What's new

Ipod Troubles? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I have a 20Gig Ipod and have had no problems untill recently. I was running the old version with no problems and once upgraded to the new 4.9 version and things didnt work.
I restored back to the old version and everything was fine.

So after 3 weeks of Itunes asking me to upgrade to 4.9 and with a few PodCasts I wanted to hear I needed to upgrade to the new system. So I figured I would try it again.
I downloaded it and installed and it worked fine for a few days now nothing will upload to my Ipod.
I plug in the Ipod and it says on Itunes that it is uploading, But it says complete I unplug the Ipod and none of the updates are on the Ipod itself. Ive done everything I can think of. INstalled th eold version but the Ipod has new version software on it so that wont work. I re-installed the new version several times and still nothing.
Please someone help me, I dont know what to do and the trouble shooting guide on Apple is rediculous.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Plugged it into a new USB port and nothing, then plugged it back into the old USB I was using before and it works perfectly again. What the hell, hehe.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Sorry to hear about your problem. I also own a 20 gig, and have been enjoying podcasts... as for your problem, I'll have to think about it a while, but www.ipodlounge.com is a great site with good FAQ's. You might try looking there.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I'm not sure if my problem is similar, but my Shuffle doesn't much like any of the USB ports on my PC or hub. It fits loosely, and completely flakes out unless I get it positioned just right.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It never fails. In an iPod thread, a person with Brand X has to come in and proclaim their mp3 player is better, unrelated to the topic being discussed.

They all do the same thing, don't get caught up being a fanboy of a simple music player. ;)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
^^ LOL, so true. All MP3 players are like cars. They're all designed to fit your particular needs. Is a truck better than a car? If you plan on lugging bricks, it is...is a car better than a truck? If you have a long commute, it is... ;)

Jeff, have you done any updates to the iPod? Perhaps there's a conflict with the newest software on your computer and the software on your iPod. I see you say your USB was giving you problems, is it all fixed, fine and dandy? or do you still have issues?

Also, there's a way to reset the iPod (without erasing). You basically lose all your settings (i.e. EQ, shuffle mode, backlight settings, etc.), but it's always a good thing to try when running into problems.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
One of my USB ports was giving me guff too. But then I found one that didn't.

I don't know, but I'd try resetting the iPod. Maybe that'll work? BTW, which 20 GB iPod do you have? The new, colored one, or the still the old greyscale one?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
And I thought I was original, ........ and also no, no, no,....it really *is* the best mp3 player in the world! Read about it! :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
It sounds like the problem is more with your PCs USB ports than with the iPod. I have the problem more with my laptop than with my desktop and that's because the ports are on the back and they get bumped more easily. Other potential culprits could be daisychaining too many devices or using a non-powered hub. And sometimes, the ports are just flaky or Windows has trouble managing them if there are too many devices.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. I got it working now but Im not sure what happened to make it work. Maybe the USB drivers just needed to re-install themselves.
I still have the old gray screen Ipod, I have not updated to a new color one yet.

I will check out Widget too.:)

Also how do you reset without loosing all your song?

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
What do people find are the best headphones to use while working out? I bought the Sony phones, but they do not get loud enough for my taste. Also, what is the best music service to use? Itunes really seems to slow down my computer.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
iTunes is the best for iPod owners since you can pruchase the MP4 files, which are much better (IMHO) than MP3's (at the same bit rate).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks