-

Photo
- - - - -

Did "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater" just have it's soul sucked out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 01:47 PM

The new issue came in the mail today. It's now called "Stereophile Ultimate AV".

The first chance I noticed is the tabloid style headlines on the cover.

SHAKE THINGS UP - SUBWOOFERS TO ROCK YOUR WORLD

5.1 VS 7.1 - THE GREAT CHANNEL DEBATE

Oh brother.

Article headlines and attention grabbers now cater to the least common denomenator. "DVD ALERT!".

Well, I guess the good news is that maybe my subject line was a bit harsh. It's "soul" still seem to be intact. But clearly they've lost their "small enthusiast rag" nature and the ship is now being steered by their large publishing corporation overlords. We'll see how it goes from here.

-Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted May 06 2004 - 03:14 PM

From Stereophile's site: Ultimate AV Launched.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted May 07 2004 - 06:46 AM

Quote:
It's "soul" still seem to be intact. But clearly they've lost their "small enthusiast rag" nature and the ship is now being steered by their large publishing corporation overlords.
I had to check the date on your post. AFAIC, this publication lost its soul on the first issue. The "lots of advertising = good review" methodology is alive and well...

From the article:
Quote:
the redesigned magazine will feature 16 pages of new and expanded editorial content for high-end audio/video enthusiasts, more advertisers, and an enhanced consumer-friendly design.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Todd K

Todd K

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 07:54 AM

I don't really care what they do to the magazine. I think I may be the lowest common denominator they're catering to, since the equipment they feature is way more expensive than anything I'd ever even think about buying.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted May 07 2004 - 09:14 PM

I got the subs. of this mag (at a very good price) based on what was said here. I actually liked Home Theater Mag more. The articles were actually more in-depth (I still refer back to their DVD-A vs. SACD comparison from over 3 years ago) and had much more content.

However that Watching the Bytes article is pretty interesting. They compare all the different bitrates w/QAM/8VSB/QPSK. Though they only have 1 screenshot example that is a simulation. Posted Image I wish they'd throw more pictures around throughout the mag.

Forum Nav Content I Follow