What's new

Just saw Team America (1 Viewer)

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from Team America and man was it the funniest movie I have seen this year, my friends and I were laughing hysterically the entire time. Definitely check it out, it makes fun of everybody, the left and the right and the middle, and has some of the funniest songs ever.

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I just came back from seeing this. Besides being very funny, I thought it was executed very well. The sets were beautiful. The songs are hilarious. (Amerrricaaa....FUCK YEAH!!!!) There are so many great moments that it would be difficult to list right now. The puppet sex scene is very funny and I can only imagine what the controversy is all about. They played a song over it so I'm wondering if they just edited all the words out. I can't imagine the scene being more graphic than it is right now unless a "pearl necklace" is involved.

I have to admit that I didn't really see any political message in this movie, which was a good thing for me. Maybe someone will enlighten me but it seemed that the whole point of the movie was to make fun of the war on terrorism and celebrities. I'll have more to discuss later. I need to relax after laughing so hard.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The movie is one of the funniest, open takes I've seen.. I think you can interpret it however you want, whether you're conservative or liberal. But some of the moments were riotous.

I was fortunate enough to see it in a screening where an actual member of the production staff was present. Made it all the better. The film had the audience -rolling- from the beginning, and some of the songs were off the charts.

Stay through the credits, as you get two songs not in the movie, including the "Kim Jong Il Sings Alec Baldwin Sucks" song.. which is a killer ;)

There were some things I noticed. On Tuesday I was at a distributor meeting and saw pieces and parts then. There is one -big- edit I noticed from what I saw in that:

During the sex scene, the female character was screaming "Fuck that Pussy.. " and other phrases, which kind of tied into the end, now that I've seen it all, and the 69 was carried out all the way, rather then as it was presented..

But I didn't get to see the whole thing as it was there, so don't know if there were other changes.

But this is one of the funnier films I've seen in a good long while. The scene with the cats (you'll know it when you see it).

This film is a home-run for Matt & Trey Parker fans, it's absolutely in the grand spirit of South Park: BLU, and a must see if you loved that film.

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
Funniest film I've ever seen in a theater. I was at least giggling through 99% of the entire thing and much of the time I was rocking back and forth in my chair laughing hysterically. There were literally only two or three scenes I wasn't amused by and they were all really short insert type things.

I just about died during the infamous sex scene. I can't even imagine what the NC-17 version was like. My God. :laugh: The rest of it was brilliant as well. The moral of the story was great, too - Dicks and pussies need each other or they'll be shit all over by assholes.
It's dumb, but there's actually a ring of truth to it.

BTW, is the soundtrack available yet? :D

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
Team America was the funniest movie I have seen all year. The whole theater was constantly laughing. The jokes and gags were so crude and over the top. That is one of the main reasons I thought the movie was so hilarious.

Team America was not afraid to take risks. This movie did not hold anything back. I also agree that the film was well executed. The jokes were perfectly timed for the most part and as a satire it worked really well.

I really like South Park (TV Show and movie) so I am used to the humor. Team America did not disappoint. I had high expectations going in and was overwhelmingly impressed when I left. I was surprised though that the movie was actually clever in the way that it mocked and poked fun at serious and pertinent world issues. This movie is not as stupid as some people might presume.

When the DVD is released I hope we can see the movie uncut that include the scenes that the MPAA forced to be removed to get an R rating. The scene in question (which provoked the biggest reaction) is already pretty risky so I wonder how the uncut version would play. Since the studio that would release the DVD is Paramount I doubt the uncut version would be released anytime in the foreseeable future though since they seem to have a policy on not releasing NC-17 movies on DVD.

I don't think anyone will get offended by this movie if they know what they're getting themselves into beforehand. If someone is prepared to view the movie and are familiar with the content, plot, concept and don't take the movie too seriously or unnecessarily read into it than I don't think there will be a problem.

The movie and filmmakers don't guard or protect anyone from their scathing derision or choose political affiliations. Team America has no partisan agenda and supports no cause. Everyone and everything is a target. That's what I enjoyed so much about it. The movie does not pull any of its punches. I commend the filmmakers for having the guts and courage to get this movie actually produced since the concept is rather bizarre.

So overall the movie is worth watching because it's genuinely funny and different than anything that is currently released at the moment. Team America was uproarious and hysterical so if someone wants to be entertained and have a good time then this movie is definitely worth your time and effort.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Just got back from a screening as well! Awesome stuff! I had a headache from laughing so hard! The songs were great even though one was recycled from South Park. I can't wait to see it again next week!

James_G, the soundtrack is scheduled for November 2!

--Ian

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so, is this essentially what the recent thunderbirds movie should have been?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

Yes, but the "Montage" song, was quite fitting for Team America. I didn't mind that it had been used in South Park's "Aspen" episode and recycled for this film. If anything, it helped to add to TA's charm. It also helped solidify the fact this was a Parker/Stone film (it kind of made me "feel at home", so to speak) ;)

Anyways - awesome and hilarious movie.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I'll be the dissenting:

I'm a huge South Park fan, and I've loved damn near everything Trey and Matt have done. I think this last season of South Park was maybe one of the best seasons of any series EVER, so it's not like I'm sketchy on these guys' talent.

But I think maybe my familiarity with their recent work on South Park is a detriment to this flick, because I'm spotting, very obviously, almost EVERY single rehashed, warmed over and already old joke they've already used from South Park and simply dressed up in puppets.

They're coasting, basically.

Plus, the main point of the movie is pretty thin. The themes and points they're making in this flick are, at best, enough content for MAYBE a half hour. "Action Movies are dumb and Actors shouldn't talk about Politics." Sorry--that's really not enough to base a movie on. So couple the way stretched out premise with the fact they're recycling all their best jokes from South Park without really adding anything to them, plus the very quickly eroding novelty of "hey. It's puppets. Ha ha. puppets" and I'm left with a pretty unoriginal (in that they're just recycling their own, already done right the first time material) and overall disappointing comedy.

There's about 4 sight gags worth a crap in the whole thing, and everything else just seems really tired. Honestly, it seems like they got very lost in the joke they were telling, and it's now this unfocused, sprawling miscue that they forgot the punchline to.

Basically, if you're not too familiar with recent South Park, you'll think this is all new and probably laugh your ass off, which is cool. But if you've paid attention to Parker and Stone's output over the past 3 years--none of this will be new, save for the fact it's now puppets instead of construction paper. And none of it is all that satisfying.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Basically, if you're not too familiar with recent South Park, you'll think this is all new and probably laugh your ass off, which is cool."

That's me -- if I had a DVR or TiVo, I'd be up on South Park, but I just never seem to make time to watch it.

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, except if the recent Thunderbirds live action movie was exactly like this then no children would have been allowed to go see it.:D

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
Saw the flick last night and laughed my ass off. This one is going to make a lot of parent groups mad.

And I jeep walking around singing to myself "America, fuck yeah..."

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's just--there's too many old, already better told jokes in this thing. Songs repeated from the show, themes repeated from the show, frigging CHARACTERS repeated from the show (Matt Damon = Timmy, Jong Il = Shitty Wall, etc. etc.) It just didn't rub me right. If I wanted to see those jokes again, I'd watch repeats of South Park. I don't think having puppets recite them makes those jokes brand new. It's like having a marionette tell you about the awesome show they watched last night at the water cooler, to me.

I honestly think the geek crowd is going to give this movie a pass for the first month or so just BECAUSE it's Matt and Trey.

Not to say there won't be people who genuinely love it, because of course there will be. I just don't think, after time, it's going to have the replay value that South Park: BLU had.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Well, I never watch South Park, even though I have loved the few episodes of the show I have seen, and I admire the SP movie.

The Naked Gun movies re-used many jokes from the Police Squad! TV series, and that didn't bother me. Good jokes.

If George Lucas can re-use the Death Star, I guess its okay if Trey and Matt re-use some jokes seen on their TV show.

I can't wait to see Team America, and the skewering of the Film Actor's Guild.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
hom·age ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hmj, m-)
n.
1.Ceremonial acknowledgment by a vassal of allegiance to his lord under feudal law.
2.Special honor or respect shown or expressed publicly. See Synonyms at honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks