Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What to do about that sticky residue from security labels?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 11:02 AM

Okay, this is time for one of those more anal concerns. Lately, almost every DVD (or CD for that matter) that I buy retains that sticky slime on its cover, no matter how slowly and methodically I try to remove those clear stickers on the top, bottom and sides of the cases. How the heck do you successfully get the residue off your case when the security tags don't peel off so freely? I haven't had this trouble in past years, but for some reason this seems to be happening regularly now.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike.P

Mike.P

Second Unit

• 289 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 11:22 AM

Invest in a bottle of Goo Gone. I'm a huge pyscho when it comes to the sticky goo, and this stuff is great. Not only that, it leaves your DVDs smelling citrus fresh! A Nice sized bottle can be had from Wal-Mart for under 5 bucks and that should last you for years. Also works great for price tags, etc.

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 22 2005 - 11:55 AM

Yes, Goo Gone is the way to go. But Joe brings up an interesting point. I have also had this problem more often recently (with both DVDs and CDs). Have the studios and labels switched to a cheaper sticker company or something?

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:21 PM

They probably switched to a stronger adhesive. Remember, according to the MPAA and RIAA, anyone who tries to remove the security seasl and magnetic sensors is a thief (even if you bought it and just want to watch the movie).

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 03:43 PM

Rubbing alcohol works just fine.
For progress pictures of my HT click on the link.

http://community.web...om/user/danjh38

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 04:05 PM

Don't even bother with a bottle of liquid remover. You can use pieces of Scotch tape to get rid of left over security tape residue. Just get the hang of the on/off motion and it comes off great.

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   questrider

questrider

Stunt Coordinator

• 219 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 04:41 PM

Another vote here for Goo Gone. Works on everything, not just DVD cases. And a bottle will last you years and years and years...

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Trevor H

Trevor H

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted November 22 2005 - 05:29 PM

Actually I find that the faster you pull them off the less residue is left behind, and any that is left behind is easily removed by tacking it with the removed security sticker or a piece of tape.
Trevor Harder

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 5,233 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 12:15 AM

Mineral spirits will remove the stickiness; works better than rubbing alcohol.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted November 23 2005 - 01:45 AM

I use an Exacto knife to slice through the security stickers along the central slit in the amaray case, then peel from each slice outward. They almost always come off cleanly that way, leaving no residue. That said, I HAVE noticed stickers on CDs to be a lot more stubborn than they used to be. I too use Goo Gone for any remaining sticky residue, but be careful with DVDs in amaray cases - attempt to remove the paper insert first, since you don't want the Goo Gone to penetrate the paper. It could leave a stain. CD jewel cases will come clean with Goo Gone in seconds. The 'aroma' will remain on your hands for a good portion of a day, no matter how many times you wash your hands! Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,694 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 02:28 AM

I'll second that recommendation. I use tape all the time to get rid of the residue. Neil

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 02:34 AM

Even cheaper than Goo Gone is lighter fluid. Just wipes it all away in an instant.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,511 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted November 23 2005 - 02:55 AM

Another method is using a hair dryer which will soften the glue and allow you to lift it easily. But be wary of the surface you are doing this to as it may melt or distort thin plastic material.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 04:43 AM

Trevor and Neil are right. Forget the chemicals - the sticky residue can easily be removed by re-applying the security sticker, or another piece of tape over the residue and tearing it back off in a QUICK motion. It may take a few repeats to get all of it, but it REALLY does work (and is easy and cheap to boot). I used to have problems with this all of the time, and the chemical cleaner approach did not always work. Not to mention that liquids could seep under the plastic layer and ruin the cover art paper. Figuring out the trick about re-using the sticker and/or tape has saved me many headaches. The one situation in which it might not work, is if you have a very old residue which was never removed when the original sticker was removed. You may need chemical cleaner for that.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Paul Borges

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator

• 141 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:00 AM

To further what RoyM said.. If the CD/DVD has been sitting around on a store shelf for a long time that glue can be pretty tough to remove. It's annoying that they now put these tags on the top, sides AND bottom of the DVD cases. I think that's overkill.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 05:57 AM

This never worked for me - it just smears. Posted Image

Another vote for Goo-Gone. Posted Image

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,329 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted November 23 2005 - 08:03 AM

Really guys, - slice, open, and peel from the center out. It works like a charm, and no sticky residue. Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 09:21 AM

Like others said, just take the security labels off fast and reapply it to the leftover residue. Then take that off in one quick motion and repeat. No need to go to so much trouble with fluids and hair dryers and freezers and stuff...lol.

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted November 23 2005 - 09:42 AM

The new UPC code sticker they slapped over the existing printed one on the 1953 WOTW -on the outside clear plastic,is a bear-no matter what kind of a grip you get, or how slowly you peel, it still leaves the basic 'stickem' behind.
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted November 24 2005 - 06:21 AM

Another vote here for lighter fluid. And I have indeed noticed that the glue is more stubborn now than in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users