Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVR to TV Feed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Brian Kosmoski

Brian Kosmoski

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 02:13 PM

I was surprised for my bithday (by my wife no less) with a 47" Sony Grand Wega installed by the local electronics store only to find when I moved my TV into my new HT that I just have coaxial feeds from my DirecTV DVR into my TV. What is the best way to route the video from my DVR into the TV? I don't want to go through my reciever only to make it a bit easier for my wife & kids to watch TV w/o touching the receiver.

Can I upgrade to S-Video or composite and still have my DVR function properly?

#2 of 4 ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 02:22 PM

Are you talking about a Digital Video Recorder or just the Direct TV receiver? I would assume a DVR would have component as well as S-video and composite connections. I know that my Dad's Direct TV receiver only has a coaxial feed to his TV but I find it hard to believe that a DVR would not have other types of outputs to the TV.Posted Image

#3 of 4 Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted January 03 2005 - 01:24 AM

Brian,

Your DVR should have S-video output, so go ahead and use it. I doubt it has component out, but it might.

Quote:
I don't want to go through my reciever only to make it a bit easier for my wife & kids to watch TV w/o touching the receiver.

Actually, routing the video through the receiver makes things easier since you only have to change the input on the receiver (and not on the TV) when you change sources.

--Nathan

#4 of 4 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 03 2005 - 02:53 PM

Quote:
Actually, routing the video through the receiver makes things easier since you only have to change the input on the receiver (and not on the TV) when you change sources.

But the point was for the wife and kids not to use the receiver - at all. He wants them to be able to just "watch TV" and playback from the TiVO. No reason not to use the s-video or even the RCA composite cable in to one of the TV inputs. (Along with the audio cables.) The DirecTiVO receiver/DVR combo is a single unit with one set of outputs that carries the signal from both the satellite receiver and the DVR. (I have a stand-alone TiVO and cable. My parents have had DirecTiVO in their bedroom for almost two years, and I just gave my mother another one for her sitting room for Christmas.)

Regards,

Joe

Forum Nav Content I Follow