-

Photo
- - - - -

Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" coming to SACD in May!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 06:33 PM

For the 20th anniversary of its release, this seminal album will get the 5.1 surround sound treatment on SACD. From Mark Knopfler's official website....

http://www.mark-knop....s/new_news.php
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#2 of 56 OFFLINE   Geremia P.

Geremia P.

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted April 08 2005 - 10:06 PM

I'm assuming this is a UK release, right?

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 01:23 AM

This was recorded at 44.1/16bit, so I don't expect much of an improvement in sound quality.

Artistically and sonically, I'd prefer Love Over Gold.

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 02:17 AM

Great news. I have been waiting for some Hi-res Dire Straits. Like Marc said, I wouldn't hold up too much hope for improvement on the stereo track, but there are a lot of possibilities for a nice 5.1 mix.

I would assume this would get a DVD-A/CD double disc release in the U.S since Warner distributes it here and the other Knopfler discs got the same treatment (SA-CD overseas, Double Disc in the U.S.)

J

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 02:44 AM

Since this was a DDD recording, I would think that a DVD-A would be the preferred choice, not that an SACD will not sound great.

This is a great choice, but I would have preferred Love Over Gold, probably the finest recording I own, regardless of the media.

I think I have heard Money For Nothing a few times too many! Then again, I said the same thing about Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic, yet the 5.1 SACD totally rocked.

BGL

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 04:31 AM

I'll be ordering atleast one copy!Posted Image It's time to update or supplement my vinyl here! Cheery-oh!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 06:02 AM

Has it really been 20 years since we all "wanted my MTV"? This one will be on the wish list, too.

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted April 09 2005 - 07:34 AM

Should be interesting. The XRCD2 I have sounds as soncically good as many hi-rez discs.

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 12:15 PM

Maximum respect for Dire Straits, but I've heard BIA too many times to invest again. I so wanted this format to succeed.

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 09 2005 - 07:12 PM

Currently there are 2,942 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net, and with May 9th being just a month away, will "Brothers In Arms" become the 3,000th SACD titles released?

Edit: There're an average of 76 SACD titles added to that website each month for the first 3 months of 2005.

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   Justin Lane

Justin Lane

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 04:41 AM

Quote:
Currently there are 2,942 SACD titles listed at sa-cd.net, and with May 9th being just a month away, will "Brothers In Arms" become the 3,000th SACD titles released?

Would this mean anything?

J

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 05:11 AM

Quote:
Edit: There're an average of 76 SACD titles added to that website each month for the first 3 months of 2005.

So does that mean we should ignore your "Save SACD Petition" post?

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze

Producer

• 3,134 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
This was recorded at 44.1/16bit, so I don't expect much of an improvement in sound quality.
I agree, which makes me wonder about that pesky "upsampling" feature new CD players and some receivers have. The big news for me is the surround track of course.

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 05:23 PM

Since this is a low-res PCM recording, I'll just pick up the domestic Warner Bros DVD-A instead of importing the SACD.

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 10 2005 - 06:10 PM

Quote:

Would this mean anything?

No. Just wondering.

Quote:
So does that mean we should ignore your "Save SACD Petition" post?

It's up to you.

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 01:11 AM

There could be sonic improvements even with a low rez digital master. You could have a better mastering process and a lower jitter production process in an SACD.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Should be interesting. The XRCD2 I have sounds as soncically good as many hi-rez discs.

I agree. In fact, it's the disc I use to demo my system...even more so than some of the SACDs/DVD-As I own. Using a Musical Fidelity A3CD transport > MF A324 DAC upsampling to 24-bit/192kHz, I doubt many could tell.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
I agree. In fact, it's the disc I use to demo my system...even more so than some of the SACDs/DVD-As I own. Using a Musical Fidelity A3CD transport > MF A324 DAC upsampling to 24-bit/192kHz, I doubt many could tell.

Are you suggesting that high-res stereo is a waste of time and that the industry should focus on better Redbook mastering?

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted April 11 2005 - 06:58 PM

Link to Amazon UK for pre-order of "Brothers In Arms" SACD....

http://www.amazon.co....Fencoding=UTF8

Brian Moura's article on highfidelityreview.com regarding the upcoming "BIA" SACD, including a second version....

http://www.highfidel....umber=15140897

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,819 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted April 12 2005 - 04:02 AM

Danny, thanks for the info. I may be in the UK in the near future and may pick up a copy for a friend and an extra one. If I like it better than the XRCD2 I could keep it and if not trade or sell it. Michael, Brothers in Arms in the only XRCD2 I have. They pay careful attention to the mastering process - http://www.xrcd.net/...ing/process.asp

"The xrcd process starts at the mastering level. The analog signal is taken directly from the mastering console and digitized using JVC's 20 Bit K2 Super Coding. The K2 is a 20 bit, 128 times over-sampling analog to digital converter which provides a dynamic range of 108 dB, -96db THD, flat frequency response in the passband to within +/- .05dB, and a substantial reduction of harmonic distortion for low level signals. The K2 Super Coding also provides a bit down mode to convert 20 bits to 16 bits, and interface signal reshaping to eliminate time base jitter in the digital data stream....

These two functions are taken advantage of during manufacturing. The 20 bit digital signal is then transferred to a PCM-9000 using SDIF-2. The PCM-9000 stores the information on a magneto-optical disk instead of transferring it to the U-matic 1630 format tape. The xrcd process takes advantage of the stability of the magneto-optical disk, as well as its 20 bit capacity, by using it as the audio storage medium for delivery to manufacturing.

At the JVC manufacturing plant in Yokohama, the 20 bit PCM-9000 magneto-optical disk is converted to 16 bits using the K2 Super Coding in bit down mode, via a SDIF-2 connection. This stage resolves the high resolution 20 bit signal to 16 bits while retaining the integrity of the low level information, which insures a true 16 bit dynamic range without using noise shaping. The 16 bit signal is then EFM encoded.

Another K2 circuit, called the K2 Laser, is used to reshape the EFM signal right before going to the laser of the glass cutter. This last stage is the same circuit used for the K2 Super Coding interface, which eliminates any time based jitter that may be present in the data stream. Throughout this process, the word clock is amplified and distributed to the other stages to keep signal quality at a maximum. Similarly, all equipment is run off regulated AC power feeds to provide a pure base from which to work. All cables and connections between equipment use the SDIF-2 interface for sonic quality and music integrity. Tests determined the SDIF-2 offered a superior transmission of digital audio, far above the AES/EBU standard. A variety of materials, including 24K gold and pure copper were tested. Ultimately aluminum was decided upon after extensive listening tests. The end result of this manufacturing process is the highest quality digital transfer from mastering to compact disc."

All I can say from Brothers in Arms (and I have a fairly high end system) and MoFis and any quality transfers such as these, it shows that great sound can be gotten from CD. The question I have is one of price and quality vs. SACD (or DAD ar any other high quality disc - I love the DADs I have too). I'm hoping to eventually be able to compare Brothers in Arms and reach my own conclusions at least based on that disc. I know the XRCD2 sounds superb.

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow