Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cheap web hosting/domain registration advice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Timon Russo

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 12:55 AM

My homeowners association wants a web site and I volunteered to look into it. In the interest of cutting costs to an absolute minimum, I thought I'd ask around to see what other people have used. I need to register a domain name, then find a host for the files. Is there one-stop shopping available?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike LS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 01:08 AM

Price will depend on how large a site you're setting up. If you can do with say, 1gb of file space, I can give you some suggestions. I registered a domain and got my server space for about $35 per year (cheaper if you pay for more time up front). Some will say to stay away from the cheaper hosts because you get what you pay for, but I've not had any problems in the months since I set my site up. PM or email me if you like.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Timon Russo

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 03:31 AM

Thanks Mike. Network solutions has this: $9.96 a month w/ annual agreement (or $11.95 monthly) No set up fee! Disk Space 1 GB Monthly Data Transfer 10 GB E-mailboxes 25 MySQL/MS Access Is this too good to be true? I have no problem with an annual agreement. And they make it look like it includes (for free) the registration of the domain name. 1 GB of space sounds like a ton for the few pages I will need.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 04:08 AM

I use Future Point

Here is a breakdown of thier services
Also note the free email addresses.

They will register your domain for free when u sign up if you have not done so already. Thier support is all done via the web and email and they are very quick to reply.

Good Luck
Chris Hovanic
"Go away or I'll replace you with a very small shell script!" :wink:

My DVD Collection
My Home Theater Pictures

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:39 AM

I use 1and1.com for my setup, they charge 6$/yr for domain registration and their servers are some of the least expensive that I have seen. Although I run my own server that sits which my living room. The 1&1 Linux Home Package offers everything you need to create an attractive presence for your family website, your hobbies, or for publishing your photos to the Internet. * Includes 1 domain at no additional cost! * 1,000 MB web space * 25 GB monthly transfer volume * 200 e-mail accounts * Virus Guard & Spam Guard for all accounts * 1&1 WebMail 4.99/mo
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike LS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 06:57 AM

I registered my domain through www.namecheap.com for $8.88 per year and got my hosting through UltraSurge. They've got some good specials for about $2 or $3 per month. Check out http://www.ultrasurg...cials/fmha.html

I got the UltraSpecial 3 which gives more than Network Solutions gives for almost 1/4 the $$. Granted, this is a small host...they aren't Network Solutions, but I've had no complaints so far.

I believe you can register your domain through them for about the same $$....I just registered mine before I found this host, though changing the DNS over is a 30 second process that you can do yourself.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Timon Russo

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 06:11 AM

Lots of good advice there. Thanks everyone. I've been looking into 1&1 and made a call to them this morning. I am already impressed by how helpful they were, so it looks like its going to be them. Their $4.99 a month package sounds very reasonable.