What's new

Dell 42" Plasma TV (W4200HD): Anyone here looking at it? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I am considering replacing my much beloved (and much abused) Sony 57" Widescreen set (57HW40). It has been moved numerous times and I'm looking into getting something a little more mover friendly I guess.

I have been looking into Plasma sets in the 42" size range. The one that is leading the pack right now is the new Dell line of plasmas. That's right, Dell!

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...n&s=dhs#tabtop

Key Features:
The Dell W4200 High Definition Plasma TV provides a phenomenal Home Theater experience. With generous widescreen viewing areas of 770 square inches (4970 sq.cm.), the Dell W4200HD Plasma is designed for your living room or large media room. High Definition is easy with Dell's HD-Built in dual digital/analog tuner, and with advanced video processing from DNX® by Pixelworks, the television experience is the quality you would expect from Dell!

Key Benefits:
-Widescreen, High Resolution (1024 x 768 resolution) HD-Built in Television designed for your living room or media room
-Two tuners included, dual ATSC/NTSC (digital/analog) and an NTSC (analog) tuner
-Thin profile—at 3.3" thick—allowing an easy fit in armoires or mount on a wall (with optional wall mount)

Performance:
-High 2300:1 contrast ratio and DNX® by Pixelworks video processing technology for crisp, clear images with fast-paced action video
-Total 40 watt detachable speakers provide a phenomenal SRS® TruSurround XT virtual surround sound experience—ideal for the ultimate high definition home theater experience
-Multiple viewing choices are easily supported with dual tuners and PIP, POP, and PbP
-With 420 nits typical brightness, the W4200s are easily viewable even in well-lit rooms
-Extreme connectivity including Audio-Video inputs (2 Component, 3 Composite, 2 S-Video, HDMI and 7 RCA Audio) as well as PC inputs (VGA, DVI-CE and PC Audio)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can get what I consider to be a great price on this set ($2681.50 shipped!) so it's definitely in my price-range as well.

I'm praying that the 15" drop in viewing size doesn't get to me, but I don't think it will too much...I am also building /buying a top of th eline HTPC for use with my new display (perhaps this Dell?)...and that another reason I have upgrade-itus I guess :)

So, anyone else out there looking at this Dell? Thoughts from current owners perhaps>?

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't who makes that Dell plasma. If you could find out, you may be able to get a better feel for how it would perform.

I'm leary of off name plasma's, only because in head to head comparisons I have seen Panny ED plasma's totally out perform more off brand HD plasmas.

best of luck with it

Ed_Charles

Auditioning
This is my first post, but I started lurking a couple of weeks ago - right about the time we ordered our Dell W4200HD - LOL!!

I renovated a room in our basement with the specific intent of making it a "home theater" / office. The room is only 14x15 with a fireplace and built-in bookcases, so a flat-panel was really the only way to go. We looked around for a while and then found the Dell on sale. For what we need and expect it was pretty much the perfect deal for us. We watch digital cable and DVD's and that's about it. I recently installed a 5.1 surround system (I bought the AE Aego P5 - I already own two of their Aego-2 systems, which I love) and have been blown away, thus far, by that experience.

Anyway - My wife and I received an email from Dell this morning stating that our screen has shipped. It should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll let you know how we like it.

Ed

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ed - welcome aboard!

I actually went ahead and placed my order on the DEll w4200hd last night!

I can't wait for it....I'm an apartment dweller for the time being, so this should be perfect for me!

Please do let me know your thoughts once you get the dell in-house and are done testing her out. There are a ton of folks over on the AVS Forum who are looking for reviews as well.

Enjoy your set...I think it's gonna be a great one!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It's great to see other entities selling plasma. Can only bring prices down. However, giving up 15 inches of screen size is a big loss to videophiles. 42 inches is about all most women will tolerate (not to mention the thousands of extra dollars). But for hobbiests, going down to 42 inches is a real big step backwards.

It is odd, many of us are looking (forward) to front projectors for the real deal while others are captivated by the thin form-factor of plasma.

As with subwoofers, the real name of the game is IMPACT. 42 inches is about the equivalent of a 10 inch subwoofer, IMHO.

Artie

Ed_Charles

Auditioning
Damn radio buttons.... Preview ain't where I'm used to it being -

It great that you're into the big stuff. Me, I'm just looking for something that will fit in my small space. Someplace where I can get away with the wife and watch a movie or watch a cool kids movies with the twins.

Not a videophile, not a hobbyist - I am Harry-Freakin'-Homeowner:D

Best - Ed

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I would skip this and go for the Sony KE-42M1 that had as good a picture on all sources, HD, DVD and SD material as the Panasonic TH-42PX25U/P. Though not real easy to find, the Sony outdid the Samsung HP-4261 a $5,000 plasma.

Average price for the KE-42M1 = $3,200. Good price = $2,800.

Artie

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yes Ed

A perfect fit for your house. That's real important. Like havin a TV that fits in my armoire. Sometimes you just get what fits.

Artie

Dean Martin

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately I have had such a bad experience with DELL PC's I would never buy or recommend a Dell product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks