Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Humphrey Bogart : Beat The Devil DVD...which one?!??? Best PQ is goal...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 08:15 AM

want to get a copy of this Humphrey Bogart
classic and there are a *lot* of different DVDs to choose from:

http://www.amazon.co....322783-9548011

which one offers the best picture quality?

I'm not expecting Warner Brothers quality necessarily...but would just like to know which DVD version will offer the best that's available...

thanks!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,669 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 12:02 PM

Unfortunately, as to which existing DVD edition has the best picture quality, I can't say, but I will note this:

The (very nice-looking) print of BEAT THE DEVIL that's been making the rounds on TCM, among other cable movie networks in the USA in the last few years, belongs to Sony Pictures Entertainment. One would hope that Sony/Columbia would give us a nice R1 DVD of it some day, as they already have with another classic PD staple, HIS GIRL FRIDAY.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 12:31 AM

Peter,

thanks for the input. That is good news (about Sony)...I'll keep my fingers crossed for a "definitive" release by a major studio with proper film-tape transfer and mastering.

In the meantime (while I wait), can anyone recommend the best current DVD version? c'mon Bogart fans...someone out there *has* to have already gone through all of this...

Thanks!

dave Posted Image

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 12:42 AM

Columbia released this on Laser in a very nice print so maybe one of the PD companies may have taken this transfer for their DVD. Regretably I haven't seen any of them myself since I have the laser.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 01:17 AM

Dave, I originally had a Madacy version - needless to say, it was terrible. Sorting through WalMart's bargain bin, I picked up a Platinum version for a couple of bucks which was much better than the Madacy but is by no means great. There is a weird audio dropout early on in the film which lasts for about 3-4 seconds... there has to be a better version.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Fredric

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 01:46 AM

I've got the Platinum and it's all right. The big question is "which one is the uncut version, with the different opening?"
Fredric
The Frankenheimer Group
http://groups.yahoo..../frankenheimer/

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jason-D

Jason-D

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted April 12 2005 - 05:00 AM

I have the Delta version and it looks pretty good to me. The only quibble is that a watermark has been added in one corner for a short period of time. This makes me think that it might be one of the better transfers available since they are trying to protect it. In order to answer any questions about a version with a different opening it would help to know what is different about the opening.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Fredric

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 01:41 AM

It's been a while since I've done any research, but I found this on Amazon.com:

Sorry to be insisting, but I seem to have gone on a real crusade re "Beat the Devil". I didn't want to, I just wanted to buy a decent DVD version. O boy! There isn't any. And it's not only the quality that is lacking, its the content. All you get is the US recut of Huston's film (1954, 89', not 1953, 100'). It really changes the character of the movie. To the bad.
Check: Scene 1 should not be the flashback of the four crooks being marched off to the band - there is no reason to tell the plot as a flashback anyway. Spoils the whole layout. Scene 1 should be the following (censored in the US by the 50s - 50s, still sold today!!! - Censorship Board):

Running Time: about 3'

1 The Chelms, EU on the right, a walking stick in his right, JJ on the left, a basket over her left arm, walking towards you down a street. Camera first full shot, then moving in to half shot (waist upwards) , then half portrait (bust upwards). They are followed by a bunch of children, half seen behind their backs. A man they pass turns round to stare at them unpleasently. They turn round (towards each other).

2 Portrait shot of six small boys looking very ugly, glaring at them. Mouth movements as if they were about to spit.

3 The couple turns again, resuming their walk.

EU: I must say I do resent the way these people stare at us. You'd think they might be going to spit.
JJ: (spits over her left shoulder)
EU: Gwendolen, dash it all!
JJ: Here, it's unlucky to have someone spit at you unless you spit first.
EU: What a filthy superstition,
JJ: (chantsPosted Image May yours be defiled!
EU: What's that about?
JJ: These people may be thinking of putting a curse on us, like „may your grandmothers be defiled". That's why I say it first, just in case.
EU: Wherefrom do you get all this stuff?
JJ: My old Spanish nurse told me.
EU: Surely you don't believe it now. You were only a child then.
JJ: She wasn't a child. She was old.
EU: I only wonder why your parents left you in charge of such a dirty, ignorant woman.
JJ: They cared for nothing except to have me off their hands. I told you that. They'd have sold me on the slave market if they hadn't been afraid of the scandal. Besides my father was incompetent. I suppose he just didn't know how to contact the slave people.
EU: I don't believe a word of it. Probably they were very fond of you, really.
JJ: (making as if to spit again)
EU: Stop it, Gwendolen! Don't do it!
JJ: You'll be sorry if you run into bad luck just because you didn't take proper precautions. Suppose when we get to Africa there is a native raising and they are slaughtering all the Whites! (prepares to spit again)
EU: Gwendolen!
JJ: If you don't let me spit I'll just feel like standing here in the street and screeming with terror!
EU: (looking to the left) Stop it, Gwendolen! Look: those men!
JJ: (looks to the left too)
EU: They might be fellow passengers.

4 Morley, Marco Tulli, Peter Lorre descending down a street.

Quite a difference, isn't it? Well, ask for the original!...
Fredric
The Frankenheimer Group

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 01:52 AM

So is that saying that there is no current DVD containing the complete uncut film?

I don't know much about this film myself (have yet to see it)...I'm doing research on behalf of a friend who really wants to come over and watch it on my projection system...so I figured "hey...I'll buy it on DVD since I love Bogart films and wouldn't mind owning it". Now I'm discovering there are bunch of public-domain-esque DVD releases and a controversy about a cut versus uncut version...what an education!

Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Fredric

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted April 13 2005 - 08:20 AM

I gave up trying to find the uncut version. I got the Platinum version of the DVD and I've been quite happy with that. It even has trivia!
Fredric
The Frankenheimer Group

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 03:30 AM

Columbia should have the original- if they could release a legit version of His Girl Friday despite PD versions, why not the same for this film??
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 14 2005 - 04:36 AM

I guess I failed to ask (and the answer is probably no anyway) but is it out on "official" DVD in any other region? -dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users