Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Leave it to Beaver Season 1 (Universal Strikes Again)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 12:42 AM

It looks like that Universal has some some kind fetish with double sided DVD's. With the exception of the remaining Magnum PI DVD's, I'm officially boycotting Universal Studios DVD's.

I'm so fed up, sick and tired of these morons and their double sided DVD's. I always seem to have problems with the Universal DS-DVD-18 format. Currently, I've been lucky with the Warner Brothers disks but as of now, I won't be buying any more Universal DVD's.

Here's the link to the Leave it to Beaver Season 1 Info:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=3982

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 12:45 AM

If you actually like show, that is a sorry excuse for not buying it. If it was cut, different story. But that's just being petty. If your DVD player can't handle them, that's also another story. But it's time for an upgrade because my P.O.S. Pioneer player from Wal-Mart has never had any problems.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 12:51 AM

It's not my DVD player, these double sided DVD's are more easily prone to being scratched with content on both sides then my other DVD's that are one sided. Oh, and my DVD system is a Magnovox MRD-120, brand new, all in one Dolby Digital Theater System.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted August 25 2005 - 12:59 AM

I agree with Dane. I don't like double sided discs either, but it's the show that matters. I mean "Murder, She Wrote" is double sided but since it's one of my all time favourites I still bought it. Andy

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Andreas_K

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 01:11 AM

If you don't like double sided discs and have the means to play RC2 DVD's you could always look at the UK versions of some Universal shows. They release many shows (i.e. Magnum, Murder She Wrote, Columbo, Las Vegas) as 6 disc sets over here instead of the three or four disc releases you get in the US. Seems the cheap double sided disc manufacturer they dug up only can handle so much Posted Image

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Katherine_K

Katherine_K

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 01:28 AM

I think you might as well give up on a lot of shows than. All the releases I've recently bought from Fox are on DVD-18s as well.

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 01:40 AM

And most of the Warner TV sets include at least one DVD-18. I too think all this complaining about double sided discs and the problems supposedly with them are either player related or the disc was loose and badly scratched. I have all 3 Abbott and Costello sets, 2 Ma and Pa Kettle sets, Airport series, Francis, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galctica(Big Head),The Munsters and all the Universal Monster series. All of the discs played the 1st time, never had to return any and most of them have been verified on all 3 of my players. No problems here and I'm positive that the complaints that have been going on about Universals DVD-18's for the past 2 years are the minority otherwise Universal would have changed by now and there is no indication they are going to.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 02:46 AM

No matter how good it is, there are some discs the best player will not handle well. It reminds me of when I worked in a video store in college. There were people who would bring back tapes that they said wouldn't work. I'd pop them in a VCR and they'd would play flawlessly. They'd describe the problem which obviously was a tracking issue. I'd ask them in they adjusted the tracking and they'd get mad, saying their "expensive" VCR didn't require them to do that and that something "must" be wrong with the tape. It's the same with DVDs. Sometimes my cheap $29 player will play a disc perfectly when my more expensive unit will have an issue. I've never had any issues with DVD-18s at all, and I've got plenty of sets that use them. I do agree that double sided discs are more prone to getting sctrached in handling, and I'd prefer they not use them. Really, though, it might be time to experiment with another player.

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 03:29 AM

Wow you brought back flash backs. I worked in Video stores in the 80's and remember this all too well. Also with all these complaints on Universal. They are not in the business to loose money so if these "problems" with their DVD-18's were widespread for the last 2 years it would be costing them a ton of money and they would have changed it by now. So obviously the complaints are the exception and not the norm which again leads to player issues. I agree the scratching issue on DVD18's is a concern but when they release 8 films with quality tranfers for $20.00 thats an incredible deal and shelf saver. I can't play DVD-R's because my Players are a couple years old so should I be screaming at all the makers of DVD-R's because I can't play them?
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,595 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted August 25 2005 - 04:52 AM

Huh, that's crazy talkPosted Image

At this point, I don't know why anyone would be surprised that Universal is using DVD-18s on their TV sets.

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 25 2005 - 05:02 AM

What a useless Leave it to Beaver thread. Can we get back to talking about shows and leave the double-sided complaints to the "Universal is the pits" thread?

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 07:32 AM

Greg I understand your intent but this happened because every Universal TV thread here turns into a lets bash Universal for using DVD18's thread which has grown really tiresome because it has been repeated over and over for the last 2 years and while some have this problem many more have no problems which is why your finally seeing a thread bringing out just the opposite. These complaints belong in the Studio Feedback thread anyway and not in individual TV show threads.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,116 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 09:33 AM

DVD is a 2-sided medium. End of discussion.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,316 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 02:34 PM

Yep My Battlestar Galactica set is translating to Xvid as I type , the set is in atrocious condition (By My standards) and I played them once and keep good care of it. This is my second set btw and I'm living with a few Pixelated areas. My suggestion to anyone who buys this disk is get the Eps to DVDr as soon as possible. This comment might not be PC but I'm sick of Universal disks crapping out on me
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 04:10 PM

It's funny how people complain about double-sided DVDs and say they're more prone to getting scratched. For the first 35 years of my life, before compact discs came along, records were double sided and I never once heard anyone complain about it and say they wished they were single sided so they wouldn't get scratched so easily. In fact, I was surprised that compact discs were single sided and thought they were just trying to gyp people that way. Also, after laserdiscs (most of which were double sided), I found single-sided DVDs to be strange. If compact discs and DVDs had always been double sided from the beginning, like records, no one would complain. It's just what you're used to, I guess. Beaver had it easy with his record player -- put on that record and start snapping those fingers! Life was so simple.

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 15,127 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted August 25 2005 - 04:43 PM

"Don't bother me now, Wally! I'm sailing!"

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted August 25 2005 - 06:17 PM

MRS. HANSON (Alma's Mother) -- "Mrs. Cleaver, I hope we didn't keep you away from your dishes." JUNE -- "Not at all -- they're used to being alone!"

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Jack Platt

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted October 03 2005 - 02:05 PM

Guys, Why are double-sided disks called DVD-18's? Sorry to go off-topic in this thread. Jack

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted October 04 2005 - 04:50 AM

The "18" is an approximation of the number of gigabytes it can hold. Here's a summary of the different DVDs: • DVD-5: Single side, single layer. 4.7 gigabyte capacity, 2 hours, 15 minutes • DVD-9: Single side, double layer. 8.5 gigabyte capacity, 4 hours • DVD-10: Double sided, single layer. 9.4 gigabyte capacity, 4 hours, 30 minutes • DVD-18: Double sided, double layer. 17 gigabyte, 8 hours

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted October 05 2005 - 04:35 AM

Joe,

Thanks for the tech expl about the single/double disks. I wanted to know that one for awhile but didn't want to ask anyone Posted Image

About the show: I'd bet that I'm in the minority here but I've always liked the later seasons of LITB for some reason. Anyone else out there feel the same? I really liked the show when it was in it's final season with "The Beav" in high school and the music intro was the "Jazzy" tune.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users