Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Recreating A Network Schedule On DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 10:46 AM

For a lot of us, our TV watching habits were probably at one time defined by a specific prime-time lineup on a particular network (it probably still is for many too). So I got to wondering how possible is it to recreate a particular network's primetime schedule for a particular year based on what's been released or is about to be released on DVD?

Not an easy task, I admit but I discovered that very soon we will have the entire Friday night NBC lineup for 1984-85 represented on DVD with "V", "Hunter" and "Miami Vice" all of which debuted that year (with "V" just lasting the one year).

Can anyone think of any other set of DVD releases that would fit this example too?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   EricSunde

EricSunde

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 11:02 AM

Off the top of my head, it would be the easy to recreate the WB Tuesday night Lineup from 1999-2001 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
"Oh, no no no. What I just got is that you're like a total jacked up freaky-deaky crazy pants!!"
-Dr. Venture, The Venture Brothers

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Deb Walsh

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 12:24 PM

The WB schedules are pretty easy to recreate, yes. Felicity and Dawson's Creek were on Wednesday nights, I think. Now we've got 7th Heaven and Everwood, although not in the same season. And Fox's short-lived Thursday night will soon be recreatable, with Tru Calling and Wonderfalls.

Curiously, UPN's schedules are tough, as little episodic television from that netlet has come out on disc.
Deb Walsh (debwalsh@aol.com)
http://www.debwalsh.com/press/

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 12:52 PM

Here's one that can be recreated in part. CBS Friday night, 1979-80, with select episodes of "The Incredible Hulk" (Best Of Set), "Dukes Of Hazard" (Season 2 upcoming) and "Dallas" (Season 3 upcoming).

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 01:44 PM

You could do in part the Fox Sunday Night Lineup for 2000.

Futurama, King of the Hill, The Simpsons, and Malcolm in the Middle.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Randy Gray

Randy Gray

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 04:46 PM

If I'm not mistaken I believe at one time ABC Tuesday night consisted of "Happy Days", Laverne And Shirley", "Three's Company" and "Soap". I think that's right.

Randy

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 05:16 PM

Yes, that was the case in 1977-78, and in 78-79 the ABC Tuesday lineup consisted of three hours of shows that have had some DVD release (though in both instances, not yet to all the episodes for those two repsective series). "Happy Days," "Laverne And Shirley", "Three's Company", "Taxi" and "Starsky And Hutch."

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 03:09 AM

Wasn't "X-Files" the 9:00 show in FOX's Sunday night lineup in '00? If so, you could have the complete lineup.