What's new

New Miami Vice movie.... (merged) (1 Viewer)

GARY C

Second Unit
Without the pastel colors, blazers and sandles can it even be called Miami Vice? :D

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Gosh, just when Jamie Foxx began earning respect with Any Given Sunday, Collateral, and now Ray, he pulls a Booty Call (I love that movie) - I like Miami Vice, but I am not sure if this could work. Drama, comedy?

Ryan

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
It might be interesting to see an old tv show that's for once actually given a straight adaptation to the big screen instead of the kneejerk "Old stuff is, like, you know, SO FUNNY!!!" method that Hollywood's used for most such films recently.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
And of course, it wouldn't be Miami Vice without the classic Jan Hammer theme and all of the 80's period music that fit so perfectly with the series. That was one series where the music added to the mood of the stories. If they reinvent the music with a rap score, that'll just ruin it.

As for Sonny Crockett, I hope that they don't turn this into a stupid comedy and put someone like Owen Wilson in the role. While I happen to like Owen Wilson, he just wouldn't be right for the role. The best way is for Michael Mann to do this film version straight and have cameos by Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas in the film.

DustinPizarro

Stunt Coordinator
Quote: Word is Michael Mann wants Colin Farrell to play Crockett...

Noooo!!! Hasn't that guy been in enough movies already!?!

That aside, the idea of bringing Miami Vice is great as long as it stays true to its roots as a gritty, urban crime drama. And I don't think Michael Mann has done a comedy so I'm not worried. At least I don't think he has.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
Hehe.. I saw a 'headline' yesterday that said "Farrel and Foxx for Vice?" or something to that effect. I figured Foxx was for Jamie Foxx, who has shown he can do a serious role. But, for some reason I though Farrel was Will Farrel and my mind began reeling in denial from the thoughts of a Miami Vice comedy.

So I'll take Colin Farrell instead... ;P

RG

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
...but you don't...

The script preview makes it sound like what it should be, a great Michael Mann movie, but it's definitely not the TV series.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
If you could call any show a "relic" of the 80's, this would be it. It is so completely stuck in that time that I just can't see it working now. IMO, it's just too time specific. Though, they will probably just update to the point where it doesn't feel at all like the show. Basically, just use the title and character names like most tv shows turned movies years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks