Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Arthur Miller 1915-2005

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 11 2005 - 07:39 PM

I didn't see a thread on his passing either here or in After Hours.
Posted Image

#2 of 6 AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 09:59 PM

Well, I admire his 'Death of a Salesman' (only seen it as a TV movie with Hoffman&Co)

#3 of 6 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted February 11 2005 - 11:10 PM

Sad news. We studied The Crucible at school, and I was really impressed by his work. Always wanted to get around to reading or seeing more.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#4 of 6 PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 06:59 AM

The world needs another Arthur Miller, whose plays urge all within earshot to the highest personal code of honor. He leaves behind as a legacy not only THE great American play ("Death Of A Salesman") but many other works of genius that people will be reading and performing for at least another century or so. If you doubt that, consider this: Arthur Miller is the most oft-produced playwright in the English language besides Shakespeare.

If anyone is curious about checking out some Arthur Miller on home video, my strongest recommendation would be to find the television version of "All My Sons," released on vhs by Universal years ago but, unfortunately, not yet on disc. There is also the film version of "The Crucible" and two different tv versions of "Death of A Salesman" all readily available on dvd.

#5 of 6 AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted February 12 2005 - 07:39 PM

and two different tv versions of "Death of A Salesman"

Really? Which is the other one? Or do you mean two different versions of the same film?

#6 of 6 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 12 2005 - 07:59 PM

There's the Dustin Hoffman version, the Brian Dennehy version, the Lee J. Cobb version, the Rob Steiger version, and the Warren Mitchell version. The Lee J. Cobb one and the Dustin Hoffman versions are perhaps the most notable. The former because the part of Willy Loman was WRITTEN for Cobb in the original play. The latter because it was Dustin Hoffman smack dab between Kramer vs. Kramer and Rain Man - right at the top of his game.