-

Photo

Why are some Bond DVDs so hard to find?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:06 AM

I didn't have much trouble locating used copies of Dr.No and Goldfinger, but Thunderball and From Russia with Love seem to be very hard to find.

On Ebay, both DVDs are reported to be OOP.

I know the Bond box sets are still available, so are these titles really OOP?

All things being equal, not sure why Thunderball and Russia are so rarely seen used.

#2 of 16 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:37 AM

Quote:
I know the Bond box sets are still available, so are these titles really OOP?
The last release of the Bond sets was just the box sets. The individual DVDs were not re-released and are technically OOP, even though you can still buy them as part of the sets.

Quote:
All things being equal, not sure why Thunderball and Russia are so rarely seen used.
People love them and don't want to sell?
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#3 of 16 Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:39 AM

everything on ebay is oop !

they are going to re-realese all the films soon
at least you guys didnt have living daylights banned after 9/11 we in the uk did for over a year

#4 of 16 TommyJD

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 07:48 AM

All the films are getting a nice upgrade with new transfers,DD5.1 soundtracks and brand new extras.Street date is supposedly Oct 2005.Will be known as "Ultimate Editions".A deluxe box set containing all the films is also planned.I guess i'll start saving now.

#5 of 16 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 09:47 AM

I won't re-buy a Bond film or round out my set until HD. It's getting sad when you know all these super-duper revisited DVD's that come out are pretty much ready to go for HD releases. Just a matter of waiting.
When the entire series comes out on HD I'll bite the bullet...if I'm not living on the streets by then.

Until then I'm content with what I have even though some of the old transfers aren't the greatest. For as much as I watch them, they'll do.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#6 of 16 Glen C

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:18 AM

having had the 3 boxsets (complete 007 collection) since they first came out, i think it's a no-brainer still NOT to upgrade until hidef.

#7 of 16 Jim*F

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 11:28 AM

I believe the new Bond film is postponed until 2006 (or so) now that Pierce Brosnan is out and there is no replacement as of yet. I wonder if they'll hold off on the new DVDs as well since the they seem like an ideal marketing match with the next film?

#8 of 16 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,135 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 08:48 PM

I currently have about 1/2 the 007 movies on dvd and it sucks that there are many of the movies not available outside of boxsets. I am seriously considering if I am going to rebuy the 10 I have all over again. Maybe I might in hd but that depends on what the discs retail for. I am glad that Die Another Day was in DTS and hope that some of the bond movies are rereleased in DTS. With DD its just another blawn DD track aka dud digital. I hope that they reconcider releasing the movies sepratly.
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#9 of 16 Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 09:06 PM

Showtime played a beautiful HiDef transfer of GOLDENEYE the other day, so when HD-DVD comes out i am sure many of these will be ready for release.

some dvd's can rival their HD counterparts, Goldeneye is not one of them!!!!

#10 of 16 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 10:49 PM

Quote:
at least you guys didnt have living daylights banned after 9/11 we in the uk did for over a year
Why was it banned?

#11 of 16 Kevin Harper

Kevin Harper

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 01:56 AM

It was nothing to do with 9/11...it was withdrawn because of a problem with the UK distribution rights.

#12 of 16 Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore

Second Unit

• 366 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 05:50 AM

I picked up all the Bond flicks with the last box sets. I won't re-up with the next release and I may or may not do the high-def versions when they come out. Depends on how far down the road it happens. I'm pretty happy with the current DVDs.

I did have a lot of trouble locating the third box set a couple of months after it was released. Going to a Best Buy or CC these days, I don't see them all that often in the box set areas.

#13 of 16 Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit

• 485 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 09:13 AM

I have about six Bond films, just my favorites, but I had to wait three rereleases to get them all!
www.notinmybook.comWhere I can complain and complain and complain.

#14 of 16 Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 09:25 AM

I only need:

Thunderball
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Live and Let Die
Moonraker
and
For Your Eyes Only

#15 of 16 Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 09:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't have much trouble locating used copies of Dr.No and Goldfinger, but Thunderball and From Russia with Love seem to be very hard to find.

I didn't have any trouble finding From Russia With Love on eBay, but Thunderball is the most sought after Bond DVD for some odd reason.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#16 of 16 Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 12:34 PM

Living Daylights was banned in Britain over Sam Neill not giving permission to use his screen-test in the documentary, if I remember correctly.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow