Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

How Reliable is DVDAficionado in listing OOP Titles?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted November 29 2004 - 10:46 AM

I've recently started to catalogue my DVDs using dvdaficionado and it's fairly comprehensive for R1 DVDs. Some of my titles listed in my wish list, however, are listed as being out of print (eg. Mystery Train or Barcelona), yet when I check places like Amazon.com/ca there is no sign that those DVDs are being discontinued. How accurate is dvdaficionado in listing OOP titles? Do they have some kind of inside information that allows them to give collectors a heads up?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 29 2004 - 10:54 AM

A title can still be found in stock at some places even if it is out of print.

A lot of DVDAF's info is contributed by users. If you know for a fact that a certain title is still in print, you should be able to correct the title.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 29 2004 - 03:25 PM

Quote:
A lot of DVDAF's info is contributed by users. If you know for a fact that a certain title is still in print, you should be able to correct the title.

ALL of dvdaf's info is user-contributed. If it's incorrect, it won't get changed unless a user does so.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 02 2004 - 07:43 AM

The staff updates information on their own sometimes.