Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Best Buy's New DVD Display Is Like Curcuit City's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 12:19 PM

After all the debate about BB vs CC in the other thread I started, BB just totally rearranged their store near me. The Riverside, CA store no longer sells books of any kind. They moved the dvds from the back to the front and put them on brand new racks that show the DVDs front facing. No longer from the spine. I will admit they have a HUGE area devoted to DVDs, bigger then before, but the for the vast majority of movies, its front showing, not spine.

#2 of 10 Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 01:13 PM

I think I prefer spine. It takes a lot less room and therefore, a lot less time to scan through a section of the alphabet looking for a certain title.

#3 of 10 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 12 2005 - 02:08 PM

Boy, I hope that's not something they decide to do nationwide.

What could their (and Circuit City's) thinking be? It doesn't make sense.

I wonder if there is a single person in this world (or even on this forum) who has their DVDs or CDs at home set up in this manner. Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 10 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 12 2005 - 03:35 PM

Based on the BBs that I've been to, there's at least two different setups for their stores. So hopefully, the one that I go to won't be making a change any time soon. Posted Image

I'm sure they also have test stores too. I hate to reccommend complaining but if this was the store I shopped at, I'd tell that I didn't like the change in displays. If they get enough complaints about the new setup, maybe they won't carry the change out company wide.

#5 of 10 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted April 13 2005 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
What could their (and Circuit City's) thinking be? It doesn't make sense.

Sorry, my friend, it makes perfect sense. At home, you know what you have. But at the store, they want to catch your eye and convince you to buy their product. The cover art is meant to do just that.

Remember, the majority of the public doesn't go into the DVD section looking for a specific title. Or if they do, that doesn't mean they won't pick up something on impulse. Hell, I do the same.

They are featuring the most attractive portion of the DVD, the cover. That's their rationale.

#6 of 10 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 06:08 AM

Quote:
But at the store, they want to catch your eye and convince you to buy their product. The cover art is meant to do just that.

And it works. There were several times I just browse the isles, see a title I've not heard of and buy it, and only because the front cover caught my eye.

All my local BBs here in the OC are set up like this, they have been for sometime now. I prefer it over just seeing spine.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#7 of 10 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 13 2005 - 08:06 AM

But, gee, Justin...it seems like you're really only seeing a fraction of their "stock on display". And, unless you take the time to go through every "stack" in the place, you are not going to see nearly as much as if the spines were facing out.

You see, I don't think the average DVD shopper is going to take the time to go searching the stacks to see if somethings might catch their eye...but if they are going in to pick up their copy of The Incredibles and can see the titles of a bunch of other films they might like, they might buy more.

And, if an avid DVD collector goes in to such a store, they might be put off by the need to wade through each keepcase with their fingers, rather than just scan the shelves with their eyes.

I guess this is just going to be one of those "that's why they still make both chocolate AND vanilla" issues! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#8 of 10 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 15 2005 - 04:53 AM

I like vanilla.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#9 of 10 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,769 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 15 2005 - 03:03 PM

Actually, me too. But with chocolate sauce. Posted Image

And, peanuts.

And, bananas.

#10 of 10 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted April 17 2005 - 09:01 AM

Strawberry... but that's not the issue here. :-p

I'm just saying it's intended to use the flashy cover-art to attract potential buyers. That's all.

Forum Nav Content I Follow