Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

How before they can kick me out.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 01:59 PM

I recently moved into a new apartment with my brother, but my lease for my old apartment is still a few months away.

I havent told the manager that I have left, I still switch between the two places for now.

If I dont pay the rent, how long will it take before they evict me?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 02:08 PM

I don't know as I've never rented and I'm not a landlord.

I suggest paying the rent. A non-payment history is not a good thing to have and will follow you to your next place.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 02:20 PM

About 60 days. However the legal fees and collections agencies will ensure you will end-up paying far more than your rent currently is.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   mark alan

mark alan

Supporting Actor

• 620 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 03:09 PM

Any smart landlord starts the legal proceedings one day after the rent is due. If it is an apartment complex, they will have procedures in place, and they will collect their money.

You best bet is to ask to be released from your lease. It might work.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 04:02 PM

Right. You have a contract, and it is just like if you would have paid for the whole year in advance, but you just got the payments broken up.

If you leave early, he can advertise the place and if he gets a new renter in before your contract is up, then you won't have to pay that (unless he's a real jerk)

I am not an attorney, and I think that some of these laws can vary from state to state.

Outside of that, did you put down a deposit/first/last? Can you get cleaning fees back if you leave it rentable immediately?

Of course, if you can drop out of the human race ignore what I said.

Glenn

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Don_Houle

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern New Jersey

Posted October 29 2004 - 12:19 AM

Don't be a scumbag...pay the rent. You signed a lease contract in which you agreed to pay the rent. At least explain your situation to the apartment manager/owner.

I don't own any rental properties, but I have friends who have in the past or do now and they rely on the rent paid in order to make their mortgages. As Mark stated, if this is a business, they WILL have procedures in place to get their money.

Good luck.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 01:12 AM

Of course, this is one of those nice ways to do serious damage to your credit score. Advice: pay the rent.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 05:43 AM

I had to break a lease in early 2003 because I was unemployed and moving out of the state. My apartment required 30 days notice and 1 months rent to break out early. I would ask the manager what the rules on breaking the lease early. I definitely wouldn't default.

Kenneth

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor

• 666 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 06:41 AM

What makes you think they will kick you out? Just because you might make th wrong decision and stop paying does not mean they will evict you, at least not right away. They can go after you in court, attack your credit ratings, ask to have you wages garnished as well as collect any damages to the unit that may or may not have been caused by you. But I doubt they will just kick you out and move on with their business as usual operations.

Just talk to the property managers. Believe it or not, renters do have rights even with a contract. But if you just up and quit paying, pretty much all your legal advantages get thrown out the window.