Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Soderbergh's "Bubble" in January

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted November 20 2005 - 07:08 PM

This is something that's been talked about pretty widely, recently: Soderbergh releasing low-budget films simultaneously in theaters, pay-per-view and DVD.

The first in this series (I think it's something like a five-film contract) is called Bubble and it comes out on January 31st.

Some people call this the end of the movie theater and the start of a revolution. I'm more in the boat of this being the death of what cinema means and the first major battle won on the side of movies as mass-consumption product.

Opinions?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 21 2005 - 01:44 AM

I'll pick up the DVD. Posted Image

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 10:54 AM

No cover art on the bits. Any reason? Is this still due in January?
Jake J.
Chief?
McCloud!
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"
My Sweet Cuppin' Cake of a DVD Collectionwww.thedigitalbits.com

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 11:13 AM

Amazon has the cover.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 01:32 PM

It is on DVD next week, in theatres this Friday (although not many theatres).

I think this whole theatrical/DVD thing is getting a bit overblown. Even my local news did a story. Yet, BUBBLE, a 73 minute, shot on video, with no name actors Steven Soderbergh experiment, never would have played local theatres, most likely. So, anyone who wants to see it would have to wait for video in the first place.

Ebert and Roeper both called the film "a masterpiece" so I will be looking forward to seeing it, on DVD.

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob M.

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 02:54 PM

Just set my Tivo to record it on HDNet Movies Friday night. I'm a big Soderbergh fan, so I'm really looking forward to it.
"So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar
Where I sit with the broken angels clutching at straws and nursing our scars."

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 23 2006 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
Yet, BUBBLE, a 73 minute, shot on video, with no name actors Steven Soderbergh experiment, never would have played local theatres, most likely.
If your local theaters are owned by Landmark, it sure as heck would, since Mark Cuban is doing the whole vertical integration thing with this. Even if Bubble wouldn't have played near you, Soderbergh is on a five-picture deal with HDNet/Magnolia/2929/Landmark, and I'll bet at least one of those pictures is higher-profile than Bubble.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,898 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 02:25 AM

I saw Bubble last year, and the acting (by local non-actors) is amazing -- it is hard to believe that you aren't watching a documentary. The downside is that the story isn't all the interesting, and the dialog is banal (as it turns out -- by design: all of it is improvised. During the post screening Q&A Sodderbergh said that the one thing that instantly ruins performances by non-actors is having them memorize lines).

If you enjoyed Full Frontal and his version of Solaris by all means check Bubble out. If you are expecting a conventional Hollywood film -- don't.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:11 AM

Why doesn't Sodderberg make films I want to see anymore?

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:34 AM

Quote:
If your local theaters are owned by Landmark, it sure as heck would

There are none in my area.

From reading about the theatrical release though, they will be all digital projections of the film in theatres. I guess all Landmark theatres would be equipped with it. That would be better than a DVD.

I was afraid it would be the whole, rather unwatchable at times digital to film transfer.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:37 AM

Jon, there's a Landmark theater in Cambridge MA (but I'll be watching it on HD-Net/Movienet).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 04:54 AM

And another in Waltham, but if Jon's in Worcester/Springfield/Western MA, it's a hike.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Shawn.F

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 05:02 AM

A friend of mine had mentioned that the DVD on sale at Landmark is going to be in the $35-40 range and its just the film only, no extras.

Anyone else heard this? Seems a bit steep.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 05:17 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of the press mentioned that the DVD would initially have a premium price - and I imagine that Landmark will be charging the full SRP. Still, I think that'll mean $30 for Bubble, as opposed to $40.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   JohnAP

JohnAP

Second Unit

• 264 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 10:37 AM

Soderbergh was on NPR today talking about the picture and the release strategy.

A small film like this would probably not be in the local theater for a lot of people anyway so I can see the logic here with something like this rather than a big studio picture. Soderbergh's reasoning though was more that pirates have the dvd on the street the day it's out anyway so why not try releasing it officially.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 24 2006 - 11:17 AM

Quote:
if Jon's in Worcester/Springfield/Western MA, it's a hike.

Yes, I'm in the Springfield area. The Hartford / Springfield market doesn't have one. Wish it did though.

And one other thing, I was reading in Mark Cuban's blog how the theatres that showed ENRON: THE SMARTEST GUYS IN THE ROOM (another Magnolia film) when it played a few months back would be getting a cut from the DVD sales since it came out last week.

Haven't read it elsewhere and he didn't go into further details about it.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 01:42 PM

Just got the DVD today from Netflix.

Very good film, and the transfer looks terrific.

Some great extras, especially a documentary on the casting. Two commentary tracks. One with Soderbergh, the other with the cast.

Worth at least a rental (the DVD is a bit overpriced right now, although it is on sale at Target of all places).

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted January 31 2006 - 01:55 PM

I saw the DVD at WalMart yesterday. I'll probably skip the movie becauseIi liked Solaris and hated Full Frontal.
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

Forum Nav Content I Follow