Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with SACD on Denon DVD 5900 & HK AVR 7200

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Thira

Thira

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 06:34 AM

Hi all. Looking for some help. I just added the Denon DVD-5900 to my home theater. My AVR unit is the HK AVR 7200. Speakers are: Monitor Audio Silver S10 fronts/main Monitor Audio Silver S1 rears Monitor Audio Silver S-LCR Monitor Audio Silver SFX Surrounds Velodyne HGS-18 Subwoofer The DVD-5900 is connected to the AVR 7200 with digital audio (coax1), and analog audio from the left & right outs on the DVD 5900 to the DVD left & right audio ins on the AVR 7200. Video is via component connectors from the DVD 5900 to the AVR 7200. A 50' Panasonic Plasma is my monitor. When I try to play the Rolling Sones SACD Beggars Banquet on the DVD 5900, there is no sound. The AVR 7200 shows the left and right speaker channels blinking off & on. If I go into the OSD of the AVR 7200 and change the audio source from the DVD source to analog the SACD plays. Everything else plays fine. The HDTV receiver plays the appropriate audio fine (HD from DIrect TV or Over The Air local channels). DVD movies play fine thru the DVD 5900. I have a turntable via a preamp connected into the analog CD on the AVR 7200 & this is appropriate. I read the manual for the DVD 5900 an I believe my setup is correct on this unit. I should mention that the unit was purched from Crutchfield and is a refurbished one which I have just received. Before I reture it I wanted to check if there is something else that I may not have correct on my end. Thank you for the anticipated helpful replies. Thira

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Thira

Thira

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 09:01 AM

Looking thru Jesse's post below, and looking at SA-CD.net, the Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet is Stereo, hybrid and analogue. So am I correct that my system plays this SACD correct (meaning I must change the settings on my AVR 7200 from digital coax to analog)? When I have this setting the SACD plays thru my system, albeit thru only the two front channels. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Aaron Ssikind

Aaron Ssikind

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 12:04 PM

If you just want to listen to the stereo channels of the SACD layer of the disc, your set-up will work. To listen to a multichannel (surround) SACD (or DVD-audio, for that matter) disc, you should hook up the multichannel analog outputs of the Denon (e.g. front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right and subwoofer outputs) to the multichannel (6/8 channel) inputs of the HK 7200 (on the rear panel, just to the left of the HK's digital inputs) and set the source on the receiver to 6/8 channel (rather than DVD). The coaxial digital connection between the DVD player and the receiver will only transfer the data from the regular CD layer of the SACD (if it has one). I have no idea why you don't hear anything over the digital connection when listening to that particular SACD.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 12:58 PM

yes, you MUST use an analog connection to play the hirez portion of sacds, whether 2-channel OR multi-channel. you probably can't hear anything with your digi connection because your digital output may have been turned off on the player, or you didn't set it up properly to play the non-hirez material instead of the hirez. if that's what you're trying to do.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Thira

Thira

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 03:10 PM

SO do I need to connect up like Aaron suggests or do I not have an output set correctly as I now have my system wired with inputs? Thanks

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 09 2004 - 04:19 PM

SACD will *NOT* play through any sort of digital connection, same with DVD-Audio. You'll have to use the analog outputs from the DVD player to the receiver in order to enjoy the high-resolution tracks. You'll be able to play the DD/DTS/Redbook tracks some of these CDs may contain, but the highres track can *ONLY* be played through analog outputs. The way I have it setup is that I have my multichannel inputs connected using 6 analog cables, and use that only to listen to SACD/DVDA (i.e. when I absolutely need to). For movies and such, I use a digital cable. When using analog connections, it is the DVD player that does the processing (including decoding, bass management, etc); when you use a digital connection, you let your receiver handle all that. You should experiment to see which works out better for you for DVD playback.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael__M

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 03:40 AM

For the 7200 use the multichannel inputs as described above. You will need 6 rca lines ( or 3 pairs) to connect all of it. You will then use the 6/8 channel input (instead of dvd or cd) to listen to the hires discs. There are different 6/8 channel input configs on the 7200. Some use outboard bass management, and some use onboard. Look it up in the manual to be sure you are using it correctly. It should sound great when you get it right. Michael
A mind expanded by new experiences can never return to it's old dimensions.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 04:14 AM

you can also connect the player with only 2 (1 pr.) analog cables (l+r) and set the 5900 up for 2 channel playback if you do not wish to use the multichannel hirez music capabilities and only want 2 channel hirez.
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,560 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 10 2004 - 11:14 AM

Actualy, the 5900 has the ability to pass both hi-res formats via digital, but ONLY to compatible Denon receivers - 5803, 3805, 4802R(?)
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 11:18 AM

Right...totally forgot about the whole iLink or whatever it's called. Pioneer Elite has the same type of connection possibility, but when I was posting I was thinking only digital coax/fibre optic.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Thira

Thira

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted May 10 2004 - 11:21 PM

I just hooked it up to the analog inputs. I used 8 channels (Front L&R, Surround L&R, Rear Surrond L&R, Center, & subwoofer). Niiiiiiice! It is simply incredible. Thanks all! Thira

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted May 11 2004 - 02:03 AM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users