ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Title: The Island

Tagline: Your time will come...

Genre: Action, Thriller, Science Fiction, Adventure

Director: Michael Bay

Cast: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Djimon Hounsou, Sean Bean, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, Ethan Phillips, Brian Stepanek, Noa Tishby, Siobhan Flynn, Troy Blendell, Jamie McBride, Kevin McCorkle, Gary Nickens, Kathleen Rose Perkins, Katy Boyer, Wendy Haines, Glenn Morshower, Shawnee Smith, Max Baker, Phil Abrams, Svetlana Efremova, Randy Oglesby, Yvette Nicole Brown, Taylor Gilbert, Tim Halligan, Michael Canavan, Jimmy Smagula, Ben Tolpin, Rich Hutchman, Gonzalo Menendez, Olivia Tracey, Ray Xifo, Mary Pat Gleason, Whitney Dylan, Mitzi Martin, Shelby Leverington, Don Creech, Richard V. Licata, Chris Ellis, Eric Stonestreet, Kenneth Hughes, Richard Whiten, Robert Sherman, Ashley Yegan, Lewis Dauber, Eamon Behrens, Alex Carter, Kevin Daniels, Grant Garrison, Brian Leckner, Dakota Mitchell, Martin Papazian, Phil Somerville, Ryan Tasz, Kirk Ward, Kelvin Han Yee, Don Michael Paul, James Granoff, James Hart, Trent Ford, Thomas Ely Sage, Jake Soldera, Mark Christopher Lawrence, Matt McColm

Release: 2005-07-21

Runtime: 136

Plot: In 2019, Lincoln Six-Echo is a resident of a seemingly "Utopian" but contained facility. Like all of the inhabitants of this carefully-controlled environment, Lincoln hopes to be chosen to go to The Island — reportedly the last uncontaminated location on the planet. But Lincoln soon discovers that everything about his existence is a lie.

Directed by Michael Bay (sound of your mouse closing the window):
http://www.apple.com/trailers/dreamworks/the_island/
I'll be seeing it. It looks like this may be another "The Rock," the only Bay movie that many Bay haters can stand to watch.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It looks like this may be another "The Rock," the only Bay movie that many Bay haters can stand to watch.
I don't think it looks much like "The Rock" at all. Looks like a high-concept SF piece similar to "Minority Report".
Wether it actually has depth, that's another question. :D
I do have to say that this is probably the most interested I've been in a Bay film since "The Rock".
Jason

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Looks far less like Minority Report and far more like "The Matrix" and "Dark City."

The trailer pretty much tells you that anything we see before they "wake up" is fake, thus robbing some of the film of tension and impact.

Looks slick and well produced, but we'll see if the story is any good. Bay's record, for me, is spotty at best. There are solid actors involved in this, but that's certainly no guarantee of quality.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't think it looks much like "The Rock" at all. Looks like a high-concept SF piece similar to "Minority Report".
I didn't say it was going to be like "The Rock" in terms of story, but in terms of more mass appeal.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Bay can certainly frame shots. This film does have a stellar cast, though. Bean, Hounsou, Buscemi; plus the two leads are incredible.

I will also state that Scarlett looks scorching in this.

I'll definitely see this one,

Chuck

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The plot of The Island sounds VERY similar to an earlier film called "Parts: The Clonus Horror" , which should be familiar to Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans (it was featured in one of their episodes).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078062/
FYI, Clonus has just been released to DVD.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
If Michael Bay would have made this after The Rock and Bad Boys, I would be pumped up. But after the last three shitburgers (Armageddon, Pearl Harbor and Bad Boys II) he made, I'm thinking meh. If I have nothing else to do that weekend, I'll go see it.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
This is the first Michael Bay film that I can honestly say looks good to me. I'll check it out unless the consensus reaction is "avoid at all costs".

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Visual Effects by Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

Should be cool to look at no matter the script anyways.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks