Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Best Buy to reformat their DVD department...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 05:19 AM

I got this from Video Business Online :

APRIL 2 | Best Buy, the nation's No. 1 video sell-through retailer, is shuffling its DVD product in stores across the country.

Changes include moving music DVDs, which have seen strong sales growth, to CD sections to open up shelf space, according to supplier sources. TV on DVD sections will be expanded and broken into three new categories of TV: comedy, action/drama and sci-fi/horror. TV on DVD was a $1.5 billion business last year, according to VB research.

A spokesman for the retailer said the changes are being made to clarify categories for customers.

"As DVDs take up more floor space, you always have to be adjusting to help people navigate," he said.

Westerns and war movies will be pulled from the action and drama categories and moved into their own section, as will martial arts films. The sci-fi/horror section will be split into separate sections.

Some Disney family and children's titles, now in a Disney DVD section, will shift to an expanded children's category in some stores, the spokesman said. The musical DVD category will be cut.

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 06:50 AM

This is probably the better area to discuss that press release, Scott. Thanks for posting it.

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

• 1,494 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 07:04 AM

Interesting Scott. Thanks for the heads-up. It'll be interesting to see how much of a real-world this results in, but it's definitely a strong non to the ever growing strength of DVD.

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   MikeEckman

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:11 AM

Im probably in the minority, but I just wish they would do everything in alphabetical order. I mean, that way, there would be no question as to where they would find something. If I want Alien, I go to 'A' instead of guessing Sci-Fi or Action, if I want Shanghai Noon, I go to 'S' instead of guessing, Comedy, Action, or Martial Arts, if I want Return to Oz, I go to 'R' instead of guessing Disney, or Adventure...etc.
Mike Eckman
Chicago Heights, IL
Music Webpage: http://www.metalreviewcentre.com
Car Webpage: http://www.metalrevi...com/transam.htm

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:14 AM

Quote:
I just wish they would do everything in alphabetical order
CDs and DVDs should both be this way. You never can guess what the person who decided what category a movie is what smoking at the time of sorting.

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:18 AM

^ but the goal for them is for you to BROWSE. They don't want people to just march in there, grab the dvd they want right away, and leave. They want people to look around, search for the titles they're looking for, and hoping that while you do this, you'll also stumble on other titles that you may end up buying. More $$ for them! Posted Image

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

• 986 posts

Quote:
Im probably in the minority, but I just wish they would do everything in alphabetical order.

AMEN, brother. i can't tell you the number of times i've thought the same thing as i've wandered thru various sections trying to find a movie that could fit several genres.

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Alphabetical order would be okay if you were the only one in the store... but can you imagine all the people in the "S" section on a weekend Posted Image

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,958 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:36 AM

So now Best Buy is emulating Media Play (which I thought they owned anyhow, along with some other chain stores).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:50 AM

I like alphabetical order too, much easier to find titles that are on the bubble with two or three categories.

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 08:53 AM

Quote:
You never can guess what the person who decided what category a movie is what smoking at the time of sorting.

You mean what the MOVIE COMPANY is smoking?? Employees do NOT decide what genre the film goes under!

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 09:39 AM

They don't want people to just march in there, grab the dvd they want right away, and leave. They want people to look around, search for the titles they're looking for, and hoping that while you do this, you'll also stumble on other titles that you may end up buying. More $$ for them!
Nope, LESS money for them. God knows how many times I wanted a dvd and couldn't find it cause it was missorted. I used to spend a long time going through all the different sections. But as time goes on, screw it. If I can't find it pretty quickly, I'm moving on. Alphabetical would be much better. Circuit City got so bad that I mostly never even try to find anything in there anymore (unless it's an advertised special).
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   jonathan_little

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator

• 223 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
CDs and DVDs should both be this way. You never can guess what the person who decided what category a movie is what smoking at the time of sorting.

CDs in alphabetical order?! If something like this was ever implemented, instead of browsing just the "soundtrack" section for interesting film scores, I'd have to look through ALL of the CDs! No thanks, browsing a single section takes enough time and contains enough junk to filter through.

If I do have a specific DVD title that I'm looking for and it takes me three tries to guess the genre, I've eaten up maybe five minutes of my time searching for it. That seems like a decent trade-off for more convenient browsing (which I do much more often than search for a specific title).

When Best Buy says that the "musical category will be cut," does that mean that movies like The Sound of Music are going to be listed under comedy, drama, or something else? Or does that just mean that this section will still exist, but it will be made smaller since the "music DVD" titles have been moved to the CD area?

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,508 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 09:46 AM

So now Best Buy is emulating Media Play (which I thought they owned

Nope, Media Play is part of the Musicland/Sam Goody/Suncoast Video family...

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,508 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 09:51 AM

CDs and DVDs should both be this way

I don't agree...

I worked at Virgin Megastore in Denver one summer. During one reconfiguration of the store, all the import CDs were merged with the domestic CDs. It was much easier to find interesting import music when it had its own section.

And I HATE shopping at my local CC because they merchandise the TV on DVD within the genre of the show ("Friends" in Comedy, for example) rather than having a TV section.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,958 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 10:00 AM

Best Buy divested themselves of the Musicland/Media Play/Sam Goody/Suncoast last year, that was what I had remembered.

http://www.bizjourna....16/daily4.html
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,047 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 11:00 AM

Arranging all the titles in alphabetical order is a solution that is only practical in theory.
Putting DVDs into sub-categories and then alpha is easier to maintain over the long haul and I think it makes it easier to find the items I want, but heck that is just my opinion.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Kain_C

Kain_C

Screenwriter

• 1,036 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 11:00 AM

Yes, that is correct. Best Buy at one time had purchased Sam Goody, Musicland, Suncoast, etc. However, it apparently was losing money so it all got sold off again.

The reason stuff isn't in alphabetical order is because imagine when new releases come out and the ENTIRE DVD SECTION has to be resorted. I think it's easier when there are several shelves to resort instead of ALL OF THEM. So now you know.

And if some of you people have such a hard time finding DVDs, why don't you just ask someone that works there?

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,276 posts

Posted April 04 2004 - 11:18 AM

Quote:
The musical DVD category will be cut.

Nobody else is bothered by this?

Neil

#20 of 60 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,704 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 04 2004 - 11:24 AM

You mean what the MOVIE COMPANY is smoking?? Employees do NOT decide what genre the film goes under!
I doubt it's the studios, more likely it's some corporate weasel who has never held a DVD in their life, much less watch them to determine which genre they belong in. How else do you explain why for several months Final Destination was filed under "Drama" at Best Buy, while Final Destination 2 was kept in "Sci Fi/Horror"?

Perhaps Freddy vs. Jason should be in "Comedy"? Or Driving Miss Daisy under "Action"? Sounds as logical as most decisions made at that level. Posted Image

And if some of you people have such a hard time finding DVDs, why don't you just ask someone that works there?
Ha hah ha ha hah hahahahahahahah....stop it, ROTFLMAO....hahahahahaha....*wipes tear*...stop it...you're killin' me here! Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow