Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

ALIAS season 4 ongoing thread (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
787 replies to this topic

#1 of 788 OFFLINE   Craig J. Koban

Craig J. Koban

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:15 AM

This completely blows.

Apparently ABC will start to air the 4TH season in Jan 2005 without interruptions to make room for a new fall show called...get this...DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

The network obviously does not care about this show...or its loyal fans. So, after this Sunday, no new shows until 2005...DAMMIT!!!

#2 of 788 OFFLINE   Todd Henry

Todd Henry

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:23 AM

I like the idea because it means it will run every Sunday till the end with no breaks. Since the shows are very serial in nature, it makes sense.

As I think about TV programming in the future, you might see more of this. It is like the HBO shows that run 13 straight weeks.

Todd

#3 of 788 OFFLINE   Tony_La

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:27 AM

I kinda like this move. Instead of seeing a few episodes in September & October then going to repeats or other shows throughout November & December & parts of January during the holiday hiatus, we'll get all new episodes every week from January to May.

I hear 24 may be going this route as well, which is fine by me since 24 does start until after baseball, waiting another month or two to get 24 weeks of new episodes is fine by me.

#4 of 788 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:31 AM

ABC has used this strategy before with NYPD Blue. As has already been noted, it has its advantages.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 788 OFFLINE   Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 03:31 AM

Well, now you see why ABC is about the most poorly run network , next to the WB, ever. They have no idea how to nurture the good shows they have and are more than willing to kill them in favor of some new crap show, which this Desperate Housewives, seems to be. They cancelled Sports Night for Christ's sake. Only a completely mismanaged network would cancel a show that garnered an Emmy and nonstop critical praise and had a decent sized viewing audience.

#6 of 788 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,941 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:38 AM

As much as I do not want to wait to January, I have to say I will appreciate not having three-week breaks between shows that often end in cliffhanger.

#7 of 788 OFFLINE   Kelly W

Kelly W

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:41 AM

Will it really run "uninterrupted"? They wouldn't show a new episode on nights like Super Bowl Sunday, Oscar night, or during their annual Ten Commandments showing, right? I don't see this being too big a selling-point.

But if the delay gives J.J. Abrams more time to come up with a killer season then I'm all for it. This season, while good, was a little bit of a let-down for me. And if they go back to the old cliffhanger-style endings, then I'll REALLY be happy.

-Kelly

#8 of 788 OFFLINE   David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter

• 1,435 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:44 AM

I like this move because I've always hated waiting 2 or 3 weeks for the next new episode. Desperate Housewives is something I won't be tuning in to watch (however).
ENTERLINE MEDIA (entertainment articles and DVD/Movie/TV show reviews)

#9 of 788 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 14,244 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 19 2004 - 05:08 AM

I'm not enthused about this. I don't like all the random 3 week gaps in the current season, but will it really run uninterrupted as a half-season show? Also, 9 months between season finale and the next season is far too long. That's a good way to lose your audience. After nearly a year, it will be hard to get back into the Alias groove, remember what was going on, and quickly rekindle the enthusiasm. Over that much time people can lose interest or even just forget about it.

Hopefully it will work well, but it's not a clear slamdunk for the show.

#10 of 788 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Also, 9 months between season finale and the next season is far too long. That's a good way to lose your audience.
Or it could pull a Crossing Jordan, which has actually seen its ratings jump after an even longer wait (despite not showing the resolution to last year's cliffhanger yet) - ABC can play up its return as a big event, maybe pair it with Lost on Wednesdays if that does well.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#11 of 788 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted May 19 2004 - 06:07 AM

They cancelled Sports Night for Christ's sake. Only a completely mismanaged network would cancel a show that garnered an Emmy and nonstop critical praise and had a decent sized viewing audience.

Hey, remember when Jurassic Park came out, and ABC was the only network that had not one but two shows featuring dinosaurs on their schedule, and instead of riding the wave of dinosaur hysteria to boost both programs to new heights, they cancelled them both over the summer.

That was very clever.
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#12 of 788 ONLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,941 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 07:38 AM

Quote:
I don't like all the random 3 week gaps in the current season, but will it really run uninterrupted as a half-season show?

The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely it will run uninterupted, what with SuperBowl Sunday (doesn't matter which network it is on, no one wants to go up against it), Oscar Sunday and Easter Sunday all coming in that part of the year.

#13 of 788 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 07:41 AM

Of course, that's assuming Alias stays on Sundays; ABC may opt not to mess with a good thing if Desperate Housewives does well and put it on whatever other day needs shoring up.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 788 OFFLINE   Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 07:55 AM

Also, 9 months between season finale and the next season is far too long. That's a good way to lose your audience.

Doesn't seem to adversely effect the Sopranos which goes much longer between seasons.

Personally, I like this idea. Its much closer to what cable outlets have been doing. If networks were to get in a regular groove with this it would allow them to schedule more original programming year round and would take off some of the pressure for a single show to have to anchor a timeslot for an entire year.

I see this type of programming being the wave of the future, particularly as DVRs continue to gain market share.

#15 of 788 OFFLINE   Dick White

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 08:45 AM

I don't really care when they run it as long as they get the season's DVD set out in a reasonable time frame. For me (with no DVR), DVD is perfect for shows like this and 24. No commercials, an occasional special feature, and best of all...no waiting to see how the cliffhangers come out.

I quit watching the first season of 24 and refused to get hooked on Alias the first season because I got totally frustrated by missing episodes. But I was quick to buy the DVDs. I'm in the middle of Season 2 of Alias right now and should be done with it in another week or so. Can't wait for day 3 of 24. I'd like to watch it in "real time," but I'm too old to pull an all nighter Posted Image .

#16 of 788 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Hey, remember when Jurassic Park came out, and ABC was the only network that had not one but two shows featuring dinosaurs on their schedule, and instead of riding the wave of dinosaur hysteria to boost both programs to new heights, they cancelled them both over the summer.

Oh man, that show with the dinosaurs starring as the Flinstones/theHoneymooners was great! I think Jim Henson was involved in it? Anyway that was a great show.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#17 of 788 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 10:35 AM

I think this could be very positive for the show. The fans will continue with the show. It's not like people honestly forget that a show isn't on when it doesn't start in september. The Simpsons always starts in like November. That shows manages to maintain good audiences...

#18 of 788 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 11:09 AM

Posted ImagePosted Image

There is no way this runs uninterrupted based on past history, and I don't believe ABC. I hope Eisner and Co get the boot soon.

Why are they trying to kill off their only shows?? This also means almost no repeat shows at all. I don't like the three week waits, but they're the ones sticking a three week wait on the finale instead of showing it with the Practice finale or even the weekend before.

#19 of 788 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 04:02 PM

I think it's positive: 1) The show was renewed rather than cancelled, and 2) it's going to run with no repeats from January through June.

Why all the gloom and doom? The big fall season premiere kickoff is increasingly becoming meaningless when you have some networks jumping the gun, other networks having to hold back due to sports (LCS & World Series, and Monday Night Football). At least one network has been ordering more than the usual number of episodes to keep new episodes running through at least part of the summer, and some networks have introduced new shows to kill time in the summer that turned out to be big hits. The networks are planning year-round strategies. They aren't trying to kill the show. It has a place on ABC's schedule.

Come on, it's only a few months delay. Sopranos fans had to wait from May 2001 until September of 2002 -- note the year difference -- and again from December 2002 until March 2004.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#20 of 788 OFFLINE   Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted May 19 2004 - 05:27 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I love the move, I did not get into Alias until the first dvd set came out. I'll be finishing the second season pretty soon and in the fall I'll be picking up Season 3 on dvd and have plenty of time to watch it before the 4th season kicks off. Posted Image (I am not watching it on TV now, because I want to see all the episodes in order and not have things spoiled)

Forum Nav Content I Follow