Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ipod Troubles?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 04:24 PM

I have a 20Gig Ipod and have had no problems untill recently. I was running the old version with no problems and once upgraded to the new 4.9 version and things didnt work. I restored back to the old version and everything was fine. So after 3 weeks of Itunes asking me to upgrade to 4.9 and with a few PodCasts I wanted to hear I needed to upgrade to the new system. So I figured I would try it again. I downloaded it and installed and it worked fine for a few days now nothing will upload to my Ipod. I plug in the Ipod and it says on Itunes that it is uploading, But it says complete I unplug the Ipod and none of the updates are on the Ipod itself. Ive done everything I can think of. INstalled th eold version but the Ipod has new version software on it so that wont work. I re-installed the new version several times and still nothing. Please someone help me, I dont know what to do and the trouble shooting guide on Apple is rediculous.
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 04:03 AM

Plugged it into a new USB port and nothing, then plugged it back into the old USB I was using before and it works perfectly again. What the hell, hehe.

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 08:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem. I also own a 20 gig, and have been enjoying podcasts... as for your problem, I'll have to think about it a while, but www.ipodlounge.com is a great site with good FAQ's. You might try looking there.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 09:48 AM

[shamelessplug]Subscribe to the Widget Podcast![/shamelessplug]
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 11:21 AM

I'm not sure if my problem is similar, but my Shuffle doesn't much like any of the USB ports on my PC or hub. It fits loosely, and completely flakes out unless I get it positioned just right.
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 06:43 PM

I'm a proud owner of an iRiver, the best mp3 player in the world!! Posted Image Posted Image

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 08:42 PM

It never fails. In an iPod thread, a person with Brand X has to come in and proclaim their mp3 player is better, unrelated to the topic being discussed.

They all do the same thing, don't get caught up being a fanboy of a simple music player. Posted Image

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 02:38 AM

^^ LOL, so true. All MP3 players are like cars. They're all designed to fit your particular needs. Is a truck better than a car? If you plan on lugging bricks, it is...is a car better than a truck? If you have a long commute, it is... Posted Image

Jeff, have you done any updates to the iPod? Perhaps there's a conflict with the newest software on your computer and the software on your iPod. I see you say your USB was giving you problems, is it all fixed, fine and dandy? or do you still have issues?

Also, there's a way to reset the iPod (without erasing). You basically lose all your settings (i.e. EQ, shuffle mode, backlight settings, etc.), but it's always a good thing to try when running into problems.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 03:58 AM

One of my USB ports was giving me guff too. But then I found one that didn't. I don't know, but I'd try resetting the iPod. Maybe that'll work? BTW, which 20 GB iPod do you have? The new, colored one, or the still the old greyscale one?

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 04:46 AM

And I thought I was original, ........ and also no, no, no,....it really *is* the best mp3 player in the world! Read about it! Posted Image

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 05:54 AM

Don't listen to him, he's french! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 05:58 AM

It sounds like the problem is more with your PCs USB ports than with the iPod. I have the problem more with my laptop than with my desktop and that's because the ports are on the back and they get bumped more easily. Other potential culprits could be daisychaining too many devices or using a non-powered hub. And sometimes, the ports are just flaky or Windows has trouble managing them if there are too many devices.

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I got it working now but Im not sure what happened to make it work. Maybe the USB drivers just needed to re-install themselves.
I still have the old gray screen Ipod, I have not updated to a new color one yet.

I will check out Widget too.Posted Image

Also how do you reset without loosing all your song?

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 07:07 AM

Jeff,
http://docs.info.app...ml?artnum=61705
I've done this and didn't lose my songs, but please don't take my word for it 100%. I figured the worst that could happen is, I'd have to reload all my songs, so if you're worried, make sure you've backed up everything to your computer.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 07:58 AM

I'll have to this if I get stuck and cant do anything. Thanks.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 02:38 PM

What do people find are the best headphones to use while working out? I bought the Sony phones, but they do not get loud enough for my taste. Also, what is the best music service to use? Itunes really seems to slow down my computer.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 01:53 AM

iTunes is the best for iPod owners since you can pruchase the MP4 files, which are much better (IMHO) than MP3's (at the same bit rate).

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 04:31 AM

Which Sony headphones are you using? I'm using Sony headphones myself, and they're fine.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 02:56 PM

Good call on the widget podcast. Listening to it right now and like it alot.Posted Image Posted Image

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Hunter P

Hunter P

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted August 31 2005 - 10:45 AM

This doesn't really apply to the OP's problem but if you have a 1st or 2nd generation ipod then you might be in line for a rebate or credit.

Ipod battery settlement
GIR, UNLEASH THE MONKEY!
MONKEY!
"I am the Doctor of Death, and I have come to cure you of your life." --Endless Mike, The Adventures of Pete and Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users