Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

George Romero's Martin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 05:02 AM

I see this has been re-released with a huge price drop.
Improved re-master picture? Any reviews?

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,152 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 09 2004 - 06:22 AM

I asked for a screener but haven't gotten it yet. With this type of title it usually takes me a couple weeks after the release date to get it but I will post a review once it arrives.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 862 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted November 09 2004 - 06:29 AM

This is a newly remastered print with a new audio commentary. I haven't had a chance to do a comparison yet though. Also, the new version is presented in 16:9 widescreen.
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 07:24 AM

I have searched & searched for this and only find the old AB version, who is re-releasing this & when? If it is already out then where is it for sale?

AHHH...Never mind, it's Artisan.....*oh*......never mind...it's Artisan....Posted Image

Well we'll see.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   JeffMc

JeffMc

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts
  • LocationAntarctica

Posted November 09 2004 - 08:15 AM

This is a newly remastered print with a new audio commentary. I haven't had a chance to do a comparison yet though. Also, the new version is presented in 16:9 widescreen.

If I'm not mistaken, MARTIN was shot in 16mm and is in Academy aspect ratio. I know it had a limited theatrical release at the time and may have been matted somewhat for that, but isn't the preferred ratio 1.33:1 or 1.37:1?

If this new DVD is widescreen, what ratio is it in? Sounds like it may be a case of faux widescreen. I'm interested in hearing a review of this new disc and the extras and will probably pick it up, but if they've matted the film unnecessarily, I'm glad I held on to the old Anchor Bay release.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 11:22 AM

I think Romero said the AR was indeed 1:33:1 on the AB commentary...but don't hold me to that because Knightriders was also presented in this ratio and it was released two years after Dawn Of The Dead which as far as I know had an AR of 1:85.....why would he go back to a 1:33:1 AR in 1981?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 12:53 PM

Quote:
why would he go back to a 1:33:1 AR in 1981?

He didn't. Knightriders is 1.85:1 on the Anchor Bay DVD. And, yes, Romero explains on the AB disc of Martin that he prefers that film to be seen in Academy. It's a shame that the new disc is apparently in widescreen if Romero didn't supervise/approve it.

DJ

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 02:06 PM

Quote:
He didn't. Knightriders is 1.85:1 on the Anchor Bay DVD.
DOH!! It sure is 1:85......my my it has been a long time since I played that DVD.:b
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 06:26 PM

Actually, Knightriders is presented in anamorphic 1.66:1 on the AB DVD (back cover is wrong) :

Posted Image

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   James Lambert

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 09:09 PM

I eagerly await any reviews of this, as my Anchor bay copy got stolen a while back. This is the one disc I've not been able to replace to my satisfaction as the AB disc has been out of print for a long time. This is my last hope as I was going to get the R2 Arrow release, as it's 1.33 but doesn't have the Romero/Savini commentary.

Please let it be good!
Knowing my luck, if there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I'd come back as me!

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Shawn_Sek

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 05:58 AM

Lions Gate really screwed this new DVD up, not surprisingly. some screenshots are here...

martin screenshots
Biggest Bullshit Credit in American Film History? "Written & Directed By Quentin Tarantino"...how about COMPILED by?

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:12 AM

Good old Lions Gate/Artisan, you can never go wrong with a release from them...Posted Image

Funny, isn't Lions Gate/Artisan the company that releases just about every horror movie they have open matte?

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,152 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:33 AM

The funny thing is that some were unhappy with the 4:3 transfer on the first one. The film was shown widescreen in theaters, ala Kubrick, so some didn't buy the AB release. Perhaps they'll buy this one now. Posted Image

Poor ol' Lions Gate. They usually release open matte but with this they think they are doing the right thing when it turns out to be the wrong thing. Posted Image

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:43 AM

Question about the framing. In the screen shot people are chopped out of the picture. Was this how it looked in theaters or did it sort of Pan and scan up and down?

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Paul Strilka

Paul Strilka

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 06:47 AM

How could Romero and the others all sit in the same room- record a commentary and not mention the botched transfer??

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 08:11 AM

For all we know they were watching an open matte version.

Jeez, not only is the new transfer badly framed but the image itself look like crap....glad I have the AB version.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   James Lambert

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 01:07 AM

Arrow 4:3 version it is then (cheap in the UK at £6.99 ). As for the commentary track, is it definitely different from the old AB track, as I remember Savini and Romero in that.
Knowing my luck, if there is such a thing as re-incarnation, I'd come back as me!

Forum Nav Content I Follow