What's new

Monster amps.... what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Drewbert

Auditioning
I was looking into a used rotel or even a halo... but I found out recently that I can get new monster stuff for 60% off of retail. So that got me thinking.
The 3250 is a 3 channel 250 wpc amp. Seems great... but I can find next to nothing on it! Everyone says monsters not worth the money, but for this price is it?
Also, does one really need 250 for the rear speakers? Im thinking of some smaller rotel amps, and using the 1068 for processing....

ideas?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Surround speakers usually need nothing more than 120W. 250W would be complete overkill. As far as Monster amps, I've heard nothing about them myself. A nice used 3x100-150W amp can be found for $500 on Audiogon to power a center a surrounds.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Cost wise.. Check out Ubid...

At last check, they had AudioSource Amp/1A's for like $70...

Those amps bridged kick serious booty....

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'll never again support monster after their strong arm tactics of suing every company/business with the word monster in it's name.

kevin t

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
http://monstercable.com/power/produc...age=Amplifiers

Well, I think it looks cool and if it's $3g's and you get 60% off; then it's $1200.00 ? It might not be too bad. Course you could get a Rotel 1075, or an Outlaw,...etc for that.

I don't think it would be a bad purchase, neccessarily.
It's just hard to see past the hype of Monster and see what you are really getting.
Get it and tell us what you think. If you don't like it sell it on the ebay to some sucker.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
I have both the 2 and 3 channel and think they are great amps, a while back there was a sound and vision article entitled Krell Killers. I have had friends with Krell that now have these amps and think they are equal. At 60 % you cannot beat it.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I don't know much about the technology inside, but personally, I can't get by the looks. Extremely industrial (and ugly) looking IMO.

If they are anything like their cables, you do get half decent performance, but which is overpriced.

Maybe there's a reason they are 60% off...

:)

MikeNg

Second Unit
Hey Drewbert, how 'bout a group buy??!?!! ;)

Have not heard of or listened to a Monster amp. I'm a little put off buy the name as is. I say if you're looking for more power to add to your system and you can get it at 60% off then go for it. You may be able to turn it around and recoup all your $ if you don't like easier than if you bought some other brand at lesser discount.

If these amps perform like a $2000 amp instead of a $3000 amp, you still got your money's worth!

scott>c

Second Unit
I own one also and I`m very pleased so far. I`m not one to buy monster products but a 250x3 amp for around a grand is unheard of new. Their really seem to be built well and sound awesome. They look sharp and are very heavy at 90lbs. The have power meters that`ll tell u how much power is being used. Those meters are very addictive to watch and can be shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks