Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD Review: VIDEODROME (Criterion Collection)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 08:11 AM

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#2 of 40 OFFLINE   Ian_H

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the review Michael! I can now finally retire my old Japanese laser disc. --Ian

#3 of 40 OFFLINE   Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers

Producer

• 3,481 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:08 AM

Great job on the review Michael. Posted Image

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive but I can't wait to watch it again, it is probably my favorite Cronenberg film.
Top 10 Film Lists: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004
Film Lists: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

#4 of 40 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,692 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:19 AM

Good review Michael, I look forward to your thoughts on the commentaries....can't wait to watch this one again (haven't seen it in a very long time) and also watch the roundtable discussion.Posted Image
Recently watched- Bionic Ever After?, Bionic Showdown: The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, The Return Of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Kingsman: The Secret Service, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4, Wolfen, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3, The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 2, Burn Notice: Season 1

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 3, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 2, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2, Heroes: Season 2, The Pacific, Burn Notice: Season 3, Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection

"Are we going to stand around here all day or are we going to fight?"

#5 of 40 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:27 AM

i saw this at the theater as well, and walked away from it never once feeling the desire to see it again in the preceding 21 years. however, i caught sight of the packaging for this in BB and based on that alone i'm considering giving the film another shot.

#6 of 40 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:36 AM

I'm watching this tonight - can't wait. I do have a question for Michael and anyone else: Why would anyone "downgrade" mono audio if mono audio was how the film was originally mixed and shown. That makes no sense to me. This film wasn't made today and shouldn't be judged by people who only think film has multi-channel sound. Mono sound served the industry for many many decades and there is nothing wrong with a well-mixed mono film. I've enjoyed some of the 5.1 remixes on certain films, but I would never want to be without the original mix which replicates how I saw a film in a theater. Thanks, Michael for not downgrading the mono sound and for your well-written paragraph about same.

#7 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:43 AM

Great review. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

I also have a little audio question though:

When a mono track is encoded as DD 2.0, the bits aren't on the disc twice? Or are they?

You could surely tell the player to spit out one bit of wonderful mono data twice? Posted Image
E-Mail | Collection

#8 of 40 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:52 AM

I can think of various reasons, but I'd rather not speculate. The fact remains that many DVD reviews dump on mono tracks, regardless of how well they present the original sound (one publication became famous for its use of phrases like "undistinguished mono"). M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#9 of 40 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 10:56 AM

Super review Michael - thank you. Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#10 of 40 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 11:26 AM

Excellent review, I haven't seen this in years, when I found out that Criterion was releasing, well I gotta get me a copy. Pair it off with Naked Lunch.Posted Image

#11 of 40 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,577 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 02:54 PM

This is my favorite Cronenberg film, not to mention one of my top 10 favorite films, and I've waited a long time for it to get this type of treatment. It was well worth the wait, and this is my favorite release of 2004. Now, if only Criterion would do a DVD for Crash.

#12 of 40 OFFLINE   Joe Cortez

Joe Cortez

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 06:14 PM

Great, great review. Many thanks.
I hope I wasn't the only one that cracked a huge smile when they read this. Can't wait for this set!

#13 of 40 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,769 posts

Posted September 05 2004 - 06:50 PM

Good review. Have got my copy, but only managed a couple of minutes of viewing so far. I agree on that short sampling that the picture is excellent. I too like the packaging - not only because it's very neat touch in itself, but it shows the depth of detailed thought that's gone into this release.

#14 of 40 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 06:57 AM

Haven't seen this feature but I did enjory two of the director's films: Crash & The Fly. Should I rent this movie or is this a cool blind purchase?
[c][/c]

#15 of 40 OFFLINE   Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 07:19 AM

Criterions tend to keep their value. Buy it, if you don't like it you can easily sell it again without much loss (if any) at eBay....
E-Mail | Collection

#16 of 40 OFFLINE   ArthurMy

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor

• 590 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 08:55 AM

I watched it last night. I like the transfer a lot, and the film, which is not my favorite Cronenberg (favorites are The Dead Zone, The Fly and Dead Ringers, along with Scanners), has actually aged well in an interesting sort of way. It looks great, sounds great, and the extras are worth the extra dough.

#17 of 40 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 10:11 AM

I got it and loved the Beta packaging and...er...I couldn't resist sticking it into my stomach slit and...well...I haven't gotten it back yet. ..found some old keys though.....and a remote...
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#18 of 40 OFFLINE   Eric Emma

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor

• 508 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 12:22 PM

I really like the Fly, and the plot sounds awesome. I love open ended movies that are open for interpretations... Actually I love all films Posted Image My favorites list run something like Citizen Kane, Robocop, Muppet Movie, Brazil, Ghostbusters... Posted Image So do you think this is blind buy worthy?

#19 of 40 OFFLINE   Simon Caleb

Simon Caleb

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted September 06 2004 - 01:37 PM

Got to say, I found this release to be one of the best so far since dvd began. The round table featurette & assorted behind the scenes clips were amazing to see. I'm about to pile in to the Ultimate Dawn of the Dead set, which i have a feeling will be equelly stunning.
It's a 'need to know' situation, Paramount need to know we want F13th 2-8's restored and uncensored. No amount of talking head extras will do.

#20 of 40 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted September 07 2004 - 02:28 AM

Watched it this weekend... phenomenal! I was constantly surprised at just how good this movie looks and sounds, and how well the subject matter has held up. I've also listened to the director/cinematographer commentary and the first half of the actors' commentary, and both are absolutely top-notch. Cronenberg is, as always, focused and articulate. I've found his commentaries to be among the best of the director variety (Soderbergh, Minghella, Scorsese also tend to be very good IMO). James Woods' effort is also quite good, and he seems surprisingly familiar and fluent in the themes of the film even after all these years. Not at all one of those "first time I've seen it in ages... what's going on here?" yak-tracks. Quite in-depth, and, like Cronenberg, quite articulate and focused. Deborah Harry has just a bit less to add, but is nonetheless very engaging and interesting. She acknowledges her amateur status as an actor, but understands full-well the persona she was bringing to the role and why Cronenberg wanted her. She's an astute, culturally aware person, which should come as no surprise to those who've followed her career a bit closer than just remembering all those great Blondie singles. In fact, the next day, I dug out my DCC gold disc of "Parallel Lines" and reminded myself what a brilliant album that is, start to finish... and it absolutely is brilliant, and holds up every bit as well as "Videodrome"! I've still got some commentary, the short film "Camera", and the entirety of disc 2 to take in, but this is easily one of the best special editions I've seen this year. I can't imagine how it could possibly be improved.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users