What's new

32" LCD Displays vs 30" WS CRTs (1 Viewer)

Ray_Banez

Auditioning
Hello. I am about ready to purchase my first widescreen HDTV since buying an analog 61" rear projection CRT several years ago. I am in the market for a 30-32" screen size for my bedroom which will fit into an entertainment center. My budget is around $1000. I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

32" LCD: Online Pricing
1. Syntax Olevia LT32HVE $1060
2. Soyo DYLT032A Dymond Series $930

30" CRT: Retail Pricing
1. LG 30FZ4D w/built in HDTV tuner $899
2. Samsung TXR3079WH w/built in HDTV tuner $999
3. Philips 30PW9100D w/built in HDTV tuner $799

I need some advice as to the following:

1. I will mostly watch broadcast HDTV and DVD movies. Which type of tv yields better pictures for this purpose?
2. Since the CRT's have built-in tuners and HDMI inputs, would this be the better bang for the buck?
3. On the LCD displays, they have DVI/HDCP. Do they make DVD upconverting players that output to this type of connection using an adapater? (I found hdmi type dvd upconverting players online and want to utilize digital vs component as much as possible.....Can I use a cable to convert from hdmi to dvi/hdcp?)

I am down to these 5 in terms of cost/features/size. The 2 LCD's have exact same specs in terms of contrast ratio, brightness, etc. Syntax has dual tuners though.
CRT's are pretty similar also but I've read about geometry issues on the net regarding the Samsung model. Picture quality problem was reported on the LG.

I don't know if I would get the best picture from CRT or from LCD? The 2 LCD's are around $1000 with no built in tuners but for less money, I can get the hdtv tuners on the CRT's.

I would appreciate any advice and opinions/suggestions from this wonderful forum. I posted here several years ago and am so glad that it is still thriving and strong!

Thanks in advance and regards :)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

DVI and HDMI are very closely related, HDMI is a newer sort of version, though DVI is contained within the HDMI spec. They are combatible together, through a simple DVI->HDMI adapter, though you will be limited to DVI transmission. HDMI provides some other capabilities such as YCbCr transmission, but it's not really necessary for DVD or anything.

The glitch will be with HDCP compatibility, both DVI and HDMI devices may or may not be HDCP compatible for HDCP copy protected content (like HD-DVD/bluray) so that's soemthing you might want to explore.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Best PQ = CRT (by far). Of those three brands I think I'd consider the LG first but I'd also check into Panasonic or Sony if they make models that fit your criteria.

Mort

Ray_Banez

Auditioning
Thanks for the responses so far. I still wanted to see if folks on this forum has had any experiences with the equipment I listed above. Does anyone have any of the TV's I've selected to choose from? What have been your experiences with CRT vs LCD? If CRT has the best PQ, then what is the advantage of LCD besides being slim and WOW factor? I assume CRT's have a longer lifetime than LCDs?

I am also leaning toward the LG CRT TV with the built-in HDTV tuner. I am sort of reserved about the CRT since from what I've heard that the TV or CRT's in general may have geometry issues whereas on an LCD, you won't have any? Is this correct?

Any experiences with the TV's above or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
The big advantage of LCD is no burn in possibilities. All CRT's have danger on that note.

LCD should also need no calibration in general. Although this is not always true, it is mostly true.

Nick-G

Agent
Any update on this? I am trying to decide between the LG and the Phillips that you listed, or perhaps the sony kv30hs420 if I decide a built in tuner is not necessary (the sony sounds like it is the best, but no tuner and I don't want to have to go sign up for digital cable and everything since I don't watch too much TV).

Just wanted to know what you decided and what you think of it.

Ray_Banez

Auditioning
Nick-G,

I decided on the LG because of the built-in ATSC tuner and great picture quality. It was between the Samsung and the LG . Due to the many complaints regarding geometry on the Samsung, I went with the LG. I love the set because it has a great looking black piano finish cabinet and HDMI input. I've had it now for about 3 weeks and by using my old analog Terk antenna, I was able to get all my local digital channels off the air! I feel that the built-in tuner is the best feature of this TV. I have not noticed any geometry issues so far and I have calibrated it with Avia which made the picture gorgeous. Black levels are great too.
I went ahead and invested in an upconverting (1080i) DVD player as well. I went with the slim LG LDA-511 hooked up to the TV using HDMI connection and the picture is stunning!

This is my first ever HDTV and first time into the digital realm and I will never go back to analog. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good Luck in your decision and let me know what you end up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks