What's new

DVD recorders that can improve image quality from VHS? (1 Viewer)

Darell B.

Auditioning
I have been researching DVD recorders and I have identified the features that I feel I must have on a recorder. My primary uses for a DVD recorder are to archive my home videos (priceless!) from VHS; transfer some home videos from a DV camcorder; and record an occasional TV program.

I have narrowed it down to a few recorders: The Toshiba DR-1; Panasonic E60; and the Sony GX7. The Sony looks like the one I'll go with because the Sony website says that the recorder can actually improve recordings from a VHS source. So, I have a couple questions that I would like to ask:

Does the Sony GX7 really improve image quality from a VHS source? If so, can you see a difference, even slightly?

Does any other consumer level recorder have the technology to improve image quality from a VHS source?

Thank you very much!!!!

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
With features like Time Base Correction, it is possible that your VHS tapes will look better than if you play them on a garden-variety VHS player. (Of course, VHS decks are just so darn cheap nowadays; no one really makes quality VHS decks anymore.) High-end SVHS and DVHS decks have the same features.

Even so, don't expect miracles. Such features improve the picture, but VHS simply can't look nearly as good as DVD. When you do transfer to DVD, make sure you use the higher-quality settings, because low-quality DVD (where you can squeeze more on one disc) introduces its own undesirable artifacts.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The Pioneer DVR-310,DVR-510 and Panasonic DMR-E50, E60, E80H, and E100H all have TBC circuits or Time Base Correction circuits. The TBC circuits help minimize the flickering or dancing analog noise that's attributed to VHS and S-VHS recordings. It minimizes only, but it's a huge help in making the picture more smooth looking.

Have a good one.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The Philips also has it's version of the VHS clean up circuit...

My recordings of VHS and 8mm stuff looked great.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My panasonic E50 makes all my old VHS recordings and my Laserdiscs look better. It gets rid of annoying specles and flickering commonly associated with LD.

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
I find that my E50 does *somewhat* improve upon the original source. Most of the time, it's not enough to even notice but I can see an overall "smoother" appearance. Heck, even my wife has noticed the improvements before! :)

However, as mentioned earlier, having a good source tape & using a higher bit rate does help. Otherwise, garbage in = garbage out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks