Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

XM SkyFi car kit with line level outputs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom McA

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 10:53 AM

I want to buy a Delphi Sky Fi system for use in the car and at home, but after I buy the head unit, car kit, FM modulator, home kit, and car installation, the expense of all the assorted add-on doodads just makes it a little too pricey for my blood.

a) Is there such a thing as a car kit with line level outputs for a car stereo aux input? Idunno why the only two ways to get audio in the car is with a cassette adapter or an FM mod. Seems like a car kit with RCA outputs oughta be an option for those with car stereos that don't have a cassette player, but do have aux ins.

b) From what I've seen, the overall price for all the gear I listed above, plus installation, comes in around $400. Are there ever sales, rebates, packages, etc that I should look for to save a C-note or so?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 22 2004 - 01:46 PM

Well, you can get a miniplug to RCAs to hook it up that way.

BTW, the Roady may be a cheaper option, since the car doesn't need a kit. They are reportedly working on a home kit for it.

Jason

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Tom McA

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 12:37 PM

Jason -

Thanks for the info. It does have a miniplug output? Good to know. So a trip to Rat Shack oughta solve that. I just find it weird that they don't offer a degrade-the-signal-as-little-as-possible primary option with the car kit.

As for the Roady, I considered it, but since there's currently no home kit, it's more kludgy using it for both car and home.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Ziggy Szymczyk

Ziggy Szymczyk

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 04:06 PM

Site admin/mods: please get rid of this immediately if its not appropriate here.

There is a makeshift home kit available for Roady at myradiostore.com

A "real" home kit should be out for Roady from Delphi in the coming months. No specific date is available yet. The "real" home kit will have a home antenna, home power supply, a 1/8" to RCA Y-cable, and a stand for the Roady - but NO remote.

Please DO NOT confuse a stand for the Roady with a "cradle" that would have connectors on it. The main difference between the Roady and Skyfi is that the Skyfi uses cradles for EASY removal and insertion, while with the Roady you must alwasy plug and unplug three cables everytime you move it.
Check out www.xm411.com for XM Satellite Radio discussion, help, etc. and www.MyRadioStore.com for all your XM Satellite Radio needs.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted February 23 2004 - 09:54 PM

Ziggy,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 03:00 AM

Quote:
There is a makeshift home kit available for Roady at myradiostore.com

Thanks for posting that, because I knew you had a kit for the roady, but I couldn't find your store.

You really should have a link on XM411 if you want people to find it....

Jason

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Ziggy Szymczyk

Ziggy Szymczyk

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted February 24 2004 - 03:28 AM

Thanks, I know. We are still working on plenty of features for xm411.com , but the link will be there soon.
Check out www.xm411.com for XM Satellite Radio discussion, help, etc. and www.MyRadioStore.com for all your XM Satellite Radio needs.