Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Documentary DVD Discussion Revised Edn: Includes Guide to Academy Award Docs

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:05 AM

I am moving the initial post to post number 15 and will use this space from this point forward to announce updates. I have “archived” the January 31st update at the bottom of the thread.

UPDATE for March 5, 2006

Changed Crumb, One Day In September, & A Great Day In Harlem to reflect the current releases (September is, I believe, new artwork only). Added Harlen County, U.S.A. & this year’s Academy Award Winner, March Of The Penguins.

The Independent Spirit Awards were handed out last night,
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, Director: Alex Gibney won Best Documentary while Occupation: Dreamland Directors: Garrett Scott & Ian Olds won the Truer Than Fiction Award (purpose is to foster wider appreciation and theatrical distribution of nonfiction feature-length motion pictures)…tragically, Garrett Scott passed away last week (03/02/2006). I describe both films and their availability on DVD on post #22 below. Since that posting, however, Occupation: Dreamland has received wider distribution and is available beginning Tuesday from Amazon.

I just discovered a new(ish) DVD label, Passion River. On March 21st, Passion River will release a disc featuring three Academy Award nominated shorts, Hardwood / Ryan / Sunrise Over Tiananmen Square (Hardwood & Tiananmen are doc short subjects). As a side note, the animated Ryan is available along with the documentary, Alter Egos, in a SE released last year from Rhino video.

Tim

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:06 AM

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:07 AM

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:37 AM

Here is a preliminary listing of 'other' Awards. I may link to IMDB or Amazon/retail. IDA - International Documentary Association Annual Feature Awards 2005 - Favela Rising & Our Brand is Crisis 2004 - Fahrenheit 9/11 & Born Into Brothels 2003 - Balseros & The Revolution Will Not Be Televised 2002 - Mai's America & Señorita extraviada 2001 – Children Underground & Startup.com 2000 - Gulag & Swedish Tango 1999 - On The Ropes & A Place Called Chiapas 1998 - Dancemaker & Little Dieter Needs to Fly 1997 - Donka, radioscopie d'un hôpital africain & Waco: The Rules of Engagement 1996 - Troublesome Creek: A Midwestern (1995) & War Within: A Portrait of Virginia Woolf, The 1995 - Crumb & Diablo nunca duerme, El & Eternity 1994 - Black Harvest & Freedom on My Mind & Hoop Dreams & I Am a Promise: The Children of Stanton Elementary School & Moving the Mountain 1993 - Intimate Stranger & Life and Times of Allen Ginsberg, The & Silverlake Life: The View from Here & Something Within Me 1992 - Brief History of Time, A & Dream Deceivers: The Story Behind James Vance Vs. Judas Priest & Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse & History and Memory: For Akiko and Takashige 1991 - Absolutely Positive & American Dream & Color Adjustment & Soldiers of Music 1990 - Adam Clayton Powell & Berkeley in the '60s & Hello, Do You Hear Us? Red Hot & Paris Is Burning & Roger & Me 1989 - Chasseurs de miel & For All Mankind & Let's Get Lost & Twilight City & Who Shot President Kennedy? 1988 – Broken Noses & Nadie escuchaba & Thin Blue Line, The & Who Killed Vincent Chin? 1987 - Chasing a Rainbow: The Life of Josephine Baker & Threat & Thy Kingdom Come... Thy Will Be Done & Vai viegli but jaunam? 1986 - Bacio di Tosca, Il & Jacques Cousteau: The First 75 Years & Madres de la Plaza de Mayo, Las & Shoah & Soldiers in Hiding & Sun City/The Making of Sun City 1985 - 16 Days of Glory & 28 Up & America and Lewis Hine & George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey & Times of Harvey Milk, The National Board of Review Awards 2005 - March of the Penguins 2004 - Born into Brothels 2003 - The Fog of War 2002 - Bowling for Columbine 2001 - The Endurance 2000 - The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg 1999 - Buena Vista Social Club 1998 - Wild Man Blues 1997 - Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 1996 - Paradise Lost 1995 - Crumb Director's Guild of America 2005 Grizzly Man 2004 The Story Of The Weeping Camel 2003 My Architect 2002 The Smith Family 2001 Startup.com 2000 High School Boot Camp 1999 On the Ropes 1998 Vietnam: Long Time Coming 1997 Riding the Rails 1996 Looking for Richard 1995 Crumb 1994 Hoop Dreams 1993 Fallen Champ: The Untold Story of Mike Tyson 1992 Brother's Keeper 1991 American Dream Los Angeles Film Critics Association 2005 - Grizzly Man 2004 - Born Into Brothels 2003 - The Fog of War 2002 - The Cockettes 2001 - The Gleaners And I 2000 - Dark Days 1999 - Buena Vista Social Club 1998 - The Farm: Angola USA 1997 - Riding the Rails 1996 - When We Were Kings 1995 - Crumb 1994 - Hoop Dreams 1993 - It's All True 1992 - Black Harvest 1991 - American Dream 1990 - Paris is Burning and Portraits of the Oldworld 1989 - Roger & Me 1988 - Hotel Terminus: The Life and Times of Klaus Barbie

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 29 2004 - 11:38 AM

This will be for non-theatrical docs...Ken Burns's Civil War, Vietnam: A Television History, etc.

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 08:34 AM

Werner Herzog...

Land of Silence and Darkness (1971)

Preacher Trilogy:
Huie's Sermon (1980)
God's Angry Man (1980)
Faith and Currency (1980)

Ballad of the Little Soldier (1984)

The Dark Glow of the Mountains (1984)

Les Gauloises (1988)

Echoes From a Somber Empire (1990)

Bells from the Deep: Faith and Superstition in Russia (1993)

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Al Stuart

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted January 02 2005 - 08:41 AM

Note that Small Wonders (1995-96 nominee) is available on DVD, via the 2 disc version of Music of the Heart, on disc 2. The Streep/Craven film was loosely based on the documentary and so it was included as an extra.

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&s=dvd

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted January 04 2005 - 09:19 AM

Looks like the Errol Morris stuff (Thin Blue Line, Vernon Florida and Gates of Heaven) will be out within the month:
http://www.hometheat....hreadid=217681

Great News!

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 08 2005 - 02:43 PM

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 08:59 AM

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted January 18 2005 - 09:03 AM

The IDA’s 2004 Pare Lorentz Award (The award is presented by the Pare Lorentz Foundation to one or more individuals whose work best represents the democratic sensibility, activist spirit and lyrical vision of the legendary documentarian) winning documentary Oil On Ice is available from www.oilonice.com for $19.95.

Oil On Ice examines the battle over oil development within the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and how it affects the Gwich'in Athabascan Indians and Inupiat Eskimos who rely on wildlife in this area for subsistence.

I picked this one up as part of a free promotion from the Sierra Club & it’s not just a bare bones disc (includes Bonus interviews with Amory Lovins, Carl Pope and Wade Davis). When I retrieve it from loan I will fill in the remaining specs.

Tim

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted March 13 2005 - 12:06 PM

Does anyone have Image's recent release of The Man Who Skied Down Everest? How is the transfer? Is it 2.35:1 anamorphic, as listed?

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 14 2005 - 09:03 AM

wow what a great thread and will have more time to read and possible buy some of the dvds
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted May 12 2005 - 11:43 PM

According to DigitallyObsessed it is 2:35:1 anamorphic.

Tim

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted May 31 2005 - 05:54 AM

I have agreed to take over the maintenance of this page initially assembled by Vince Maskeeper (BIG round of applause for Vince).

In addition to the Vince’s Academy Awards Guide, I am reserving the first two slots in the thread for non-academy Award Doc Guides.

I am not a documentary film expert, Nor do I play one on TeeVee. If any of you have suggestions for improvement to any of the guides, feel free to pm me.

Let’s please keep the discussion on-topic. Off-Topic discussions such as whether a film/disc should be considered a legitimate documentary (vs. propaganda) should take place elsewhere on the forum.

Thank You,
Tim

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 01:18 AM

UPDATE for May 31, 2005

I updated the Academy Noms (post No.3) to reflect availability of
Prisoner of Paradise, Colors Straight Up, & D-Day Remembered .
Don’t know how D-Day slipped thru, it’s a 2003 street disc, IMDB doesn’t show availability either.

I updated the IGN “20 Best All-Time” list (post No.10) to reflect availability of
The Thin Blue Line .

Be advised that Oil On Ice (post No.11) is available for Pre-Order (8/9/2005 street) from Amazon .

I missed Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst aka. Neverland: The Rise and Fall of the Symbionese Liberation Army when it aired on The American Experience recently, but this award-winning doc (Grand Jury Award: Florida Film Festival) is available from PBS .

Until next time, ponder this: now that Deep Throat has ‘outed’ himself, when will we get a decent doc on Watergate?

Tim

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 08:55 AM

thanks for keeping the list up to date
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 01:35 PM

UPDATE for June 20, 2005

I updated the Academy Award Winners (post No.2) to reflect availability of
I Am Promise .

I updated the Academy Noms (post No.3) to reflect availability of
Balseros for Pre-order.

Be advised that In The Shadow Of The Stars (Academy Award Winner '91) is coming from Docurama at the end of August.

Also, please note that one of the Werner Herzog titles requested by Gordon (post no. 6 below), Land Of Summer and Darkness , is due out from New Yorker on July 5th.

Tim

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted August 04 2005 - 03:16 PM

UPDATE for July 12, 2005

I updated the Academy Award Winners (post No.2) to reflect availability of In The Shadow Of The Stars .

Be advised that last years’s best documentary award winner, Born In Brothels will street on September 20th. It’s available for pre-order at several etailers, but cannot snag the artwork yet & some details are lacking, so will update table when those matters are cleared up. Here’s a synopsis:

A tribute to the resiliency of childhood and the restorative power of art, Born Into Brothels is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in the red light district of Calcutta where their mothers work as prostitutes. Zana Briski, a New York-based photographer, gives each of these youngsters a camera and teaches them how to take pictures, simultaneously causing them to look at their world with new eyes. Together with Ross Kauffman, Briski captures the magical way in which beauty can be found in the most unlikely of places and how a bright and promising future becomes a possibility for children who previously had no future at all. Touching and heartfelt, yet devoid of sentimentality, Born Into Brothels defies the tear-stained tourist snapshot of the global underbelly.

In the ‘oldy, but goody’ category, be advised that Home Vision Entertainment will be streeting a couple of classic docs from Emile de Antonio on Sept. 20 as well. Details below (nom table update to follow):

In The Year Of The Pig

Produced at the height of the Vietnam War, Emile de Antonio’s Oscar®-nominated 1968 documentary chronicles the war’s historical roots. With palpable outrage, De Antonio (Point of Order, Underground) assembles period interviews with journalists, politicians, and key military personnel and international newsreel and archival footage to create a scathing chronicle of America’ escalating involvement in this divisive conflict. The savage and horrific images speak for themselves in perhaps the most controversial film of de Antonio’s career, and the film he cites as his personal favorite.

Special Features:
Audio commentary with director Emile de Antonio composed from archival sources
Interview with Emile de Antonio
Liner notes by de Antonio scholar Douglas Kellner
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Point Of Order (1964)

(Selected for the National Film Registry in 1993)

The art of political theater was first introduced into Americans' homes when television cameras captured 188 hours over six weeks of the 1954 Army-McCarthy hearings. Director Emile de Antonio (In the Year of the Pig, Underground) was able to acquire and assemble the footage from those landmark broadcasts to create Point of Order, one of the most riveting and seminal documentaries ever made. A devastating portrait of the legendary Senator Joseph McCarthy, this extraordinary Cold War-era film is the definitive documentary about television's coming of age, and its burgeoning role in exposing the abuse of power.

Spec Features:
Audio commentary with director Emile de Antonio composed from archival sources
Liner notes by de Antonio scholar Douglas Kellner
English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

Also, please note that Guerrilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst (post no. 16 below) was delayed; Docurama has posted a 9/27 street date-this title should be available from most etailers).

Tim

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   TimJS

TimJS

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted December 24 2005 - 01:26 PM

UPDATE for August 4, 2005

Added
Academy Award Winners Born Into Brothels (2004) & Who Are The DeBolts (1977), Nom In The Year Of The Pig (1977), & DGA winner Looking For Richard (1996)

Other forthcoming releases of note:

Home Of The Brave–No awards/Noms known, just great reviews…
Home Vision
Streets: August 23, 2005

Viola Liuzzo, a 39-year-old mother of five, was the only white woman killed during the civil rights movement. Paola di Florio’s powerful and poignant documentary rescues from obscurity Liuzzo’s tragic untold story. Dramatic archival footage recaptures this turbulent era, and compelling interviews with her children paint a vivid portrait of a shattered family determined to uncover the truth about their mother's murder and the government’s campaign to smear her name. Narrated by Stockard Channing.

Monumental: David Brower’s Fight for Wild America– Nominated for the Environmental Media Association Awards, 2004; Goldie Award; Bay Guardian, 2004
Official Site
from First Run Features
Streets: September 20, 2005

From the moment David Brower first witnessed the extraordinary beauty of Yosemite Valley, his life was tied to the fight to preserve the American wilds for future generations. Not since John Muir has an American fought so hard or been more successful in protecting our natural heritage. At the center of the film are the themes that absorbed Brower throughout his life: the threatened beauty of the American earth, the spiritual connection between humans and the great outdoors, and the moral obligation to preserve what is left of the world’s natural wonders.

Shortcut to Nirvana– (Winner Best Doc – Sedora International Film Festival & Tiburon International Film Festival)
Official Site
from Zeitgeist
Streets: October 25, 2005

The Kumbh Mela is the biggest gathering of people in the history of humanity – although few in the West have ever heard of it. More than 70 million pilgrims attend this extraordinary spiritual festival, which has been held every 12 years near Allahabad, India, for over two millennia. A vast tent city is established to accommodate the masses, and many of India’s greatest gurus and spiritual leaders set up camp to give discourses to their devotees. On certain auspicious days everyone takes a holy dip at the confluence of two actual rivers - the Ganges and Yamuna - and a mythical river, the Saraswati. On the main bathing day, more than 25 million people bathe in the sacred waters. This single act of faith is believed to cleanse the sins of a thousand lifetimes and secure release from the endless cycle of rebirth – literally a short cut to the state of purest bliss…nirvana.

Also coming from First Run Features on Oct. 25, 2005, a look at the rise of the religious right; With God On Our Side.

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users