What's new

IDE question..installing new drive (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
I just bought a DVD burner. I also have a regular dvd drive.

ALL IDE. I used to have just a CD-writer, also hooked up IDE, but I unhooked it to install the dvd burner in its place.

I kept everyhting the same, just disconnected my cd-r and installed the dvd burner in its place the same way.

But now, NONE of my drives show up (neither the dvd or the dvd-r drive). None of them show up in my computer. They get LED lights when the computer comes on and when windows starts up, but no new hardware is found.

Only thing that shows up is my Hard drive. Is this a master/slave jumper problem? If so, how should I have this hooked up? I dont really know which slot is the master/slave on the drives either.

Any help?

Thanks

KenKusan

Grip
Hello,
Try checking the jumper settings(usually on top or back) on the dvd drives. If they dont say on the drive themselves, check the manuals.
Set the burner to master and rom to slave. Also make sure the connection for the ide cable is plugged in properly.

Good Luck!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
It sounds to me like the IDE cable just came loose from the motherboard. Just open it back up and unplug the IDE cable and plug it back in making sure everything is secure and I think you'll be fine.

Cary_H

Second Unit
Your HD is likely the master drive on your primary IDE channel, the CD Rom drive the slave.
Your burner was probably the master on the secondary IDE channel. (if you are running RAID, I'm not the guy to be taking advice from)

If you set the new drive's jumpers for 'cable select' and failed to position it correctly on the IDE ribbon cable it will not work. If you plugged the cable in the new drive the wrong way around this may also be your problem.
You ought to have two IDE ribbons from the motherboard's IDE bus. One, connected to the motherboard's primary pins, the other to the secondary right next to the primary. The ribbon cable will have one edge with a red stripe running it's full length so you'll line it up correctly into the drive's slot. It won't work if the ribbon is plugged in upside down in the drive, so that's where I'd be looking first if you either disconnected the ribbon from the board, or weren't aware that the ribbon's plugs have a right and left.
Once you're confident you've got it right, you'll want to go into the BIOS on startup to tell it where you've put what.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks