What's new

Best Buy's New DVD Display Is Like Curcuit City's (1 Viewer)

Jim Saunders

Agent
After all the debate about BB vs CC in the other thread I started, BB just totally rearranged their store near me. The Riverside, CA store no longer sells books of any kind. They moved the dvds from the back to the front and put them on brand new racks that show the DVDs front facing. No longer from the spine. I will admit they have a HUGE area devoted to DVDs, bigger then before, but the for the vast majority of movies, its front showing, not spine.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think I prefer spine. It takes a lot less room and therefore, a lot less time to scan through a section of the alphabet looking for a certain title.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Boy, I hope that's not something they decide to do nationwide.

What could their (and Circuit City's) thinking be? It doesn't make sense.

I wonder if there is a single person in this world (or even on this forum) who has their DVDs or CDs at home set up in this manner. :rolleyes

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Based on the BBs that I've been to, there's at least two different setups for their stores. So hopefully, the one that I go to won't be making a change any time soon. :)

I'm sure they also have test stores too. I hate to reccommend complaining but if this was the store I shopped at, I'd tell that I didn't like the change in displays. If they get enough complaints about the new setup, maybe they won't carry the change out company wide.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland

Sorry, my friend, it makes perfect sense. At home, you know what you have. But at the store, they want to catch your eye and convince you to buy their product. The cover art is meant to do just that.

Remember, the majority of the public doesn't go into the DVD section looking for a specific title. Or if they do, that doesn't mean they won't pick up something on impulse. Hell, I do the same.

They are featuring the most attractive portion of the DVD, the cover. That's their rationale.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

And it works. There were several times I just browse the isles, see a title I've not heard of and buy it, and only because the front cover caught my eye.

All my local BBs here in the OC are set up like this, they have been for sometime now. I prefer it over just seeing spine.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But, gee, Justin...it seems like you're really only seeing a fraction of their "stock on display". And, unless you take the time to go through every "stack" in the place, you are not going to see nearly as much as if the spines were facing out.

You see, I don't think the average DVD shopper is going to take the time to go searching the stacks to see if somethings might catch their eye...but if they are going in to pick up their copy of The Incredibles and can see the titles of a bunch of other films they might like, they might buy more.

And, if an avid DVD collector goes in to such a store, they might be put off by the need to wade through each keepcase with their fingers, rather than just scan the shelves with their eyes.

I guess this is just going to be one of those "that's why they still make both chocolate AND vanilla" issues! :D

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Strawberry... but that's not the issue here. :-p

I'm just saying it's intended to use the flashy cover-art to attract potential buyers. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks