Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Married... With Children Season 4 - Syndicated episodes (and explanation)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 of 67 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 06:39 AM

Actually, what's needed is the new opening being placed overtop of original footage. They have to use the new song in the episodes they're releasing. The perfect example would be "Rain Girl" featuring the new song, with the material coming from the original version on Vol 2. Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#42 of 67 OFFLINE   DanielF

DanielF

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 06:47 AM

Ok you are right, but you can believe me that's the same only the other way round.
But if you want, I can do it once more.

So if sony wants me - Me and my laptop are ready Posted Image

#43 of 67 OFFLINE   DanielF

DanielF

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 07:12 AM

So here we go: "Rainy Girl" from Season 2. Brand new from the AlBundy.net Studios with the new theme. h**p://w**.albundy.net/download/season2old2new.avi 5,3 mbs btw: working time: 10 mintes. Upload 10 minutes too )

#44 of 67 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 01:52 PM

As for the amount of money it would taken to get the theme song for MwC...wow. Forget it. It was an astonishing amount that Sony was told to pay. Screw the asker; I applaud Sony for telling them to piss off. It was beyond ridiculous.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#45 of 67 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted August 27 2005 - 03:26 PM

Maybe they made that offer because Sony's proposal was equally unreasonable, or because they thought they'd been screwed on the fee on the previous releases (due to unexpected popularity of the DVDs)? David, you're just reporting one side of the argument here. It would be nice to hear what the Sinatra rights-holders have to say about the matter. Posted Image

#46 of 67 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,647 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 28 2005 - 01:04 AM

Philip, The song was written by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen. The current publishers are Barton Music Corporation and Cahn Music Company, c/o WB Music Corp (both ASCAP). Sinatra just recorded the song, and that recording is controlled by Capitol Records. His family and his estate have stated that they had nothing to do with it. Of course, neither Frank or his family objected publically to their use of his recording, as the show ended a year before he died. Just for fun, I went to the websites for both BMI and ASCAP. The Synchronization Rights, or "Sync" Rights, supposedly cover this but nothing specifically mentions DVD. This makes me think that they seem to be using the same cost models for movies and TV shows. If so, this is what could drive music licensing rights up so much. This needs to end.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#47 of 67 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 01:55 AM

I agree. I know opinion on this is split and that some people around here balked at the theme song being replaced but really, what was Sony supposed to do outside of not releasing the show at all which would have made no one happy? Why should Sony relent to what David is reporting as basically extortion for the theme song? As cliched as it sounds, it would only encourage further outrageos demands for music rights and the problem is extremely bad already. I do understand that music replacement in many instances can ruin the content of what is being shown*. In my opinion, this was not one of those instances. * Yes, Unfortunately, it does seem this time around (Season 4) the theme replacement is indirectly affecting the content as, supposedly, the theme replacement made it necessary to use the syndicated versions of some of the eps. But however many of us complain about how stingy the rights holders are and the outrageous fees they are demanding. I'm not putting the blame on Sony in this instance (and I do stress "In this Instance")
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#48 of 67 OFFLINE   Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 05:12 AM

Wait, this is for the theme song? So there no music edits in the show itself?

#49 of 67 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 05:51 AM

There's another reason why multitracks would be needed: To make a 5.1 surround mix for the DVD. I am not saying that Married with Children was remixed into 5.1, but let's assume it was (since otherwise, the excuse given to Gord makes absolutely no sense). However I would argue that they could have easily - easily - added back in the missing moments. For a few scenes, the sound would have collapsed from 5.1 down to old fashioned stereo. Would that have been so terrible?
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#50 of 67 OFFLINE   DanielF

DanielF

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 07:05 AM

For one second I thought, yes, that could be an explanation. But one second later I had a look on the DVD-Sets and no, on best-of and season 1-3 was only mixed in stereo. And season 4 is also only in stereo.

