-

Photo

Brief DAWN OF THE DEAD Divimax review

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 01:00 AM

I picked this up yesterday for a very attractive $11.50 at... a store.

Just a few quick notes.

Picture

This is the best that I've ever seen the film look. While it will never look as good as a big-budget epic from Hollywood, AB has done a fine job of presenting us with a sharp, clear, colorful transfer of the film. The clarity of the transfer breathes new life into the film and cements Romero's reputation as a very talented filmmaker.

Sound

The soundtrack is clear. Like I said, this was a low-budget film. The surround track is fairly inactive. Those who are miffed because it doesn't boast a DTS-EX track should calm down. The film was originally released in mono! In fact, it's nice to see the original mono track included on the disc. My only beef is that I feel they could have left off the DD 2.0 surround track in order to make more room for image bitrate. Not that the picture looks bad (see above) but every little bit helps.

Extras

Not too many, but remember that AB is still trying to put together their "mega set" of the film. The commentary is informative and fun. Having the producer of the disc leading the discussion helps a lot, as sometimes the participants can get off track. The trailers, television commercials, and radio spots are in surprisingly good shape. The still gallery is short and seems to consist primarily of newspaper ads. In the end the extras are fine, especially for the price they're asking.

Those who have never seen the film and wish to take a chance on it will find a great presentation for very little dough. Real fans should weigh whether or not they want to wait for the box set. Remember, though, that the box set has been in the planning stages for YEARS now. Who knows if it will ever come out? The disc is cheap, so it won't hurt so much if you buy the single disc now and then buy the box set later on.

Happy gut munching!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 02:49 AM

Damn, I keep holding off on this movie in hopes of a packed set some day, but you made it sound awfully tempting Brian! Thanks for the review! (I think!Posted Image )
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 03:27 AM

DotD is worth double dipping for Posted Image

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,928 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 03 2004 - 04:33 AM

I'm picking this up this weekend, and I'll be getting the Mega Box if it ever comes out!

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 05:18 AM

Quote:
I picked this up yesterday for a very attractive $11.50 at... a store
is this cryptic on purpose, because of....the release date? my question is, is this the new version of dawn of the dead? i'll buy the box set regardless, but if this is the newly available one, dawn of the dead is one title i will double dip on. see you at one of those new indoor shopping malls.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 06:28 AM

My God, where did you get it. I have it preordered with DDD but it will not ship until the 9th. If I can get it at a store, I will cancel the DDD order.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 06:31 AM

A store here broke street date, and I immediately picked it up as well. I'd say the transfer is near flawless, and the commentary has become one of my new favorites. Its great to finally have this on DVD, as my VHS is so worn out its ridiculous. This film is definitely worth double dipping for.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,705 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, it's the new one. And yes, the ... was because of the street date.

ChuckSolo, you've got a PM.
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Gregory E

Gregory E

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 08:02 AM

Brian, did you get it at a store in the Northern KY area? PM me and let me know if I can get one.

Thanks,
Greg

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 09:17 AM

as mentioned in the other thread, there IS a DTS 5.1 encoding on the disc. It is the 127 U.S. theatrical version.

Mike

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,129 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted March 03 2004 - 10:34 AM

Quote:
DotD is worth double dipping for

This will be my eighth DVD of DAWN. Posted Image

I got the disc last week and I agree with the original poster. The video quality is outstanding so there's nothing to improve on in the Fall release. I enjoyed the new audio mixes but thankfully AB also remastered the original Mono track. I prefer to watch this in Mono so AB made me happy here. The extras are all small but this is just a teaser for the upcoming box.

I hope the upcoming box contains the Cannes cut as well as Argento's cut, ZOMBI. However, I'd really like to see the infamous Drive-In cut, which was released along side CREEPSHOW as a double feature. Apparently every single second of gore was removed and apparently this version looked more PG than R. It would be interesting seeing how much was actually cut. I've seen a cut from Japan where the frame pauses before any of the gore starts. We "hear" everything going on but we don't see it and then after the gore is over, the frame unpauses and goes straight to the non-gore scene.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

• 293 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 11:28 AM

yup...got mine a few days ago and it's fantastic!! and yes...the mega box will be mine also.
My DVD/Film Library
dvd folders under construction:wink:

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 04:07 PM

Anyone seen it in NYC..? Posted Image

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted March 03 2004 - 09:19 PM

I will certainly double-dip on this one.

I have waited long enough.
Dwayne

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted March 04 2004 - 06:37 AM

Oh so I see someone else thinks they can have a DotD sig. They thought wrong. Posted Image
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted March 04 2004 - 06:21 PM

Dave Mack:

Mondo Kims.

Vincent

Forum Nav Content I Follow