-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Earthsea on SciFi

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 02:52 AM

I'm really excited for this miniseries, Earthsea, that is going to be on Sci Fi. It's based on Ursula Le Guin's trilogy of novels. It has a strong cast with Danny Glover and Isabella Rossellini. I guess I just want to see who all is into this sort of thing. I hope some of you are as excited as I am.
Link deleted by moderator; DO NOT REPOST.

#2 of 65 Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 03:03 AM

I'll probably end up watching it, due to the strong cast and the fantasy setting. But my expectations will be very low thanks to the words "Sci Fi Pictures Original".
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#3 of 65 PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 04:32 AM

I'm definitely interested in this and, while I know it may not be quite to to a major theatrical standard, it still could be pretty good. I read the books a long time ago... 25+ years now, so I don't remember them that well but they are classics of fantasy and LeGuin is one of the titans of the genre. I wouldn't miss Earthsea for anything.

#4 of 65 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 04:42 AM

Looking forward to it but also have low expectations.

Posted Image

#5 of 65 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,873 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 08:19 AM

What is this about?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 65 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 10:17 AM

todd s wrote (post #5):

Quote:
What is this about?

Looks like standard "magical-quest-by-youth" stuff:

SciFi Channel synopsis:

Quote:
Adapted from Ursula K. Le Guin's award-winning Earthsea novels, this epic fantasy follows the tale of a reckless youth destined to become the greatest sorcerer that the mystical world of Earthsea has ever known. When the difficult and rebellious Ged discovers the extent of his magical powers, he seeks to master the ancient arts — and his own impulses as well. As he journeys to manhood, he will combat dragons, fall in love, cross death's threshold and ultimately wield the power to reunite a planet.

[Ho-humeth!]

"Delenda est . . . . "

#7 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 02:37 AM

I've started rereading the books which I haven't read since I was younger. I am hoping that the series will be faithful to the books, which I think it probably will be. Also, I'm thinking the cast will entice some people. Ckeck out the official site: http://www.scifi.com/earthsea/ What do you all think about it?

#8 of 65 Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 03:08 AM

I'm looking foward to it since this is one of my favorite trilogies from my childhood. I don't have high expectations, but the cast looks great so who knows. Hopefully they'll pull it off.

#9 of 65 Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 09:53 AM

Looks interesting. But I'll watch just to see Kristin Kreuk. Posted Image

#10 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 01:33 AM

Has anyone reread the books at all recently? It's cool how they stand the test of time. Anyways, I agree that the cast is trong, and I doubt the actors would have taken the roles had the script not been any good. And, ah yes, Kristen Kreuk, I would probably watch this just for her as well.

#11 of 65 Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 05:54 AM

Is this mini-series going to cover all three books or just the first two? It was not clear from the web page.

I reread the books about two years ago and while I enjoyed them, I also found them lacking. Maybe it is just too much Harry Potter but I wanted alot more about the adventures of Ged. He only shows up at the end of "The Tombs of Atuan" and is basically Dumbledorf in the "The Farthest Shore". The books never really give a good sense of him becoming the most powerful wizard in EarthSea since the books do not really cover those adventures. He is much more like Gandalf the Grey guiding others and using little bits of magic to get out of difficult situations.

The trilogy really should have been a collection like the Narnia series, except stick to Ged as the main character.

Chuck Anstey

#12 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 01:50 AM

I'm pretty sure it's based on the trilogy. I think I have something you will like, Chuck. Here's a fansite that seems right up your alley: http://www.gedswizardry.com/. Join the forums in there and see what people have to say about Ged. Anyways, I adore the books and am really looking forward to seeing how they come alive on screen. Do people have high expectations? What are they?

#13 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 03:49 AM

Sorry about the double post here. I just thought I would share the new trailer that I came across. It looks lik the show is gonna be pretty cool. Tell me what you all think: trailer link

#14 of 65 BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 10:09 AM

New trailer is very cool -- thanks for posting that info.

Also -- that fan page is very informative.

I'm looking forward to this -- hope it will be as good as Dune was.

#15 of 65 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 11:10 AM

So far, scifi originals have been fine by me Posted Image Dune & Children of Dune were good (IMHO) better then a good deal; and Taken was interesting.

I'll see how it plays out, I'll definitely watch.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#16 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 12:58 AM

If the series is half as good as they are making it look, I am going to be very pleased. It seems like they know what the Earthsea fans are looking for when making these trailers and commercials.

#17 of 65 BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 06:32 AM

I agree -- it doesn't look like money was an issue with this.

The Dragon footage in the third trailer was amazing...

Can't wait.

#18 of 65 Steven.W.T

Steven.W.T

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted October 30 2004 - 08:49 AM

Scifi always makes pretty good trailers.

Never read the books. Will prolly check this mini out though.
"...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday
SaveFarscape.com

#19 of 65 BobbyPerry

BobbyPerry

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, they do always have good trailers. I hadn't really thought about that. I really am looking forward to seeing the words come to life. I think it could be a very cool adaptation of an already classic series.

#20 of 65 BridgetJZ

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 08:04 AM

I really enjoyed the books and am presently on the second book to get geared up to see this.

So far, so good. I think Kristin Kruek is the perfect choice for Tenar

Forum Nav Content I Follow