What's new

Brief DAWN OF THE DEAD Divimax review (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up yesterday for a very attractive $11.50 at... a store.

Just a few quick notes.

Picture

This is the best that I've ever seen the film look. While it will never look as good as a big-budget epic from Hollywood, AB has done a fine job of presenting us with a sharp, clear, colorful transfer of the film. The clarity of the transfer breathes new life into the film and cements Romero's reputation as a very talented filmmaker.

Sound

The soundtrack is clear. Like I said, this was a low-budget film. The surround track is fairly inactive. Those who are miffed because it doesn't boast a DTS-EX track should calm down. The film was originally released in mono! In fact, it's nice to see the original mono track included on the disc. My only beef is that I feel they could have left off the DD 2.0 surround track in order to make more room for image bitrate. Not that the picture looks bad (see above) but every little bit helps.

Extras

Not too many, but remember that AB is still trying to put together their "mega set" of the film. The commentary is informative and fun. Having the producer of the disc leading the discussion helps a lot, as sometimes the participants can get off track. The trailers, television commercials, and radio spots are in surprisingly good shape. The still gallery is short and seems to consist primarily of newspaper ads. In the end the extras are fine, especially for the price they're asking.

Those who have never seen the film and wish to take a chance on it will find a great presentation for very little dough. Real fans should weigh whether or not they want to wait for the box set. Remember, though, that the box set has been in the planning stages for YEARS now. Who knows if it will ever come out? The disc is cheap, so it won't hurt so much if you buy the single disc now and then buy the box set later on.

Happy gut munching!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Damn, I keep holding off on this movie in hopes of a packed set some day, but you made it sound awfully tempting Brian! Thanks for the review! (I think!:D )

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm picking this up this weekend, and I'll be getting the Mega Box if it ever comes out!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
is this cryptic on purpose, because of....the release date? my question is, is this the new version of dawn of the dead? i'll buy the box set regardless, but if this is the newly available one, dawn of the dead is one title i will double dip on. see you at one of those new indoor shopping malls.

CJ

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My God, where did you get it. I have it preordered with DDD but it will not ship until the 9th. If I can get it at a store, I will cancel the DDD order.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
A store here broke street date, and I immediately picked it up as well. I'd say the transfer is near flawless, and the commentary has become one of my new favorites. Its great to finally have this on DVD, as my VHS is so worn out its ridiculous. This film is definitely worth double dipping for.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's the new one. And yes, the ... was because of the street date.

ChuckSolo, you've got a PM.

Gregory E

Second Unit
Brian, did you get it at a store in the Northern KY area? PM me and let me know if I can get one.

Thanks,
Greg

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
as mentioned in the other thread, there IS a DTS 5.1 encoding on the disc. It is the 127 U.S. theatrical version.

Mike

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

This will be my eighth DVD of DAWN. :eek:

I got the disc last week and I agree with the original poster. The video quality is outstanding so there's nothing to improve on in the Fall release. I enjoyed the new audio mixes but thankfully AB also remastered the original Mono track. I prefer to watch this in Mono so AB made me happy here. The extras are all small but this is just a teaser for the upcoming box.

I hope the upcoming box contains the Cannes cut as well as Argento's cut, ZOMBI. However, I'd really like to see the infamous Drive-In cut, which was released along side CREEPSHOW as a double feature. Apparently every single second of gore was removed and apparently this version looked more PG than R. It would be interesting seeing how much was actually cut. I've seen a cut from Japan where the frame pauses before any of the gore starts. We "hear" everything going on but we don't see it and then after the gore is over, the frame unpauses and goes straight to the non-gore scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks