Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

4805, pb6100 or optoma H30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   TomT

TomT

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 02:29 PM

The more I know, the more I don't know. I borrowed an X1 from the school I work at and it easily convinced my wife that FP is the way to go even after checking out my cousins new Samsung 60" or whatever it was. School starts soon, so I need to take it back. I will mostly watch movies with it. HDTV, gaming and regular TV are at this point very unlikely. Light control is not an issue. 4:3 works for me. When I do watch a 16:9 I adjust the zoom and roll up the screen and it looks just fine. I'm not sure I have seen rainbows, but Marlin, in Finding Nemo has an orange "halo" around him on my borrowed X1. What is that? I like the price at buy.com for the 6100 but the others are also at a good price also. I will run it with a Denon 900 DVD player. Does any one set-up a outdoor theatre? My family and neighbors are ready to bring out their lawn chairs. Any help or suggestions are always welcome for this newbie, Thanks!

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds

Second Unit

• 356 posts

Posted August 05 2004 - 10:12 PM

In terms of picture quality, the 4805 is probably best, followed fairly closely by the H30.

The PB6100 is a little worse (but better than the X1), but can be had for $750 refurbed here:

http://www.tigerdire....P=OTC-SHOPPING

So I guess it depends on your budget.

Steve

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Bruce McDermott

Bruce McDermott

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 06:03 AM

Check out the newest Home Theater issue (September). They liked the Optoma. Best black levels, best deinterlacer, most adjustable, among other things. The comparo was with a BenQ PB6200 DLP and a Epson PowerLite Home 10+ LCD.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 07:15 AM

The orange 'halo' in finding nemo will be visible to some extent on any screen. It's intentional. Watch the movie with the commentary track, or watch the copious special features, and thet talk about how the clown fish in the movie are modeled in 3D with the computer set to produce their flesh as a sort of translucent plastic, hence the halo. As far as projectors, I love the 4805.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   DaveGTP

DaveGTP

Screenwriter

• 2,096 posts

Posted August 06 2004 - 12:05 PM

All three of them are good units. You've done your research. H30 - 4x wheel, 4:3, good pixelworks deinterlacer/scaler 4805 - 4x wheel, 16:9, good Faroudja deinterlacer/scaler PB6100 - 3x wheel (I think?), not as good deinterlacer/scaler Personally, I would be trying to decide between the H30 and the 4805. The H30 retails for less, and can be found for less, than the 4805. Personally I like 4:3, since I have a lot of 4:3 sources (can anyone say Mario Kart!!). And unless you have an issue with rainbows on the X1 like me, I'd get an X1 cheap (sometimes sub-$800) before I got the PB6100. So I'd say it is H30 or 4805.
Matheson- "There are probably some who'll say that by doing this, we are interfering with their culture."

Gideon - "Probably. Screw them."
-Crusade, Visitors from Down the Street