-

Photo

Asian Cinema on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
684 replies to this topic

#641 of 685 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 04:52 AM

Great big pics of the cover art for the next Fox martial arts wave at:

http://www.dvdanswer....5571&n=1&burl=

I haven't seen the Brandon Lee film before -- any good?

The Hand of Death is a surprisingly solid early martial arts film from John Woo. Despite two pics of Jackie Chan on the box art cover, the actual star is superkicker Dorian Tan. Jackie has one of his best pre-fame supporting roles in this, though. Sammo Hung also is prominently featured, as a bad guy with big false teeth Posted Image and Yuen Biao gets a moment on-screen too.

Just to change the subject, I watched Wong Kar-wai's 2046 on DVD the other day and loved it. (Though my fave WKW film is still In the Mood for Love.) I sure hope 2046 opens in the U.S. someday, but I haven't heard anything about a theatrical release here.
PaulaJ

#642 of 685 OFFLINE   Matt_M

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 11:57 AM

Has anybody seen the Eye 2? How does it compare to the first one. I watched The Eye as well as Abnormal Beauty and enjoyed both those movies.

#643 of 685 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted January 12 2005 - 12:49 PM

I haven't seen The Eye 2, but I have heard that it wasn't that good....
I still want to see it though...

#644 of 685 OFFLINE   Lloyd White

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 06:15 PM

Just say Beyond Hypothermia, those into gun fu with a some good character like in Hard Boiled and The Killer will love this film. That climax was just off the hook. Totally serious film with some really impressive action scenes. I should add that the dvd version I saw was not anamorphic, but the movie was at least good. I'll definetly will be looking out for a better version of this movie in the meantime.

That and an excuse to revive this thread, since it's such a great resource. Also saw Infernal Affairs for the first time and loved that.
My DVD Owned List
My DVD Wish List
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

#645 of 685 OFFLINE   LorenzoL

LorenzoL

Second Unit

• 313 posts

Posted July 04 2005 - 03:34 AM

Wow, this thread is back from the dead.

#646 of 685 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 13 2006 - 06:09 PM

Time to bring this thread back from the dead. It seems like just about every other movie I have bought for the past year is perefect for this thread.

First off a little bit of Miike. I bought and watched IZO and I am still trying to figure this one out. Once again, a beautiful strange movie (what else are you gonna get from Miike?). I know that there is some message between the lines in this movie, but I guess I will have to watch it again to figure it out.

I also saw City of Lost Souls from Miike, wich I thought was good, but the ending kinda felt incomplete.

I just bought Thunderbolt which I am looking forward to watching as I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, and this week I am going to pick up New Police Story.

Speaking of Jackie, can anyone tell me if there is a dvd release date for The Myth?

Thanks in advance,

tyler

#647 of 685 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 17 2006 - 08:09 AM

Quote:
Just say Beyond Hypothermia, those into gun fu with a some good character like in Hard Boiled and The Killer will love this film. That climax was just off the hook. Totally serious film with some really impressive action scenes. I should add that the dvd version I saw was not anamorphic, but the movie was at least good. I'll definetly will be looking out for a better version of this movie in the meantime.
I was about to rent it last night at BB, but immediately put it back after I saw it was English dubbed and no OSL.

Quote:
I just bought Thunderbolt which I am looking forward to watching as I am a huge Jackie Chan fan, and this week I am going to pick up New Police Story.
I watched New Police Story last night. Great movie.
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#648 of 685 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 18 2006 - 08:57 PM

OK, I finished New Police Story, and I liked it alot. Much more serious movie than some of Jackie's usual fare, but entertaining none the less.

I was thinking of picking up Three Extremes, anyone see this? Also, can anyone tell me where I can find a Region 1 version of Battle Royale?

Thanks in advance

tyler payne

#649 of 685 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler payne
Also, can anyone tell me where I can find a Region 1 version of Battle Royale?

tyler payne

Tyler, I have been looking for this as well and I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet due to the price. A pretty penny but here is the link and it is Region 0 not 1 which will still play in all players.

http://www.xploitedc...s.asp?title=610
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#650 of 685 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 11:50 AM

Tyler,

Definitely watch Three Extremes if you get a chance. A must see as far as I'm concerned.

Donnie
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#651 of 685 OFFLINE   Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 12:03 PM

Battle Royale has a couple of different versions out there. I think many are region 0. Try HKFLIX.com or Pokerindustries.com. They should both have it.

Matt
Hong Kong DVD Reviews and News
http://www.loveandbullets.com

New Jersey Punk Rock
http://www.NJPUNKONLINE.COM

#652 of 685 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 01:38 PM

I got my Battle Royal R0 from DDDhouse.com

I have only watched Dumplings so far from 3 Extremes, very creepy. Any word on 3 Extremes 2?

I have really been slipping in watching my Asian cinema...

#653 of 685 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 08:12 AM

Pass on 3 Extremes 2. Not good at all compared to the first.

#654 of 685 OFFLINE   Ian_H

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler payne
Speaking of Jackie, can anyone tell me if there is a dvd release date for The Myth?

Thanks in advance,

tyler

If you mean for a U.S. release than I don't think there is. The HK DVD has been out for months and can easily be had for less than $20 from HKFlix.com.

--Ian

#655 of 685 OFFLINE   Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 03:36 PM

I saw the longer version of Dumplings at last year's Edinburgh film festival. Effective, horrifying, more than a little sexy and it felt rather complete. I imagine the Extremes version will have required a fair wad of clean lifts to make it fit in 40 or so minutes.

Are there decent releases of both versions?

#656 of 685 OFFLINE   ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

• 1,657 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 03:41 PM

The R1 release includes the full length Dumplings on a second disk.

#657 of 685 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 10:57 AM

Does the full length version justify a double dip?

#658 of 685 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 25 2006 - 01:57 PM

OK, I need some help. I was at a pawn shop looking for some old atari games, and on their shelf of DVD's they had like three copies each of "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" Criterion Editions. The guy had them priced at $30 dollars each.

I know that these usually sell upwards of $90 on Ebay. But as most of his other movies were around $5-9, I asked why "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled were so expensive. The guy told me some crap about them being imported, and being rare.

So this guy is either selling pirated copies of these movies, or he has no idea what they are worth. Sorry I didn't have my phone or I would have taken some pics. I am probably gonna go back some time next week, but can anyone tell me how I can tell if these DVD's are legit?

thanks in advance,

tyler payne

#659 of 685 OFFLINE   Ian_H

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

• 571 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 09:22 AM

Here are a couple pics of a legit Criterion Hard Boiled:

Posted Image

The part of the disc that looks gold is just the reflection of stuff around it. The disc is silver except for the silk screened parts.

Posted Image

The Killer supposedly has a white ring around the center of the disc that is supposed to clue you in on the legitmacy of the disc. I don't own that one so i don't know.

--Ian

#660 of 685 OFFLINE   tyler payne

tyler payne

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 04:33 AM

Thanks for that Ian. The Killer and Hard Boiled Criterion are kinda my "Holy Grail" DVD's. I plan on going back on Thursday, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the cover of Hard Boiled had a white banner across the top where it said "The Criterion Collection", but I'm not certain.

Again thanks for the pics, I'll let you know later this week what I find out.

tyler payne

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow