What's new

Speaker Wire? What size? (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
My views on speaker cable are a little different. Now going back about 10 years ago I met a very helpful owner of a high end audio retailer. I had just bought a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers and he suggested cables. He gave me a 10' set of cables that cost $99 and another set that sold for $999.
I went home, hired my brother to keep changing cables from the $99 set to the $999 set to the wire I had been using, regular 14 ga speaker wire from a spool.
I was able to pick out the 14ga spool wire every time. Even without knowing what cable was being used, I was able to pick out the name brand cables, the $99 and $999 cables from the 14ga wire every time. Then I was right around 50/50 when picking between the $99 cables and the $999 cables.
I went back to the dealer and bought the $99 cables, Straight Wire Quartet cables. A great deal for a nice improvement in sound for only $99. The cables are still in use today,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is all you really need to know regarding size. It is science, not magic. The length of run and the load presented over that distance determines the wire AWG you need:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable
Mr645 said:
My views on speaker cable are a little different. Now going back about 10 years ago I met a very helpful owner of a high end audio retailer. I had just bought a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce speakers and he suggested cables. He gave me a 10' set of cables that cost $99 and another set that sold for $999.
I went home, hired my brother to keep changing cables from the $99 set to the $999 set to the wire I had been using, regular 14 ga speaker wire from a spool.
I was able to pick out the 14ga spool wire every time. Even without knowing what cable was being used, I was able to pick out the name brand cables, the $99 and $999 cables from the 14ga wire every time. Then I was right around 50/50 when picking between the $99 cables and the $999 cables.
I went back to the dealer and bought the $99 cables, Straight Wire Quartet cables. A great deal for a nice improvement in sound for only $99. The cables are still in use today,
If they weren't all 14AWG then the test was invalid.

Brian Alley

Auditioning
Real Name
BLA
John Garcia said:
If they weren't all 14AWG then the test was invalid.
The whole post is invalid without the wire size, driving power, speaker efficiency, etc. If he was running high power to low efficiency/impedance, then the regular 14 may very well cause clipping, which is easy for even a layman to detect.

ShowMeCables

Agent
Real Name
Paul
I've seen a number a places that sell speaker wire by the foot. No need to buy excess when not needed

Mike Thomass

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-024
12awg OFC less than $50 for 50 feet

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mike Thomass said:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-024
12awg OFC less than $50 for 50 feet
A dollar a foot is what I'd call average, not cheap. You can get basically the same thing off Amazon for less than half the price. That isn't a knock against Parts Express either, because I buy a lot of stuff from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks