-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pro class projector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Peter.LeBlond

Peter.LeBlond

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 08:00 AM

I am trying to find some information for a friend of mine who is opening an indy/art movie house. They are slated for 2 35mm screens and I'm begging them to try to squeeze the budget to either have a 3rd smaller screen for digital or to throw a projector in one of the 35 screens so they can go either way. I know there is tons of knowledge here and was wondering what people could throw at me for research beginings.

Was thinking of something at or under $50k USD

How big can you go with what res and what brightness? I have found some 6000 lumen projo's but they are all XGA or SXGA. Are there any reasonalble Hi-Def machines in this arena? What is SXGA gonna look like when it is that big?

If anybody works in a theater with the digital pre-show entertainment (haha), what do you have in the booth there?

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 of 6 Ryan FB

Ryan FB

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 08:15 AM

Barco and Christie seem to be the two main competitors in this arena of projectors. Maybe the closest to what you're looking for is the Barco iCon H600, a 1920x1080 LCD projector with 6000 lumens and an MSRP of $45,000. Most of the other sub-$50k HD projectors I could find probably don't have the kind of brightness you'll need. A better place to ask might be Film-Tech, as many people over there do keep track of this kind of thing or run digital pre-show.

#3 of 6 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 02:41 PM

How big a screen are you trying to push? If you're trying to do main features, i dunno that budget might be kinda small...

#4 of 6 Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted January 05 2005 - 05:57 PM

Don't forget lamp prices Posted Image

#5 of 6 Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 12:17 AM

Christie Digital's Roadie S-6 is a nice little (quiet) SXGA 3-chip DLP projector, 6000 ANSI lumens, nice contrast, et cetera, et cetera. The body goes for about $35-$40K, lenses extra, and lamps are about $2200/each, lifetime dependant upon usage, of course. (If you max it out, it'll die sooner than if you run it low-power.) Anyway, Christie claims 1000 hours at full power.

It's a fairly nice projector, it might even be bright enough. For the PHANTOM MENANCE showing in digital I saw, they were using a 10K lumen SXGA projector, anamorphic encoded to use the entire chip, with a customized anamorphic lens for the projector.

This was also onto a 50' wide screen (or so.)

The X6 is also a very easy-to-service projector, and with a little practice, the lamp can be changed in about 10 minutes, requiring only a long (14") phillips head screw-driver.

If you've got money to burn, however, the Christie CP2000 is a very nice unit. But it's probably in the neighborhood of $125k plus options. On the other hand, depending on what lamp you put in, you can crank the sucker up to 25k lumens. >1000:1 contrast, and 3 2k DLP chips.

Don't forget, of course, that no matter what projector you put in, you also need the front-end playback hardware, and you need a source for material, and I don't know how that's being distributed right now...

Leo Kerr

#6 of 6 Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted January 06 2005 - 06:47 AM

Leo - good point on the source components. Even if you are showing indie films, will they be available on a digital source?

Or, does he want to show DVD's?