A.

I also like how he uses gunshot sounds. They sound....real! The shootout in Heat is so powerful because the gunshots are so overwhelming to the senses, just like in real life. In Collateral, when shots are first fired, it's startling.

#6 of 406 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 06:32 AM

The shot of them in the car at the end is classic MV and classic Mann. I wish it wasn't trapped in Flash! (The .swf is easy to pull out of temporary internet files, though.)
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#7 of 406 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 06:33 AM

I didn't really think it was that great of a teaser, but it's hard to judge with it so small. I'm just worried that some of the scenes looked just like Collateral, and I don't think that MV should have that same feeling. Is Mann using that same digital camera he used on collateral here? It looks like it.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 406 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 06:40 AM

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#9 of 406 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 06:40 AM

I'm about 50/50 on the teaser. Sure, it has that Michael Mann vibe, in spades, but it is also supposed to be Miami Vice and I really don't get that feeling from the teaser at all. And a part of me wished they had revived a little of the original theme toward the end...
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#10 of 406 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,753 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 07:15 AM

They need to release a trailer with the original theme music...then I'm in! Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#11 of 406 OFFLINE   Timothy Alexander

Timothy Alexander

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 07:36 AM

I have faith this will be loads of kickass and cool.

First of all Michael Mann is all over it.
Second, Mann wrote and produced for the original series.
TAlex 700

#12 of 406 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 09:50 AM

Not too thrilled by the trailer, looks like every other action movie ever made. But, it's made by Mann so I'll see it.

#13 of 406 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 10:01 AM

I'm not really feeling the trailer. It felt a bit sloppy to me and not "cool" enough.

Also Colin Farrell ... I just don't see him in that role at all and the trailer really didn't help dissuade me from that.

Also if they were going to use a Jay-Z track for the trailer, Jay-Z's remix of "You Belong To The City" should have been a no-brainer, not the Linkin Park version of "Encore".

To be dead honest I think it would have been much cooler if they set the movie in the 1980s. I think even the young teen demographic would have "bought" that angle as games like Grand Theft Auto have been very successful using the 80s setting and films like Scarface are still very popular.

#14 of 406 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 10:16 AM

That looks GREAT !!! I'm a huge fan of the original Miami Vice and I've had worries about this new film, but after seeing that trailer Posted Image I'm there.

I never expected a carbon copy of the original Miami Vice show but this looks amazing.

Also, there's a much easier way to get the trailer at:

http://www.bacardilive.com/

#15 of 406 OFFLINE   Brandon_T

Brandon_T

Screenwriter

• 1,900 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 10:37 AM

I agree that the shot of them riding in the car is classic MV. I really hope that he can use music as wisely as he did in the show. The use of Phil Collins and Genesis back in the was the cherry on top for me!

#16 of 406 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 12 2005 - 12:26 PM

And a part of me wished they had revived a little of the original theme toward the end...

Although it would have been cool I'm actually glad they didn't. With Mann behind the helm I've been hoping all along for an update to the series (ie ultra stylish cop story) without any temptations toward homage or parody of a property that would seem so ripe for it. That Universal and Mann restrained themselves from direct and indirect references in the teaser leaves me hopeful.

#17 of 406 OFFLINE   Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 01:14 AM

Quote:
Also if they were going to use a Jay-Z track for the trailer, Jay-Z's remix of "You Belong To The City" should have been a no-brainer, not the Linkin Park version of "Encore".

If they had did that, the rap haters would be up in arms, like they were after the Jarhead trailer.

That trailer looks A LOT like Bad Boys 2...deux.

#18 of 406 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,888 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 02:15 AM

Have they wrapped principle photography for this film? The reason I ask is because Colin Farrell just checked himself into rehab (painkiller addiction).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#19 of 406 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 03:14 AM

Quote:
Have they wrapped principle photography for this film? The reason I ask is because Colin Farrell just checked himself into rehab (painkiller addiction).

They said on the radio this morning that he was in Uruguay filming scenes from the Miami Vice movie.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#20 of 406 OFFLINE   Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted December 13 2005 - 04:45 AM

Eh...it was okay. I love the series (have season one on DVD and season two on the way) and was hoping for a few more homage shots/sounds in the trailer.

But I do trust Michael Mann.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow