What's new

Sirius vs XM for Rock (1 Viewer)

BrianAe

Second Unit
OK. So, I was all set to get XM (largely based upon the feedback from Ron and others on this forum). For the last few weeks I've been analyzing my hardware options but at the same time, I've been listening to Sirius streamed over the internet. While I agree that XM has better content for many listeners and probably does for my wife as well, I'm wondering if Sirius is where it is at for rock and especially for classic rock.

For starters, the deep cuts classic rock channel on Sirius is very decent. It plays fairly deep and I have not heard a song repeat in about 5 hours of total listening. They play a lot of deep dead, hell I even heard a New Riders of the Purple Sage song yesterday.

In addition, they have 3 other channels devoted to mainly classic rock and another channel devoted to modern jam bands. The other classic rock stations are mainly hits and don't seem to go too deep but at least they are solidly rock.

On XM, they do have a deep cut classic rock station but that seems to be the only one devoted to classic rock. If this station is really great then that is great. However, if it wouldn't fill my need for classic rock then it seems there aren't any other channels devoted to classic rock. I'm sure the decade channels play some but I'd get a lot of pop and disco in the mix too. Of course Fred seems like a great channel to listen to also.

Can anyone comment on the strength of XM for rock in general and classic rock specifically?

Van Patton

Second Unit
Hey,

I got XM installed in my Tundra about 2 months ago and I love it to death!! You are right about the rock issue though. A good friend of mine has Sirius in his Rubicon, and the classic rock station really shines through! The only thing that Sirius does better than XM, imo, is Rock. Their jam band station is excellent. Channel 46 on XM plays classic rock but it is spread throughout the decades and isn't "classic" rock IMO. The Sirius classic rock station played great, classic cuts of rock while I listened to it. I love jam bands and not having that great station is a letdown to me. I emailed XM and requested a jam band station. They replyed back and said one would be available around September (better late than never.)

All things considered, I would select XM over Sirius. XM has everything you'd want except a jam band channel. XM Music Lab, channel 51, does play some jam bands, but they mostly focus on bands such as Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, and Spock's Beard.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I guess it depends on what your definition of "classic rock" is, which is encroaching into the 80s. 46 does a decent enough job for me, and while Sirius certainly has more classic rock choices, it is what they DON'T play that has chased me away. XM better covers that for me.

Good news! That should make both the Jam Band and Progressive Rock fans happy...

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.