#51 of 67 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 08:28 AM

Sure, you're right. The people who are asking for that amount certainly have the right to come forward and present their case to justify it any time they want to. Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#52 of 67 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 03:48 PM

Matthew - I was using shorthand when I said "Sinatra rights holders"; of course I meant "rights holders for the song performed by Frank Sinatra". Posted Image

Yes, and until they do, we're just hearing one side of the story, so nobody can say for sure who's in the wrong here. It'd be great if a site like yours could go and ask them... Posted Image

All I know for sure is that Sony was too mean to spend a few hours to make the edits as mentioned above. Okay, let's - for the sake of argument - say that fixing those seven episodes wouldn't take the ~70 minutes it might take DanielF. Let's say they'd take a full three days of one of their TV-on-DVD department's editor's time. Just how much money are Sony losing on that? Would the sky fall if all their TV products were delayed by three days per release? Curious minds want to know! Posted Image

#53 of 67 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted August 28 2005 - 10:55 PM

Aha, it would be something I'm willing to do...except they don't make themselves known, and discourage the studios from revealing the info lest the right-holders refuse to deal with that studio in the future. Better journalists that me, from much bigger "publications" (think magazines and newspapers) have tried to get these guys to speak on-the-record. They won't; they understand how bad they'll look and what kind of public pressure would be brought to bear on them. If I could get such a story, I'd probably have an instant job with Variety. Posted Image

Philip, I understand that you're playing Devil's advocate here, and that's fine. I'm all for fair play when it comes to discussions of this nature. In the case of music rights in general, you're dead on. In the case of this particular item (the MwC theme song), though, I've pretty much made up my mind in the absence of completely new information. I wish I could share with you everything I knew, but I gave my word and (by agreement, or I wouldn't have been told a thing) I did not have my "reporter's hat" on at the time. Nor could I "prove" anything I reported on for this particular issue, anyway...it's not like I have it in writing or anything. I'm telling you guys what I believe. It's up to you to decide if I know what I'm talking about! Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

#54 of 67 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted August 29 2005 - 01:09 AM

Right - so if the rights holders are refusing interviews, or deliberately hiding themselves away, then quite frankly I'm much more inclined to believe the studio's side of things. David, thanks for taking the time to explain. Posted Image

#55 of 67 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted August 30 2005 - 02:49 AM

Unrelatedly (I didn't want to make a new thread just for this), apparently some Russian channel will be remaking Married... with Children, according to this acrticle (in Russian): http://lenta.ru/arti.../2005/08/22/tv/ - it's closer to the end of the article.

Pretty weird, if you ask me Posted Image

#56 of 67 OFFLINE   DanielF

DanielF

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 03:06 AM

Just an update: Sony-Europe just sent me the information that the RC 02 will be released in the original version (included the us-audio-layer) More info: h**p://blog.albundy.net/?p=38 Thanks, Daniel

#57 of 67 OFFLINE   Bruce M H

Bruce M H

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 04:27 AM

Hey DanielF are there any NTSC versions of this box set uncut? If not I might have to pick this up. Thanks for the info B.

#58 of 67 OFFLINE   DanielF

DanielF

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 05:36 AM

Hi Bruce! No, since in Europe PAL is a standard they are only in PAL. Sorry, Daniel

#59 of 67 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 09:05 AM

Oh my GOD GUYS! With all the complaining that goes on about the studios putting out a 'perfect' DVD, are you serious when you think that ripping a DVD and changing the audio would even be CLOSE to acceptable?

I work for a video production house and I can guarantee you that changing something as simple as an audio cue (when multiple masters are involved in the process) is NOT as quick and painless as you think.

To create a brand new 'edited' master can be extremely expensive. And while it seems like the cost shouldn't be a major factor in this case, it apparently is.

I truly believe that most studios are doing what they can to put out these shows...obviously more CAN be done, but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I also believe that these associated costs (to make things 'perfect' for all us perfectionist) are not feasable for these studios and any additional costs can wipe out any hopes for future releases.

As Mark Talmadge said, it's ok to complain and state a voice, but it's another thing to paint a studio into a bad fincncial corner (to the point that our voice can actually HURT future releases).

I can tell you that if I were running a studio and I knew that there were issues with releasing a few episodes 'uncut', I probably wouldn't be able to afford doing the 'right' thing to get unaltered versions out...and if I then knew that the consumers wouldn't buy the sets (if I released unaltered DVD's), then this would definitely make an impact on my decisions to release future seasons.

In other words, we shouldn't have to settle for altered episodes, but if we take an "Altered Epsiodes = No Sale" approach, we might be shooting ourselves in the foot if this is the 'unbending' attitude we show the studios.

p.s. I realize that the Roseanne situation was one where our voice was a major plus, but that's not always going to be the case.

And NEVER assume that your solution is an 'easy' solution. It's a LOT more complicated than that.

#60 of 67 OFFLINE   Bruce M H

Bruce M H

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 11 2005 - 09:24 AM

Thanks DanielF I guess I will have to import this and convert the episodes that are incomplete to NTSC. B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users