Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What happened to 1492:Conquest of Paradise DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Nick^M

Nick^M

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 02:00 PM

Hi all, My first post here. I signed up because I can not find any answers to my question anywhere on the Internet. Ridley Scott's "1492:Conquest of Paradise" was supposed to be released on November 16, 2004. However, it is still nowhere to be seen. Does anyone know when this DVD will be released for the North American market? Thanks.

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Eric Portelance

Eric Portelance

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 02:10 PM

I've seen it in stores. It's got to be around somewhere.

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Nick^M

Nick^M

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 02:20 PM

Yea, they have it available everywhere but USA. The Special Edition was supposed to be available in the US on November 16, but it got pushed back for some reason.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 28 2004 - 02:33 PM

Quote:

My first post here.

Welcome!

I've moved your thread to HT Software - Film and Documentary, which is where most discussions of DVD take place. (TV on DVD has its own area.) If there's any information on this title, I'm sure someone here will know.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 09:38 AM

Maybe they are waiting for Kingdom of Heaven to come out. My guess would be next summer or next winter when KOH comes out on DVD.
Government in action = Government inaction

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Nick^M

Nick^M

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 11:20 AM

Hummm, I don't know. I am surprised why many people are not interested in this DVD....it may be one of Scott's best "shot" films. After all, it's still the best music score ever used in a film! All my opinions, of course.....

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:17 PM

I'd love to have this on DVD. I think it's Ridley's EMPIRE OF THE SUN, you know? I didn't even know it was expected so soon (now). I guess I'll keep my eye out for it. And you know how painful that can be. MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 02:07 PM

It was announced and then postponned without a new date. Charlie de L. has stated he's working on a few Ridley SEs at the moment, and my feelings is that these are Black Rain and another one. 1492 was supposed to have been out sometime in November I believe withouyt any extras, and was rightfully postponned/cancelled. It needs a 2-disc SE at the very least.

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Nick^M

Nick^M

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 02:36 PM

Fine, but there's a problem: There are NO DVD-versions of 1492 available, and this is what ticks me off. Sure, I can get the VHS, but even that is not wide-screen.

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
It was announced and then postponned without a new date. Charlie de L. has stated he's working on a few Ridley SEs at the moment, and my feelings is that these are Black Rain and another one. 1492 was supposed to have been out sometime in November I believe withouyt any extras, and was rightfully postponned/cancelled. It needs a 2-disc SE at the very least.
For the record, I'm not currently working on either "1492" or "Black Rain" SE. I haven't heard any solid information about either title. But I think they would both be great to do.

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 03:05 PM

My guess is that Paramount wants to make a Special Edition out of it. Timing it for Kingdom of Heaven would make sense. I would like to have a SE of Black Rain also. The current DVD has a awful transfer.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 03:11 PM

I read an interview with an actor from 1492 (I think it was Jack Taylor) who had a role in the film that was completely cut out. He mentioned his experience on the film in the OBSESSION-THE FILMS OF JESS FRANCO book. Aside from saying what a nice guy Ridley was, the main point of interest in his interview was where he mentioned the length of Ridley's original cut. The film was originally much longer - by at least an hour or two - and was apparently trimmed down substantially for its final release version. I'd always had the impression that there was some stuff missing from the final film (given the choppiness of a couple of scenes) and if this was the case it'd be a shame if they didn't attempt some sort of longer cut for a S.E DVD. (If they can restore LEGEND, why not 1492?).

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 05 2005 - 11:24 PM

Hate to beat a dead horse, but this was one SE what I was really looking forward to more than is healthy. Why was this only released in R2 and R5? Would it really be too much to ask for a few copies printed in R1? And for those of you who got this release in another region, exactly how much coolness are we missing out on? Posted Image Cheers.

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Sean*O

Sean*O

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 12:34 AM

Was there only one running time ever for this film? I saw it in the theater opening night, and then eventually on VHS years back, and I remember that the VHS version seemed much shorter to me. I almost think I saw some scenes in the theater that were missing on VHS. Probably just dreaming or something.

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 08:48 AM

I had a S-VHS copy (widescreen), made off the mixing board for the THX LD. Best sounding soundtrack experience I've had too this day. The S-VHS THX scenes from the ambush in Forrest Gump & the tiger in Apocalypse Now, although powerful, did not have the openness of 1492. Also, enjoyed the look & feel of the film. Would love too see a great transfer (sound & visuals) on HD.
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 06 2005 - 11:27 AM

Regarding Black Rain SE: Black Rain was on the list of HD DVD titles to be announced by Paramount. I can't imagine they'll put out an SE of Black Rain at all on DVD. I could guess that 1492 might go that same route but I don't remember it being on the list. If so then I would consider it delayed until then IMHO.

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted May 22 2005 - 05:21 PM

A soft *bump* to this thread, since we're talking about BLADE RUNNER again. Any news on 1492? Anything at all? MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

• 639 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
The film was originally much longer - by at least an hour or two - and was apparently trimmed down substantially for its final release version. I'd always had the impression that there was some stuff missing from the final film (given the choppiness of a couple of scenes) and if this was the case it'd be a shame if they didn't attempt some sort of longer cut for a S.E DVD. (If they can restore LEGEND, why not 1492?).
Many of the international DVDs are longer and feature several scenes trimmed from the U.S. release. The Aussie disc I have is, I believe, about 8 mins. longer once you factor in the PAL speed-up issue. They could certainly release this longer version if nothing else, but last I heard, Paramount only had it "on the drawing board" when listing a group of their 2005 titles, and I've seen nothing since sadly.

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted May 23 2005 - 02:04 PM

Quote:

Fine, but there's a problem: There are NO DVD-versions of 1492 available, and this is what ticks me off. Sure, I can get the VHS, but even that is not wide-screen.

Actually it's been out on dvd in Korea since early 2003. Pretty cheap too.

1492 Conquest of Paradise

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Miles

Miles

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted January 05 2007 - 10:15 AM

Bump.... I'd have loved to see this on DVD, but now it may as well be HD-DVD. I guess they "missed the boat" on this movie.

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow