What's new

Need help choosing CRT RPTV (1 Viewer)

Joseph.C

Grip
I'm looking into buying a 50ish" 16:9 CRT RPTV. LCD and DLP are out of my price range and the size of the CRT is no problem. All that i neccesarily need out of it is an HDMI input, DVI or Analog input(or both), and 2 component inputs. All i have found so far is the Sony KP51WS520 @ bestbuy.com.
I want to get it under $2000, preferably around $1500. If i cannot find one with an Analog and DVI input, is there an adapter i could find that would convert the analog output of my video card (radeon 9600xt) to DVI or component on my TV?

Should i wait until after the Super Bowl to purchase it for the best price? Also, if i do purchase this TV through bestbuy.com would i have to pay sales tax? Free shipping they list on their site is nice too.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Since you have waited this long, why not wait a few more weeks when the sales starts for the games.

I've read somewhere that the Super Bowl is the biggest Big Screen seller at any time of the year.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the Panasonic 47x54 (47" model) and 53x54 (53" model). It has HDMI, 2 components, an S-video, and (I think) a composite input. You should be able to get the 53" model for around $1300-1500.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph

I just got a Hitachi 51F510 and I love it. The picture is great even with digital cable. I compared it to DLP and LCD RPTV units and to me, the only advantage those sets have as to do with screen reflections of ambient light.

At less than half the price of LCD or DLP get the CRT and enjoy it. In a few years, LCD and DLP prices will drop.

Joseph.C

Grip
so i found a DVI splitter cable on ebay, which obviously splits the DVI signal from my videocard into 2 and want to know if this would work...? One end of the split DVI cable to my LCD monitor and the other to an HDMI adapter which goes into the HDMI input. I'm assuming i'd get HD resolutions with this setup, correct? the splitter i'm looking at is ebay item# 5152788258.

and are there good sales right before the SuperBowl or right after?

Joseph.C

Grip
Are there any recent CRT's with an Analog VGA connection along with HDMI? This would seem to solve my problem about connecting it to my PC, but i can't find any.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yep.

You might look around New Years Day. Super Bowl is usually the best time though.

Last year I bought a 55" Mits for $1699.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'll add my vote for the Sony, had it since September, and love it. The picture is stunning, and I calibrated it with Video Essentials, and it does a pretty good job with black levels, and the color is quite beautiful. I haven't used the HDMI connection yet, but using the Zenith DVB 318 upscaling player with this via component and it floors me everytime, well.., except for Dragonheart, but other wise everything else looks great.

click on my signagture and keep scrolling till you get to The Grate Theater and you can see the t.v. as well as some screen shots. The camera doesn't do the picture justice as it is a early generation camera, but the blacks you can see are pretty good.

Joseph.C

Grip
Jerome, can you confirm for me if the Sony has a DVI and HDMI input? I've seen conflicting reports that it does or does not have DVI in addition to HDMI. thanks.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
HDMI, the older KP51WS510 last year's model sported the DVI input. I thinking about getting the DVI to HDMI Adapter for the DVI cable I got with the DVD Player. The 520 definetly has an HDMI input.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I've had the KP-57WS520 (same thing, just bigger screen) for a couple of weeks now, and I absolutely love it. Can't compare to anything else, as this is my first HDTV. My previous TV was a four year old 27" Trinitron.
Now if I could just find a decent DVD player that I'm happy with.

Joseph.C

Grip
just a question on the Sony...If i were to connect an Xbox with a 720p game through the component input would it convert the signal to 480p or upconvert to 1080i? I've read some brands downconvert to 480p, while others upconvert to 1080i. Anyone know?

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
This is a simple question. Get a Mitsubishi Diamond Series and if that falls out of your price range, go with a Hitachi. Seriously, both brands are better than just about anything else out there. I myself have a Pioneer Elite from a year ago, but I don't think these sets are for sale any longer.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too just bought a Sony 57" (KP-57WS520) and the picture is outstanding. I definitely recommend it. I've calibrated it with Avia, made some convergence tweaks and color decoder tweaks. As good as it looks now, I can't wait until I get it ISF'd soon.

Geo Gabor

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a Mistubishi Diamond series 65" (WS-65813). I paid $3K at Tweeter. It's going to be delivered on the 20th, once I move into my new place. I'm starting to get antsy in anticipation! :D

Joseph.C

Grip
I've pretty much decided on the Sony, but i'm going to wait to see what kind of deal i can get it at. Its going to be 1700 next week at BB/CC, so i'll wait for the Super Bowl sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks